Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike

Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike—and MotoGP Platform?

Honda is planning to revive the RVF model name as soon as 2012 with an all-new, 1000cc, V4-engined superbike called the RVF1000R. Just like the mid-nineties RVF750R—better known as the RC45—this new version will likely be a limited-production, race-oriented machine, positioned well above the CBR1000RR in the firm's range and serving as a new platform for production-based racing. That means not only World Superbike, but also MotoGP, where—beginning in 2012—privateer teams will be able to compete against the factory prototypes using production-based, 1000cc engines mounted in custom frames.

Honda recently renewed its trademark on the RVF nameplate, and newly granted patents have now revealed some of the technology the firm plans to debut with this bike, including details regarding its VFR1200F-derived powerplant. One key difference explicitly referred to in the patent text is a more conventional DOHC cylinder head design in place of the VFR's Unicam arrangement. Whether those cams will be chain- or gear-driven like the RC45 remains unclear: “Rotational power is transmitted in a one-half speed reduction ratio from the crankshaft via a transmission unit to the intake-side and exhaust-side camshafts,” the patent states. “Transmission unit” could be either chain or gears—or a combination of both.

Patent drawings show the bottom end of the engine is basically unchanged, retaining the same unusual, RC212V-inspired cylinder layout with the front connecting rods located outboard of the rear rods on the crankshaft. Another noteworthy change is a new transmission with chain final drive. The VFR cylinder bore is already 81mm—conveniently, the maximum bore dimension allowed by 2012 FIM regulations governing production-based engines. Shortening the VFR’s stroke from 60.0mm to 48.5mm arrives at the 1000cc limit, and creates even more oversquare engine geometry than the quick-revving 80.0x49.7mm BMW S1000RR engine that is currently seen as the favorite for privateer use.

Just as the RVF750R was sold alongside the CBR—at nearly twice the price—the new RVF will be a high-end product aimed at delivering racing success. Honda is certain to continue fielding a pure prototype for its works MotoGP team, but as a firm that prides itself on making the best engines in the world—and the sole engine supplier in Moto2—it is no doubt keen to have privateers choosing its engines for MotoGP use, too. There's little chance any team would opt to use the current CBR engine, which is comprehensively outgunned by the BMW S1000RR and now the Kawasaki ZX-10R. This proposed RVF1000R puts them back in the game.

From the April, 2011 issue of Motorcyclist
By Ben Purvis
Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike-rvf1000r-superbike-.jpg
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
sign me up
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
hopefully this one wont catch fire on me
Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
oooo i like that may have to start putting an extra $50 a week in my FUN fund for a down payment when that comes out
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
not to be nit-picky but there's a few things I can't say that I like.

First and foremost though, the v4 platform is an amazing beast to work with.

Potential problems, SSS? I don't know how much I like that idea on a GP bike but hey, might just be me.

Drab cosmetic too, the front is too plain, I want something that looks like it's going to bite you if you get too close! I do like the solo seat though; gives the true purpose of the bike ;p

And like a thunderbird I worked on, the dual cans on one side set me off a little bit.

I'd sign up for on in an instant though, that's for certain!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bass4dude
not to be nit-picky but there's a few things I can't say that I like.

First and foremost though, the v4 platform is an amazing beast to work with.

Potential problems, SSS? I don't know how much I like that idea on a GP bike but hey, might just be me.

Drab cosmetic too, the front is too plain, I want something that looks like it's going to bite you if you get too close! I do like the solo seat though; gives the true purpose of the bike ;p

And like a thunderbird I worked on, the dual cans on one side set me off a little bit.

I'd sign up for on in an instant though, that's for certain!

its just an artist impression,it will not look like that.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
not too fond of the rear signal/license plate setup, but overall very cool. Any idea how much it might run as it is labeled a "high end product" ?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ninjagoalie
not too fond of the rear signal/license plate setup, but overall very cool. Any idea how much it might run as it is labeled a "high end product" ?
My guess it will be in the "if you have to ask you can't afford it" range.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Dear Honda,
Please also produce a RVF1000S. I loved my old V45 Sabre and sould love to have a more standard version of this new platform. Feel free to detune it some for better street riding performance, change the ergo's for a bit more comfort, and sign me up.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
April issue of the mag and what looks like a photo shop job (that's the rear wheel from the CB1000 sold in EU). Sure this article is real?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
April issue of the mag and what looks like a photo shop job (that's the rear wheel from the CB1000 sold in EU). Sure this article is real?
That mag, and other frequently post photo-chops of what they think a future bike will look like... Nothing odd about that... If the fact's like that Honda renewed the trademark of the names, checks out... The that's a pretty good indication that they intend to do something with those names... What, nobody knows... The reporters are just guessing, and so far, they haven't been right yet about the rumours... The VFR turned out to be a big pig... So I'm not jumping for joy until I see a pressrelease...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Superstock
Superstock

We can keep our fingers crossed. V4's are more complicated but ooohhhh tehy sound good.

