Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Dynabeads! Any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Dynabeads! Any experience?

Anyone used these? heard of them? for balancing tires. I was looking into getting a setup to change my own tires and in looking for parts came across mention of these.

this apparently is the company website:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

just wondering if anyone has used them or read anything useful about their use
Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I purchased a set for my truck and my bike. I installed the Dyna Beads in my truck two weeks ago and can notice a difference. I had just purchased new tires and had them balanced. They rode smooth but were a harder compound then the previous tires. Putting the Dyna Beads in made the ride much smoother and softer on the highway which I do a lot of. Going to put them in the bike this weekend. Want to try them with and without the rim weights.
Installing them on the truck consisted of having to remove the wheels in order to get the stem vertical so the beads would flow smoothly. Held a set of electric hair cutting shears to the stem and the beads flowed very quickly. Will not have to remove the wheels on the bike.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Flatlander
Squid

flatlander is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HawkRider98
Going to put them in the bike this weekend. Want to try them with and without the rim weights.
Please give us a full report of your results.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I put 2 oz in the rear tire when i mounted it a few weeks ago and have no complaints at all.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Update on Dyna Beads

I installed the Dyna Beads two weeks ago in my Hawk. Installation was easy and quick. Used a set of electric hair cutting shears to vibrate the stem as I poured the beads in. Took longer to get everything set up then to get the beads in. I commute 120 miles round trip, speeds mostly under 70, couple jaunts up to 80 to pass. Kept the weights on the first couple of days. Did not notice any difference, felt the same as running just weights. Took the weights off, running just the beads(1 -7gm weight up front and 3 - 7gm weight left side of rear and 3 - 7 gm right side of rear). Did not notice any difference, seemed the same as running just weights, or the weights and beads. There are a couple of sections of road that are glass smooth and the ride was very smooth, no wheel vibration at 70. Price was $10.50 + shipping(includes installation kit for bikes). Well worth the price and reuseable.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I'm interested in how users found the Dynabeads after using them for awhile.
On a different note, it's amazing how these things go EVERYWHERE when you tear open the package too fast.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I've been using them for a couple years and like them. Just have to position wheels so that the valve stem is at the top when checking pressure. I will buy them again when I run out.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
I have ran everything from BB's to lead shot in my tires on my 4x4 trucks. Started running the Dynabeads serveral years ago and they work the best. I always ran about 20 oz's per wheel due to size of tires. Works great, but have never put them in my motorcycle tires. Maybe i should on my next set, which i need soon.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I'm interested in how users found the Dynabeads after using them for awhile.
On a different note, it's amazing how these things go EVERYWHERE when you tear open the package too fast.
oh yeah, you need to be careful when handling these tiny little buggers. The first time i used them, they didn't want to go in the valve stem easily. I guess this is normal according to the instructions. Took me a while to get them in. The second time, they went right in, unbelievable. I'm not sure why. I believe I may have removed the valve stems while the bike was on the side stand, then jacked the bike up to be able to turn the wheels. Maybe created some negative pressure that allowed the beads to drop right in effortlessly, but I won't know til the next tire change.

It's a good policy to assess the balance of the tire before installing the beads. Place the tire on level jackstands via an axle substitute(straight pipe) to see the state of balance without weight. Usually close for tires with balancing marks on the tires, but i bought a set of Mefos and there was no balance marks, so I ended up deflating and moving the tire around to get it close before installing the beads-PIA, but necessary to do it right.

I like the concept of dynamic balancing because as the tire wears, balance may change but the beads still maintain a balanced state through centrifugal force.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Well they seem to work well enough. No vibration or shakes. Speedo Healer recall says a bit over 130. Hard to get a good run with all the traffic heading to the Pats game.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
Well they seem to work well enough. No vibration or shakes. Speedo Healer recall says a bit over 130. Hard to get a good run with all the traffic heading to the Pats game.
Yeah, good. Pretty cool product.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Squid

bcwood is on a distinguished road
There is a shop in Denver that mounts tires for $15 off the bike, with the beads included. http://stores.303cycle.com/StoreFront.bok Great internet deals too.

Haven't ran the tires yet...
Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bcwood
There is a shop in Denver that mounts tires for $15 off the bike, with the beads included. http://stores.303cycle.com/StoreFront.bok Great internet deals too.

As i stated above, I've been using the beads for a while and am satisfied with their performance. What I didn't mention is that I am careful to make sure my compressor is water free before airing the tires and at subsequent air-ups because this likely will confound their ability to balance adequately.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
I actually bought a pair of Pilot Road 2's from 303cycle in Denver. They exclusively use dynabeads and put them in before mounting the tire. The ride is very smooth and I really like the idea of dynamic balancing.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bcwood

oh yeah! awesome deal on pairs of michelin 2CTs($249 includes shipping)-2 hours remaining. I'm going to add that store to my favorites. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Squid

FlamFlamMan is on a distinguished road
So these things sound great. But has anyone gotten them wet for some reason (water in the compressor)? It seems like that would be a nightmare.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Ok, old thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents: I used Dynabeads on a Suzuki V-Strom (650) I had until this spring and didn't notice any vibration issues either.

That was mostly up to 80mph or so ... I think they might add the "not for racing" caveat.

If you use them, pay attention to the advice to make sure the inside of your tire is dry when you install them; apparently they can clump up if they're wet inside (from any lubricant used to mount the tire).
Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
The racing caveat is for two reasons (from what I've read):

1. The beads can embed on the inside of some soft racing tires when they get hot. Not good. But normal DOT tires shouldn't have this problem ever, even on the race track.

2. The beads take a fraction of a second to distribute to any changes in direction and acceleration. For street use, this almost never matters and most don't seem to notice. But I have noticed under hard braking that I can feel the beads shifting in my front tire, but only when going slower (30 mph or less), when the centrifugal force on the beads is less. It's barely noticeable, but under hard braking, I don't want to feel anything but what the front tire and brakes are doing.

They do provide a very smooth ride though. I'm mostly satisfied with them except for the braking effect I described above.

And I've never seen dynabeads clump from moisture. If anyone can find a picture of that, I'd like to see it. I've looked and haven't found any pics. I guess glue would make them clump, or some sort of liquid tire sealer (obviously don't use this with dynabeads). I would think if you have something in your tire that could make these ceramic beads clump, then you have bigger issues than the dynabeads.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by evines
The racing caveat is for two reasons (from what I've read):
And I've never seen dynabeads clump from moisture. If anyone can find a picture of that, I'd like to see it. I've looked and haven't found any pics. I guess glue would make them clump, or some sort of liquid tire sealer (obviously don't use this with dynabeads). I would think if you have something in your tire that could make these ceramic beads clump, then you have bigger issues than the dynabeads.
I'll admit I've never experienced clumping or heard anyone say they have -- I was basing that statement on a Jake Wilson video on using Dynabeads ... they gave that warning.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well I have stayed away from them as I found this when I did my research:

"We strongly advise against using Dyna Beads in any vehicle used for racing, for any application involving cornering at high speeds, or in tires placed under high acceleration beyond normal highway use. (drag racing, etc)" http://www.innovativebalancing.com/LowProfileTires.pdf

There are plenty of arguments for and against them.

Also, even thought it is a small amount of weight I really don't see how adding 1-2 oz of unsprung rotating mass is better than the 1\4 -1\2 oz I use now.

They also state that they shouldn't be used in racing tires on bikes because the inner liner compound of motorcycle road racing tires is too soft to allow Dyna Beads to perform properly . With the high performance sport tires out now (especially the softer ones) I would wonder if they are getting to the point where they are also too soft to allow proper operation.

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 06-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.