Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Tried my hand at a partial bafflectomy

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Tried my hand at a partial bafflectomy - Now a full!

Now a full bafflectomy. See following posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 holes each muffler. 5 are 1/2 inch (12.7mm), and 3 along the top are 3/8 inch (9.5mm).

I was leery about doing this mod, but I have to say, I'm very happy with the sound. Not raspy like I was afraid.

Painted the inside with some high heat flat black as it was showing a little corrosion (rust)

Totally digging the sound now!

Having a little trouble not being anti-social, lol.

Last edited by rz_racer_69; 02-14-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
that's exactly how I started, left it that way for a few months, then opened it up removing all those nice holes and one rear inner baffle section. Been like this for several years now and still satisfied with the sound. I always wear earplugs though and did even with quiet pipes.

I don't want to remove anymore baffling because it's just right for me now in terms of the sound, but there is another option I am considering. After removing the rear baffle inner pipe, it's totally empty for about 10 inches inside before there is a divider section. So I would like to have about 8" chopped off and then reinstall the endcap section. This would take a good welder so as not to desecrate the stainless. Also would like some bluing(ling below)if that is even possible. The mount would not be disturbed so it seems rather straight forward for a good welder.

https://www.blueflameperformance.com...le-outlet.html
Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

I don't know that I would want it any louder, lol. It's pretty loud as it is. I like for it to sound a little more fire breathing angry, but don't want it to sound like crap. How much had you drilled out before you decided you wanted more sound? How did the sound change, besides getting louder to you? Do you have any pictures of your work, or of the "rear baffle section" you removed? Are you referring to the plate with the now drilled holes and the pipe exiting, or did you go deeper and remove something else? The only reason I wear earplugs is for the wind noise above 50 or so. I like hearing my bike around town.

Re. Bluing on Stainless. Don't think it can be done. Stainless bronzes when it gets heated, Titanium blues. They might be able to put some sort of colored coating on it, but I'd be scared to see what that would come out like.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

sounds deeper and I like it better than earlier(drilled like yours)

Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Took your word for it and finished the job. Did a full bafflectomy last night. I do like the sound better, but it seemed to exasperate a running problem with bucking, jerking, and coughing if I try to cruise at 3000 rpm, so a carb job is probably in order. Seems to do fine if I'm on the gas or spinning higher or lower. It runs along at 2300-2700 rpm nicely, and revs to the moon.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Took your word for it and finished the job. Did a full bafflectomy last night. I do like the sound better, but it seemed to exasperate a running problem with bucking, jerking, and coughing if I try to cruise at 3000 rpm, so a carb job is probably in order. Seems to do fine if I'm on the gas or spinning higher or lower. It runs along at 2300-2700 rpm nicely, and revs to the moon.
That would be called a lean cough.....
Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
That would be called a lean cough.....
Yeah, I kinda figured. One of the PO's reportedly opened up a jet with a drill bit, don't know if it was the pilot or what. I need to get into the carbs now and see, and I'll probably just put some 48 pilots in it to know what I'm working with. The muffler tips were quite clean and not a sign of soot, before I removed them, which seems to be another indicator that it was lean before I opened up the exhaust, and couldn't have gotten better since. Seems to run better if I leave the choke on a bit.

Next project, lol.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Yeah, I kinda figured. One of the PO's reportedly opened up a jet with a drill bit, don't know if it was the pilot or what. I need to get into the carbs now and see, and I'll probably just put some 48 pilots in it to know what I'm working with. The muffler tips were quite clean and not a sign of soot, before I removed them, which seems to be another indicator that it was lean before I opened up the exhaust, and couldn't have gotten better since. Seems to run better if I leave the choke on a bit.

Next project, lol.
Well i would hope they drilled out a main jet as the pilots do not have a straight hole through them but 4 small holes inside.....

The carb thread I wrote would help you get things working well again.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

If they drilled out the mains, should I replace them? I haven't seen anything about bigger mains on any of the carb mod writeups, just replace the pilots, shim the stock needles, and plug one of the holes in the front slide.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Banned
MotoGP

If they drilled out the mains, should I replace them? I haven't seen anything about bigger mains on any of the carb mod writeups, just replace the pilots, shim the stock needles, and plug one of the holes in the front slide.
Yeah that was the write up I was talking about.
I my experience, there is no need for larger mains on a stock engine.
The last set of carbs I did was from a built motor. So even with pistons and cams all it needed was upping the mains one size ( or a 178\180 combo instead of 175\178) 48 pilots and the front needle up .020" (or ,5mm) anf the rear needle up .040 (or 1mm) and the thing runs great.

So if it were up to me, I would replace the mains and pilots (just to make sure no one molested any of the bits) and then plug a lift hole and shim the needles .020" in the front and .040" in the rear and see how things work from there.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

OK, so you're gonna laugh, but I figured if I could "fix" my pipes by drilling big holes, I could "fix" my new lean condition with duct tape.

