Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

A word on M4 exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
A word on M4 exhausts

Recently I picked up an sv650 on the cheap. Some minor stuff here and there & a new starter and it's one of the sweetest running bikes I've ever owned...Never one to leave stuff alone I scored a full stainless/carbon M4 system for it off ebay for $50. I guess because it didn't have an emblem on it no one recognized it. I called and had a nice conversation with Brandon at M4. First off I wanted a new emblem, which they send you for free. Nice! I also figured I'd ask about the full systems they used to make for the superhawk. I've read on here the superhawk header was a really nice piece, and looking at the awesome header design on the SV exhaust, I'm sure it was. While most others I see look just like the stock header, this one is stepped to a larger diameter and is routed differently. While they currently don't make them or have them for sale, they DO small orders on occassion-he said they made a set of 6 or 8 for a group of TL guys. So when I asked if there were say 10 people (it's a round #) who wanted them he said they probably would. We didn't get into price, and it sounded (he couldn't remember off the top of his head for certain) like these follow the stock header outlet locations like the two brothers (allowing you to use any set of slip ons). I don't endorse or work for them of course, but I know alot of folks ask about headers for our bikes. Thought some of you guys, especially those with engine work, might be interested in the possibility... I'm sure if there was enough interest you could probably work out the details and make it happen.

Last edited by captainchaos; 12-30-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Funny I called them about eight months back (before buying my Akra system) to request the same thing and was told no way (forget who I spoke to though)....
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Hmmm...yeah who knows. You know how you get a different answer from everybody. But he specifically mentioned them recently having done a small batch for 6-8 guys with TL1000's.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Highly interested thanks captainchaos.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well put me down for one if you can work it out
Old 12-30-2009, 06:44 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Hmmm...yeah who knows. You know how you get a different answer from everybody. But he specifically mentioned them recently having done a small batch for 6-8 guys with TL1000's.
I wish guys like those at M4 would just get their story straight. I even asked about getting a small run of 10 made and the guy made it sound like I was asking to have the Rock Of Gibraltar moved. Now all of a sudden they are making small batches like it's a SOP. I guess incompetence and inconsistency are in no danger of disappearing..... $#(&^%!!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Mikstr if that's the case you may have already travelled down this road and I'm wasting my time...hope I don't get anyone's hopes up if that's the case. He emailed me today and said he now has to see if the jigs or whatever are even still available...he did say it would have to be a minimum of 10 and they'd have to be paid for in advance. But again that's neither here nor there if they can't make the darned things. I asked for some info, old pics, dyno charts, etc and told him there would probably be some interest and that I'd post the info on here. They seem to make pretty nice products, and again judging by the build quality of my sv header they seem to be a step up from alot of other headers I've seen. I also love when a company actually provides dyno charts for their products and they do for almost every system they sell. At least I'm getting my free emblem Stay tuned...

Last edited by captainchaos; 01-01-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I wish guys like those at M4 would just get their story straight. I even asked about getting a small run of 10 made and the guy made it sound like I was asking to have the Rock Of Gibraltar moved. Now all of a sudden they are making small batches like it's a SOP. I guess incompetence and inconsistency are in no danger of disappearing..... $#(&^%!!!!
It may be due to the economy. I've been noticing better customer service over the past year. I think the reality of any business closing is finally sinking in.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

I'm surprised this thread is getting so little attention. The M4 header is like the holy grail of VTR headers.....

The stock header does work rather well but if you do replace it the M4 is the way to go followed by the Moriwaki system and then the Akro system (This is IMHO by the way) and the only one of those three you might find is the Akro set up. So the chance to get a new M4 header shouldn't be passed up.

So come on and sign the hell up so we can see if this can be worked out......
Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 AM
MotoGP

agreed about the lack of attention, but that is perhaps because so few know about the M4 system for the VTR. A well-kept secret, unfortunately....

While I currrently have a full Akra system, I could perhaps be talked into partaking in this project if the price is right...
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
What's the nominal hp gain with this equipment? Throttle response?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
agreed about the lack of attention, but that is perhaps because so few know about the M4 system for the VTR. A well-kept secret, unfortunately....

I have no knowledge of the M4 system but i would be interested in this venture. If you guys say its worth then i take you on your word.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

Shayne could shed light on this one as one of his buds ran the M4 system and reported some outstanding numbers on what was a virtually stock engine (notably in the torque department; for some reason the number 82 lb-ft comes to mind)....
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Banned
MotoGP

While I currrently have a full Akra system, I could perhaps be talked into partaking in this project if the price is right...
Yes that is true. The M4 stuff is a pretty well keep secret for that fact that most of us that know keep quite in case one might come up for sale sometime. I mean you can't even find a pic of one on the net.....

even then I haven't seen one for sale in more years than I can remember.....

Has someone cross posted this on speedzilla to see if we can get some more people interested??
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I tried, Oh how hard I tried... But damn you, you always sucker me in...

I'm not sure I could mate them up to my Jardine cans, but if that's possible I'd be interested...

Yeah, finding info is hard, pics even harder...

