Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Who Might Make a Stronger Swingarm that Will Retro-fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR
Who Might Make a Stronger Swingarm that Will Retro-fit?

Does anyone happen to know who might make a stronger/better-re-inforced swingarm that will retro-fit to the VTR1000F? Will a VTR1000 SP-1 swingarm mount on the VTR1000F?

I am about to go all-out on engine hp/torque modifications and on custom paint for SuperChicken III and hope to add a re-inforced swingarm that will compensate for the additional torque and horsepower. (We're shooting for 120 hp.)

It would be great if I could find an existing swingarm that will retro-fit (SP-1, RC-51?), but I will have a one-off made if I have to do so.

(By the way, I called Big Valley Honda, and their parts rep. said that Moriwaki Engineering only made about 15-or-so of the custom swingarms included on Big Valley Honda's racing VTR1000F [circa 1998], and that finding one of those custom swingarms for sale anywhere is highly unlikely.)

Thanks for your help.
--HotStreetVTR
Old 03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Re: Who Might Make a Stronger Swingarm that Will Retro-fit?

Originally Posted by sckomar";p=&quot
I do not know who makes a stronger swingarm, but I have seen one with a brace welded to the bottom of it. It was done professionally so it look great. You can see it and see the article about the bike at sportrider.com. Go to bottom and do a search for vtr1000. It is the story title something like two different approaches. It looks pretty mean.
from the old discussion list there were a few listers that used the bracing from a 900rr.. hey had it cut and welded to the oem superhawk unit with success.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:48 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'd vote for getting a 900rr brace since they also used a 5.5 inch wheel.
Trying to use an entire swingarm would be a major PITA since most other bikes, even other hondas, used a different shock mount.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out the swing arm in my post "2 beauties" under General Discussion.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:57 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
Easiest way to go about it is to buy a 900rr swingarm off ebay, then carefully cut off the bracing and have it rewelded onto the vtr swingarm. You'll also have to make a different mount for the rear brake caliper.
I don't know of any other bikes that would have a bolt on swingarm for the hawk, as there aren't too many bikes out there that the swingarm mounts directly to the motor like the vtr.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

There is a machine shop in OKC,OK that can brace a stock swingarm for a reasonable price . If interested I'll look up their phone number for you .

Just copy the pics of the Moriwaki swingarm and send to them with some measurements.

Surely though you could get it done localy . Cold bending and welding aluminum ain't that big a deal . Finding the suitable material is the hardest part .