Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

VTR weatherproofing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
VTR weatherproofing

I've had the displeasure on a few occasions now of having my bike cut out on one or both cylinders while riding in the pouring rain. As I get ready to head out on a one week bike vacation next Monday, I certainly have no desire to contend with this type of crap. So, I have combined my creative juices with a sheet of 0.5mm aluminum and fashioned some covers that I will install over the cylinder head covers, thereby sheltering the plugs from incoming moisture. As I was a bit concerned about the heat trapping ability of said covers, I decided to add two Forgzskinz vents (breathable and waterproof) to prevent any problems from such heat accumulation. I will be off shortly to install them, and will seal them/hold them in place with aluminum bonding tape (which, of course, can be easily sliced/cut/peeled off come maintenance time).

Your thoughts ?

Name:  P1140574_zpsgnvyvn8p.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  275.6 KB
Name:  P1140575_zpsdunograe.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  219.3 KB
Name:  P1140576_zpscyldlqcu.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  262.1 KB
Name:  P1140577_zpsqqvqqjsu.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  213.6 KB

Last edited by mikstr; 07-15-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I can only assume these are "proof of concept" prototype pieces and the final assemblies will be fabricated from carbon fiber.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

sorry, not this time...... lol

P.S. Of course, if I had access to the proper tools and fabricating facility, you just know I would... he he
Old 07-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Strange,,, I have ridden hundreds of miles at a time in torrential down pours and never had a miss or weather related issue. (other than feeling like a drowned rat)

I think we both are running COP yes? who did you modify the rubber boot to fit yours? did you use OEM style sealed connectors at the COP?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

I am running COP, but not OEM Honda coils (some aftermarket ones). I did my best to adapt the stock rubber boot, but got a mixed result (which I beleive to be the source of my problem). I am hoping this will fix it....
Old 07-15-2016, 12:57 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I had a problem one time with the front plug in a downpour causing erratic running - now everytime I wash the bike I just use silicon grease on the rubber cap boot which inserts in the cam cover. At the same time as bunging a dab under the rubber boot on the starter motor.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Never had issues in any type of rain with the VTR. You should look at what might be causing it. Are your connections fully sealed? Did you solder the wires together and not fully seal the wiring? Are the boots not deep enough to keep water out? Water shouldn't be getting in there with the OEM design, though some silicone might help with sealing.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:09 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Never had issues in any type of rain with the VTR. You should look at what might be causing it. Are your connections fully sealed? Did you solder the wires together and not fully seal the wiring? Are the boots not deep enough to keep water out? Water shouldn't be getting in there with the OEM design, though some silicone might help with sealing.
Read the thread Nick... I think it's pretty self explanatory.

If you know anything about Mikstr, nothing is OEM on this bike....I mean nothing. Even Mikstr is no longer OEM, every time he shows up at my house, he looks different ! WTF !??
Old 07-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Read the thread Nick... I think it's pretty self explanatory.

If you know anything about Mikstr, nothing is OEM on this bike....I mean nothing. Even Mikstr is no longer OEM, every time he shows up at my house, he looks different ! WTF !??
Wut. Who are you?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Wut. Who are you?
Just a guy on the net....
Old 07-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I am running COP, but not OEM Honda coils (some aftermarket ones). I did my best to adapt the stock rubber boot, but got a mixed result (which I beleive to be the source of my problem). I am hoping this will fix it....
And that makes sense.....
I reused the OEM boots sectioned from the old plugs and adapted to the COP.

I played with modeling new boots, and while it worked ..the material broke down quickly ..whatever the latex/silicone/ rubber mix was I got at the hobby store it was not up to the heat and environment of the engine.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:46 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
For my cop mods I had to buy some more boots for the CBR coils. I tried both 600 and 1000 boots. Pretty sure I wound up using what Marquez advised me to use. Also used some of the stock boot.

It was no cake walk and I had some arcing even on the rear coil in the downpours.

Finally built a boot to make it work.

Pretty much have had the bike submerged with no issues.

Its probly worth using some cbr coils. I think 600 ones but again use what Erik used.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
WD-40 instantly stops plug arcing due to moisture and/or dirt that is moisture laden. It is what it was made to do the, WD stands for Water Displacement... They make tiny travel sizes which are handy for touring... That said silicone dielectric grease swabbed inside the boots on the colis and plugs is more prophylactic than WD which is curative
Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
As I was a bit concerned about the heat trapping ability of said covers, I decided to add two Forgzskinz vents (breathable and waterproof) to prevent any problems from such heat accumulation.
Your thoughts ?

With oil and water cooling, I don think the trapped heat from your water guards will be an issue. Very innovative attemp to add cooling though.