I can only add what I know, a Swedish team ran a pretty well sorted VTR with an M4 exhaust amongst other goodies for a few years in BOTT (Battle of the twins, a nordic championship) and I talked to their mechanic a while back, he said they tried the M4 on a stock untouched engine (jetting sorted) and it added 6-7hp with the system alone and a re-jet for it... With airfilter and the M4 they got just shy of a 10hp increase with notable fatter torque... (That was about the amount of engine mods allowed per the rules in the stock class)

This is anecdotal, with no figures to back it up... But considering they kicked the snot out of all in the series for two seasons straight I'd say there has to be some merit to it... They later stepped up to the unrestricted class and modified the bike a lot more... I have had a lil testride on it in that form... The M4's was still there and sounding beutiful... But the 128hp wasn't attributed to those alone...
Old 01-01-2010, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

IMO Speedzilla is exclusive RC51 territory, not sure posting there would be of any value. YOu could try on the vtr1000.org site, or the ozfirestorm.com sites though.

Getting back to my previous comments about some on the Oz site runnig an M4 system, I did a bit of searching and came up with this:

1) a chap using the name Nakedchef has (had) one and here are two of his posted results:
i) well with my last lot of runs, i've hit 112rwhp, and a massive 78ft of torque, and the only engine/performance mods to date are a HRC jet-kit, and M4 full race system,

ii) Performance mods -- M4 full race system, HRC jet-kit, open air carbs, BP ultimate

114 hp
82 ft-lb

And that dyno run was also on standard gearing

2) And here are some comments from our friend Shayne about this very system:
-Your other option is to go for a race type set-up like Nakedchef has. It is an M4 full system, and is the trickest VTR exhaust I have seen. How it all fits in there is a miracle. Looks like a carpet snake coiled up under the rear suspension. Tuned length pipes, with 3 balance pipes. Each header has 3 changes of pipe diameter too I think. it's a work of art.

Nakedchef has a heap of info on VTR exhausts, so if you ask him nicely he can pass some of it on to you

So, as you can tell, there is a very good reason why some of us (like myself) are bent on getting our hands on an M4 full system.....
Old 01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Hey Cap'n,
I'm in for a set if it comes to pass. I'm pretty sure I can get the Microns to work with it.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

I have just posted the link to this discussion the UK and Aussie sites, perhaps we can generate some interest....

cheers

Last edited by mikstr; 01-01-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
I was about to ask if the M4 system was worth the money, thought better of it, didn't want to be flamed...

Depends on price but I may sign up? I was actually wanting to get some exhaust for my 98 before spring, had my eye set on Two Brothers slip ons, if the header will work with the slip ons, I am in after we find out on price.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned
MotoGP

IMO Speedzilla is exclusive RC51 territory, not sure posting there would be of any value. YOu could try on the vtr1000.org site, or the ozfirestorm.com sites though.
They do have a Superhawk section and a few of the list members here are on it.... maybe one of them could post something up
Old 01-01-2010, 02:34 PM
MotoGP

I'm a member on Speedzilla but he Superhawk section sees virtually no traffic (often going more than a month between posts)...
Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM
MotoGP

These numbers are pretty impressive given what guys are getting with cams, pistons etc. Jet Kit and a header WOW! I remember NakedChef. Last time I heard anything from he was working on a new carb package for the Superhawk.

Dam you Micky! I rest that I have a few months to build up the bux. I learned my lesson on the stacks. What a beautiful project that was. I am a member at OzFirestorm and FirestormUK if I can help. I used to try to keep up with Oz but haven't been there in some time.

What kind of cans work with these?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk

What kind of cans work with these?
That's one of the specific questions I asked and he wasn't 100% sure because he said he hadn't seen one in so long... Again I know my two brothers header exits just like the stocker, allowing the use of any set of slip ons. Hopefully the M4 does the same. I know the Akrapovic has midpipes specific to the full system. If I don't hear anything in the near future I'll call him back and follow up.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

And I thought I'd seen someone on here that listed having an M4 full system maybe they can share a little more info about it.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 PM
MotoGP

To Markus (Tweety) and Doug (Nuhawk), I am truly sorry..... he he

Seems I'm a bad influence around here......
Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

Here, found an old thread by nakedchef:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9955
Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

OK well let's push on. I remember the tubing size being larger. If nothing else I'll cut my cans to fit.

I know a talented welder in Florida!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Here, found an old thread by nakedchef:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9955
Well that was a pretty good read though some of the info on the HRC jet kit was a bit misleading. Not to get into to much detail but the HRC kits can be set up to run with or without a filter or air box. Though to run the no filter option you have to plug the air bleeds and run a set of mains in the 150's and run a set of needles with a fatter mid-range.

Now back on topic..... it is good to see a bit more interest in this thread and I can only hope that the M4 header has the exits in the stock location or it's a trip to the welder for me also.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM
MotoGP

Is it possible to get a ballpark figure in so far as cost is concerned? One chap answered on the Speedzilla forum saying he could have copies knocked off fairly cheap if we can a hold of one (food for thought)....
Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Is it possible to get a ballpark figure in so far as cost is concerned? One chap answered on the Speedzilla forum saying he could have copies knocked off fairly cheap if we can a hold of one (food for thought)....
That would work also..... to bad shayne can't find the specs he had..... I can get a hold of Daz and see if he might have someway of getting the info and also to see if he ever got around to making copies of the Moriwaki header he was talking about ... now to find his damn e-mail address.

Quick Reply: A word on M4 exhausts