Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 04:32 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah
Turbo?

At 9.4:1 this thing is just asking for a turbo......

If not why?
Has anyone?
I am thinking in the future of attempting this feat.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Turbo?

not enough demand for a kit(I think the FIRESTORM is a great package at 100hp(+/-10hp).
Vtwins are also a packaging pain for a turbo. Header length should be the same going into the turbo, therefore the best spot for the turbo would be beside the back wheel, then you would need a pipe back to the carbs which would just make a mess.
Limited power gain. for less money you could sell your FIRESTORM and get a new K5 GSXR(160rwhp), or spend lots of money developing a turbo, and getting to 150hp, and still have suppar supension and brakes.
plus carbuerated turbos are a pain in the *** to tune properly, that is why all the turbo bikes in the 80s had fuel injection(yeah, way back then).
Old 05-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Turbos work great in vehicles that turn real fast. Great in I-4's. Problem is lag, by the time the air gets flowing enough to really get the turbo spinning you need to shift.

Now if you want to keep the same power curve (plenty of low and midrange power) a supercharger is the way to go.

The only problem with this is you need a straight line off of the crank to put on the belt.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

I remember seeing a pic of a VTR with a blower , pretty cool but the bike also had a ton of gold plating and it was purple. Don't know if the blower was functional but it did have a belt running down to the stator cover plug hole.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

well, I think I can pull it off for less than 700, my question is is there a jetkit out that could support 180hp?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Squid

Monomaster

Originally Posted by mystikkowboy";p=&quot
I remember seeing a pic of a VTR with a blower , pretty cool but the bike also had a ton of gold plating and it was purple. Don't know if the blower was functional but it did have a belt running down to the stator cover plug hole.
Yeah, he's a guy here in Sydney Australia!
He has a blower from a V6 bolted up to the side...puts out 220hp!!!
The whole frame has been anodised gold & the paint scheme is in that "Camileon" colour..(you know the one that changes when you change the angle of view...don't know what you call it in the US.)
The advantage to this is there's no turbo "lag"....the downside is it sucks more than a Bankok *****. (Not good with the limited fuel range of the small tank)

As it was said earlier, turbos are not suited to a carburetted engine. If you get the tuning right for engine speed at low to mid revs, they tend to be incorrect at the upper end. This is why fuel injection is better, because you can program the fueling for a number of different applications & engine speeds etc.

If you want instant, cheap & removable power...go Nitros....
Old 05-20-2005, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

[/quote] Yeah, he's a guy here in Sydney Australia!
He has a blower from a V6 bolted up to the side...puts out 220hp!!!
The whole frame has been anodised gold & the paint scheme is in that "Camileon" colour..(you know the one that changes when you change the angle of view...don't know what you call it in the US.)
The advantage to this is there's no turbo "lag"....the downside is it sucks more than a Bankok *****. (Not good with the limited fuel range of the small tank) [/quote]

i've got to see a picture of this!!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah

how much hp will the jet kits support, i have some of the tubing made and i think it is possible but need to know about my fuel since i am looking at about 190hp when i am done
Old 06-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Back Marker

RymerC
Anything is possible
You might try getting in touch with factory pro or dyonojet, they could help you out more than I.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Squid

redsuperhawk

....the downside is it sucks more than a Bankok *****. (Not good with the limited fuel range of the small tank)
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on a forum.

If you have a question about turbos on bikes, go to http://www.sport-touring.net and find the member Uncle Bob. He has a turbo ZRX1200, and would like to turbo just about anything. I believe he's building a turbo'd '86 Ninja 1000 at the moment.

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 06-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Pic of the Blown VTR1000

If you can honestly say you wouldnt like to take this for a hoot, then you should be riding a vespa.

Blown Firestorm
Old 06-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Squid

Monomaster

That's the bike there 'beefa...well done mate!

For those that can't see it, click on the post above where it says.."Blown Firestorm".
The detail is excellent, but I cant say i'm a fan of the purple motor..
Old 06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Squid

VTRBeefa

yep, colour does nothing for me at all, but the amount of effort in getting it to that stage is awsome.. I'd love to see the rear end too, looks like it got some nifty pipes up there.

You getting OZFS withdrawl too Mono ; )
Old 06-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
my god ! ! ! hello REARSETS ! ! ! wonder if hes racing it... lol . looks comfy for east cleveland riding... until its stolen and parts sold on ebay to you guys ! hah