...and it worked!

I know this is ghetto, and only till I can tune the jetting, but it worked surprisingly well. The way I figure it, I added a restrictor plate made of cloth duct tape. Two 2" strips, not overlapping, all the way across the stock air filter element. Now, after fully hot, it will actually cruise at 3k rpm smoothly. Riding around town in traffic is a joy now and it sounds great. Took it out on the highway to test some heavy handed pulls, and it did great there too. When cold(ish) it still needs a bit of choke to cruise smoothly at 3k, and occasionally kicks with a lean cough without it, but wouldn't cruise there without coughs even with full choke before.

Nice.

Now all I need is time to tune the jetting, and time is hard to come by these days with my work schedule.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Just did the bafflectomy to mine. WOW Love the sound!!!! Looks like it might rain so no going out now, maybe later or tomorrow to do some riding and hear some noise..
Thanks for the helpful idea!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Squid

TJ91 is on a distinguished road
So do you have to Rejet after doing a bafflectomy?
I really want to do the mod, but im very new to modding bikes so have no idea on how to balance and rejet the carbs
Old 07-24-2012, 01:11 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i was wondering too,if i just drilled 3 big holes in each exaust,im sure this would give me a better sound,but would i have to follow the carb setup to get it right again or would it run just fine that way.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

It depends. It worsened a slightly lean condition to a slightly more noticeable lean condition for me. If it bucks, I just pull out the choke **** when I'm riding through town at less than 4k rpm. I need to rejet, it's obvious, just haven't had the time. Put thousands of miles on it in this condition, so it can be ridden with.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Squid

It depends. It worsened a slightly lean condition to a slightly more noticeable lean condition for me. If it bucks, I just pull out the choke **** when I'm riding through town at less than 4k rpm. I need to rejet, it's obvious, just haven't had the time. Put thousands of miles on it in this condition, so it can be ridden with.
Thanks alot for the reply!
I think I'm going to go with a partial and drill some holes first. Did the holes cause a lean condition at all?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Squid

UPDATE:

Alright guys, so I decided to perform the partial bafflectomy today and it turned out GREAT!

I had to wait on my friend for his 1/2" drill bit so I decided to drill the smaller holes up top first. While waiting on my friend, I fired it up just to hear how she sounded with just four small holes in each can. I was pretty shocked at how much it increased the volume with just those small holes. I wasn't too impressed with the sound, it didnt sound like a twin at all but I knew that once I drillled the larger holes that it would sound great. But at that point I was a little concerned but I figuered that a full bafflectomy was Plan B and if that sounded terrible, then a pair of Two Brothers slip ons would be my "if all else fails" plan lol

So my friend finally showed up and we got to drilling out the rest of the holes. And I am AMAZED! I wish I had done this sooner. It sounds great! Im going to keep it like this for a while until I have the funds to have the bike rejetted (since I dont know how to do that) At that point, ill do the full bafflectomy before I get it jetted. But Im beyond happy with the sound of it now. LOVE IT!
Thanks guys for all the info, it truly helps alot and now im grinning from ear to ear. Its pouring here so havn't had a chance to ride it but I can not wait to go out and show all my friends.
My bike got the nickname of the "Sleeper" because of how quiet it was, now its not soo much of a sleeper

Last edited by TJ91; 07-25-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Power User
Squid

Ndogg550 is on a distinguished road
I have something similar done on mine...

When I bought my VTR, the stock pipes had been cut open and shortened by about 4-5 inches (I would guess, not exactly sure) with the ends re-welded on at the new seam.

BUT, ALL the baffling was taken out when it was done - it's just a big open sound chamber now. It sounds incredibly awesome, but it is a bit too loud IMO. I've had it for years, and I'm now used to it but leaving some sound deadening materials would make for a bit more friendly ride.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Ndogg550
I have something similar done on mine...

When I bought my VTR, the stock pipes had been cut open and shortened by about 4-5 inches (I would guess, not exactly sure) with the ends re-welded on at the new seam.

BUT, ALL the baffling was taken out when it was done - it's just a big open sound chamber now. It sounds incredibly awesome, but it is a bit too loud IMO. I've had it for years, and I'm now used to it but leaving some sound deadening materials would make for a bit more friendly ride.
That's what i figured. I was thinking about shortening mine up too, at a point close to the rear of the passenger peg mounts, but intended to leave the forward baffles in. I don't know if it would be louder, the same or quieter but I'll likely find out this winter. I really wouldn't be doing anything but cutting the hollow back section off, leaving the front inners in tact.

Mine sounds good but I always wear earplugs so i can enjoy my tinnitus.

What kind of paint is that and does it hold up pretty well?