Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Well that didn't last long......

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well that didn't last long......

Or I guess I really am part of the OCMD club now......

So with around 200 miles on my last set up I was past do to make some changes......

Actually as good as the bike was working, there were two things I wanted to change.

The first is to relocate the rads. I left them in the stock position and found the decrease in turning radius more of a pain than I thought it would be. So right now I'm in the process of making upper mounts and the lower mounts are at the welders. It's break time right now as it's the neighbor kids nap time and my garage is right by his room, so no compressor from noon to 3. Small price to pay to keep the peace.

The second issue is the lower triple. Now with the modified stock stuff I was running the forks pulled up 10mm and a 1\4" (6.3mm) spacer over the rear shock. For me and the roads I ride on, I needed the quick steering to try and stay ahead of the flexy flier geometry changes of the stock set up.
Now that things are stiffened up, I find the bike is a little too quick steering. The problem is I have a 954 lower and I part I missed when doing my research is that yes you can run a 954 lower with SP2 forks but.... you have to have them up 10mm as that is as low as you can put them and still have full engagement in the lower. So I finally tracked down an SP1 lower for a reasonable price (though I did have to join a Washington State road racing forum to get it......lol) and it should be here tomorrow. So that will allow me to run the forks back to the stock position which will get the steering to a nice spot and also give me 10mm more ground clearance, so maybe I won't drag the header anymore.......

I'll post up some pics later, after I finish with the rads. Trying something a little different and need to see if it is going to work first....

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 04-06-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:39 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Or I guess I really am part of the OCMD club now......
Our membership is growing, muahahahahahahah
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

So today it was time to relocate the radiators. Now by doing a search it looks like the common way to do this is to make up a couple of bendy brackets as the radiators need to stay on the same plane and can't be moved out.

Well I'm a damn machinist Jim not a sheet metal guy, so I hate to bend stuff. So to get the clearance needed with straight brackets I decided to try and remove the material from the collars that mount that mount the radiators.

So here is the first pic of the day, the standard and shortened collar:

Well that didn't last long......-010.jpg

I also took off around .070 off the rubber grommet to make this fit a little better.

Well I looks like this method does work, here are the mounted radiators:

Well that didn't last long......-016.jpg

Well that didn't last long......-018.jpg

Test fitting the fairing, no issues with it bolting up

Well that didn't last long......-015.jpg

I also did the first cuts on the fairing to clear the new triple. I still have a little final fitting to do but they are close.

Well that didn't last long......-012.jpg

Tomorrow the triple should be here along with a new set of steering hear bearings. Now to bug the welder for the lower brackets for the radiators and I'll be set for another week or so........lol

Oh and I ended up moving the radiators back .725" as the upper hose just touches the bolts for the oil cooler. any farther and I would be concerned about rubbing a hole in the hose.

Stay tuned for more exciting adventures......
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I feel you. My bike was actually "finished" about two years ago after my front end swap. I took it about a mile down the road for a slice of pizza with the 900rr braced swingarm and when it got back home it came back apart for the SP2 swingarm...at least we can admit we have a problem
Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned
MotoGP

So it was time for another "senior" moment this week......

It seems that when I ordered my new steering head bearings (I bet you can see it coming...) I somehow ordered A SH set and not a SP1 set...... damn.

So instead of being back together, it's wait another day and hope they show up.

It does give me another day to figure out what I want to do with this triple clamp. The 954 lower is much nicer to use and is an easy one to set up. The SP1 clamp is a total pain. The steering stops are all wrong. The cleanest way would be to remove the stops altogether and machine up a couple of stops that bolt to the top of the clamp. Alas, I no long have the job where i had access to a mill and a lathe. So now I have to make do with a die grinder.....lol

The problems come from the fact that once you remove enough material from the steering stops to clear the fairing stay, they are too low to engage the stops on the frame. I have a couple different things to try, so I'm sure I'll have it worked out before the end of the day. That or start calling around to the few people I do know that have a mill.... but that might set things back a couple of days and I want to ride the thing.....

More pics to come as I get things sorted......
Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

So with a new set of bits gathered up it was time to bolt everything back together. First there was a little bit of Deja Vu

Well that didn't last long......-001.jpg

Then time to test fit the new triple and steering stops:

Well that didn't last long......-002.jpg

Then get the clip ons sorted:

Well that didn't last long......-003.jpg

Everything bolts up rather quick when you have a little practice.....

Well that didn't last long......-004.jpg

And the pay off, forks pulled down to the stock location and bars 10mm lower:

Well that didn't last long......-005.jpg

A quick test ride around the block to make sure all is well and I'm ready for tomorrow..... and yes it is working even better than before......
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I feel you. My bike was actually "finished" about two years ago after my front end swap. I took it about a mile down the road for a slice of pizza with the 900rr braced swingarm and when it got back home it came back apart for the SP2 swingarm...at least we can admit we have a problem
I really want to see this bike.