Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

A Harley I wouldn't be embarrassed to have....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
A Harley I wouldn't be embarrassed to have....

Harley Davidson V4 Engine Prototype Photos

ok, I have a weak spot for the XR1200 too.....
Old 04-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Yes, the XR1200 is the only Harley I would consider owning as well.

Do not under estimate Harley engineering. A vast amount of cutting edge engineering has gone into keeping a 1930s air cooled engine design viable for both modern emission standards and road usage. If Harley Davidson can ever break free of the customer imposed straight jacket I think you will see a lot of innovative ideas.

Oh. . .and I really like their electric bike.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
Yes, the XR1200 is the only Harley I would consider owning as well.

Do not under estimate Harley engineering. A vast amount of cutting edge engineering has gone into keeping a 1930s air cooled engine design viable for both modern emission standards and road usage. If Harley Davidson can ever break free of the customer imposed straight jacket I think you will see a lot of innovative ideas.

Oh. . .and I really like their electric bike.
Yup. HD has the resources to fund a lot of projects. An example is the Live Wire bike. They have the money to pay for whom ever to get the tech they need to see a concept through. An example would be Mission Motorcycles help with HD's Live Wire.
I'm thinking that at some point HD sees the life style customer base dwindling to the point of lost market share and profits. This may be their way to future proof their business. My crystal ball is broken right now.
The V-Rod didn't exactly work out that great for HD. In my mind for obvious reasons. Those same reasons are getting old and dying off and HD sees the furture in a younger and more tech savey customer base.
With the dealer network that is place there is a lot they can offer that some other makers can't.
Or it could be something else entirely.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by xeris
. . .same reasons are getting old and dying off and HD sees the furture in a younger and more tech savey customer base.
With the dealer network that is place there is a lot they can offer that some other makers can't.
So, you think that HDs future customer base will not be so inclined to dress like ZZ-Top and live the biker lifestyle? I tend to agree. I see motorcycle manufacturers struggling to find their markets. Honda is putting out some feelers with the Grom and the Bulldog.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:18 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
ive always had a soft spot for a springer soft tail.

http://www.deyapa.us/adpics/250_3006...398c17102.jpeg
Old 04-14-2015, 01:58 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by hawxter996
ive always had a soft spot for a springer soft tail.

http://www.deyapa.us/adpics/250_3006...398c17102.jpeg

A buddy of mine bought one and I got a chance to ride it. All I kept thinking was "this thing has next to zero suspension travel." It was like riding a roller skate in a gravel pit.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:39 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have no doubt as to the competence of Milwaukee's engineers, but as long as their customer base keeps their hands shackled not much (Livewire being an obvious exception) in the way of innovation will come to fruition....
Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Superstock

I think Harley is making a wise marketing move. They come out with the Livewire but it's not for sale. They give demo rides but it's not for sale. The have a new vehical concept roll out with no enventory and no dispointing sales numbers. It gives the faithful time to breath and to consider new ideas from the Motor Company. If Harley is in this business for the long haul they know that can't bet the company on the whim of beards and chain wallets.

By the way, I have a nifty V-four. It's called a VFR! It's been around a while too.