It'd be nice to see something lightweight come from them too. A re-do of the VFR 500?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Here's another one.... now to see if they actually build it

Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike-honda%2520rc50%25202011.jpg
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
looks like a sv1000 had a baby with 1000rr
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Squid

linda052 is on a distinguished road
i am interested in it
Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Dear Honda,
Please also produce a RVF1000S. I loved my old V45 Sabre and sould love to have a more standard version of this new platform. Feel free to detune it some for better street riding performance, change the ergo's for a bit more comfort, and sign me up.
I second that. I had a V65 Sabre (125hp & 127ft.lbs.) and loved the torque of that engine. I took the air box apart to make it less restrictive and while at full throttle, you could really hear the valve overlap. Made almost as much noise as the exhaust, which was pretty cool coming from between your legs
Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Squid

usaabn is on a distinguished road
Dear Honda,
It is so great to have a person mention a v45 Sabre. I also own and still ride an eighty two model. I don't see me buying the new RVF model, but I can pretend while riding the Sabre.

ussabn
Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by usaabn
It is so great to have a person mention a v45 Sabre. I also own and still ride an eighty two model. I don't see me buying the new RVF model, but I can pretend while riding the Sabre.

ussabn
Mine was an 82 as well. I generally don't look back when I get rid of bikes, just move on to the next one, but that is one I wish I had held onto.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Squid

RobtheDrummer is on a distinguished road
Mine was an 82 as well. I generally don't look back when I get rid of bikes, just move on to the next one, but that is one I wish I had held onto.
I had the v65 Sabre before I got the Superhawk, love those v4s.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
I am really liking the looks of the new honda fury chopper. look it up :P , the downside is the thing is weak as a kitty. doesn't come close to the power torque figures the hawk has though (what a shame) being its a 1312 v twin. what would have been great for it is if they had the hawk tranny (6 spd) and the vtr engine in it . Oh and the chopper is regulated , shaft driven, and a 5spd . did I mention I likew the looks tho lol
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
They've been threatening a RVF for 15 years, I'll believe it when I see it. :-)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
I am really liking the looks of the new honda fury chopper. look it up :P , the downside is the thing is weak as a kitty. doesn't come close to the power torque figures the hawk has though (what a shame) being its a 1312 v twin. what would have been great for it is if they had the hawk tranny (6 spd) and the vtr engine in it . Oh and the chopper is regulated , shaft driven, and a 5spd . did I mention I likew the looks tho lol
Not a big fan of the weak engine, and plastic engine covers. The overall design is attractive though, but I'd take a Yamaha Raider over it in a NY minute.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
The second pic reminds me of a modernized rc-30 , I like it, cant afford an old rc-30, lol. I rode a 84 sabre for 4 years, then I had a 86' vfr 700 f2 for 10.
I liked the V4 because at 3000rpm or10000rpm it was smooth and forgiving.
V4s don't seem to deliver the potential of the IL4s, without exotic materials
or oval pistons(NR750) lets just wait to be impressed.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by YOUNGJESTER
I liked the V4 because at 3000rpm or10000rpm it was smooth and forgiving.
V4s don't seem to deliver the potential of the IL4s, without exotic materials
or oval pistons(NR750) lets just wait to be impressed.
That's just the result of the way Honda chose to tune them (mildly). The old VF500 engine makes over 60hp (the SV650 makes 65-70). The Aprilia is a MONSTER and it's a V4. They have the same potential as any other engine of the same displacement, it just comes down to what they're putting it in and whether or not the want streetable power.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Here. IT. COMES!

Honda confirms a new V4 super bike project. For my money I would've preferred an I4 w/cross plane crank, ala' Yamaha. All the same benefits, less complexity. None the less, the dragon is awakened and I'm looking forward to seeing what Honda brings.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...v4-sport-bike/
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Having a hard time believing that last post isn't getting more play in this crowd.

I must repeat- *A NEW HONDA V-4 SUPERBIKE IS COMING!!!*
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, interested in seeing what this will be.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
Having a hard time believing that last post isn't getting more play in this crowd.

I must repeat- *A NEW HONDA V-4 SUPERBIKE IS COMING!!!*
I think this crowd is jaded by the hype Honda. They brought forth a new V4 2 or 3 years ago, a 1200 cc auto.manual shaftdrive misdirected piece of crap.

Now that Ray Blank is "retired" from Honda maybe we'll see positive improvements in the lineup!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
The VFR800 was really a great bike, I wish that they would have just put their efforts in redesign towards a better 800 rather than the 1200. one of the big claims is that the weight of the 1200's engine is the same as the 800. Think how much better the 800 would have been with 50 less pounds, or better mpg, or a better touring package-adjustable windscreen. So many things that they could have done to make the 800 better at sport touring. The 1200 kind of sucks, 35mpg? in a touring machine. lame, i dont care how fast it is.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
THE LANE CARVER
Superstock

whatthefnck is on a distinguished road
ya im interested to see this one...and ride it!!

Quick Reply: Honda's Next-Generation V4 Superbike