Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Steering Damper ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Cool Steering Damper ????

OK, if i can bother you all for your input..good or bad.. What are your feeling on sterring dampers on th SH and which type have you used ??
Needed ? Not Needed ?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Seattle_SuperHawk
OK, if i can bother you all for your input..good or bad.. What are your feeling on sterring dampers on th SH and which type have you used ??
Needed ? Not Needed ?
I am using a Scott's steering damper and I like it for the ease of adjustability. Low speed around town, dial it down, up on the highway increase the setting. Easy to use and works great.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I've never felt the need to run one. Even with the forks pulled up 10mm and a .250" (6.35 mm) spacer over the rear shock. But as always YMMV
Old 05-30-2010, 06:43 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Dampener are required by most responsible race sanctioning bodies.
Search threads for "tank slappers" and "head shakes"
The dampener, when used properly, will cut down on the possibility of this problem if not eliminate it.
Theoretically, a properly set up suspension will lower the possibility of this issue, but you can create strong enough input to upset the suspension and go for a wild ride.
I use a Shindy Daytona type on mine and set it at about 2-3 clicks from free for mildly aggressive riding.
I recommend some type of dampener for any torque monster like the Hawk.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
I fitted a Shindy Daytona damper and it makes the bike extra solid. I run it on the 2nd lowest of 7 settings
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
After riding 72,000 kms./50,000 miles over 9 seasons including riding schools and track days, my VTR has never wobbled, weaved or tankslapped. In my case, a steering damper would involve only added expense and weight. If I were to encounter a problem, I'd check the chassis and tires very carefully first.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a HyperPro for my 900RR and a mounting kit for my 996. This way, when not in "track Use", I could utilize it on my 'Hawk. **** poor fit makes it necessary for me to make a mount from billet aluminum. Will post up pics once made and installed.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I have a Scott's. I bought it mainly to take care of the the front shaking when accelerating hard, but it really gives a better feeling of stability under all riding conditions. It's worth the money.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:20 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have a GPR, it's on there because I got it for cheap. ($110 total invested)
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Never had a stability problem until I had one, it tried to kill me, this first problem was way too much for me, another guy here had the same surprise and kissed the road, I was lucky enough that my cheap front tire gave way before the front dug into the ground to throw me over at 200 km/h, still made a nice S mark on the ground tankslapping lock to lock, giving gas or brake is not an option while bouncing over the bike not holding anything, ended up holding the frame helmet on my tank caught my handles, never got back to this speed yet.
I say even if it's useless you need to have one in case you need one, the goal is to tune your chassis so you don't need it.

Why should I wear a helmet, I have never crashed ...!

Last edited by gboezio; 05-31-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
Why should I wear a helmet, I have never crashed ...!
Spoken like a true Harley dude, lol

Back to the topic at hand, I have a Shindy unit on mine and installed it after having a mild headshake while passing a car on a bumpy side road. Didn't enjoy the experience so I got the damper, no problems since.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:40 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I have the Shindy unit as well. I went with that one because it is more affordable than the others.

Probably wasn't 100% necessary but I definatley recommend it. Even with a shimmed shock and raised forks I previously only had slight wobbles when accelerating hard over choppy terrain. Nothing terribly unexpected. But that is now a non-issue.

As stated by others the bike feels much more solid in every situation. My confidence in the bike and myself has increased as a result.

I know I didn't add much to the conversion. Just reinforcing others' ideas.

Oh, but if you have it turned up too high it can make parking lot maneuvering a bit of a challenge.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive got the shindy aswell i like it. ive got it at around the number 4 or 5 setting towards hard. i find its nice when i come off a wheelie too hard, also after getting some speed wobble on one of my first outings on a bike i was a little rattled and this thing seems to have taken care of it.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i have a hyperpro and just love it ( ok, the mount to the triple blows ).

lofting the front tire, small & large potholes in the road & even a slight tuck on a tar snake while leaned over can make any stable bike a handful.

along with a fork brace i get better feedback from the front tire with the front end really tightened down. i made a big improvement at the track.

tim
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i noticed that the bike like you mentioned is alot more stable on tar snakes than it was last year. ive ogt my suspension setup by me and it seems to be working great and i thought it was the reason the tar snakes werent as bad this year but now that you mention it the damper is doing the work. makes them alot less noticeable
Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
I don't know who this is made by but, I like what it makes me do more of......

It makes me really lean more to turn the bike. This has taken great pressure off my forearms and increased saddle time.
I traded for this piece not really confident it was for a hawk. Regardless I was never going to need the piece I traded away.
My mechanic says the sticker is from RC car racing and has zero to do with manufacturing identification. I haven't done a considerable amount of looking into it. I would like some information if someone knows something?.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Damper ????-london-030.jpg   Steering Damper ????-london-031.jpg   Steering Damper ????-london-032.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sschuyten
It makes me really lean more to turn the bike. This has taken great pressure off my forearms and increased saddle time.I traded for this piece not really confident it was for a hawk. Regardless I was never going to need the piece I traded away.
My mechanic says the sticker is from RC car racing and has zero to do with manufacturing identification. I haven't done a considerable amount of looking into it. I would like some information if someone knows something?.
interesting. at speed i think that we fight the 'tuned chassis' and find fixes to get things a bit more rigid. with the damper on tighter settings you should feel confident that the tire will track and be able to do what you should... be light on the bars, but this comes at a price... when you do want to turn the bike it takes greater force. in my case i get a bigger workout with the damper, but i run it pretty tight as our track has more higher speed corners than tight technical ones.

tim
Old 11-04-2023, 09:31 AM
Squid

skydivecarl is on a distinguished road
Has anyone got any detailed photos of how to mount one, I have a universal damper but no fitting kit, I can't imagine it being too difficult to fabricate one.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:44 AM
Squid

skydivecarl is on a distinguished road
In the photos I can see the fork clamp easily but I can't see how you have mounted it to the frame clearly, did you drill into the frame..?