Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

What needs to be dcne to replace rearsets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Squid

mykrowsy
What needs to be dcne to replace rearsets?

I recently crashed my bike, and one of the damages incurred was a broken right rearset. I'm considering replacing both rearsets with some aftermarket rearsets, or maybe I'll just have the broken one welded up.

I heard that replacing the rearset requires me to remove the swingarm to do so. If I need to do this, which I don't want to do, I think I just might have the stock broken rearset welded up by a shop right on the bike.

Has anyone done this? If so, what is involved, and what is a good inexpensive option for the aftermarket?

thanks,
mike
Old 07-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Squid

Monomaster
Re: What needs to be dcne to replace rearsets?

I replaced my footpegs for some Gilles rearsets yesterday & to be honest, it was no big deal at all!
The biggest hassell was unbolting all the brake gear on the right hand footpeg.
All I did was support the bike so that there was no weight on the swingarm by jacking the bike from underneath, keeping the rear wheel touching the ground...
I removed the left hand footpeg completely, then unbolted all the bits & pieces from the right footpeg. The last thing I did was unbolt the swingarm & used a dowling to remove the bolt. The bolt came out without any hassel. Then I replaced the footpeg with the new rearset & re-installed the bolt.....easy as! The whole process took me about 1 hour...