Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ohlins steering damper

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Ohlins steering damper

I ended up with a free Ohlins cylinder style steering damper set up off a 06 ZX10r, Would like to put it on the Hawk across the front of the tank (916 style ) . Ohlins doesnt offer a mount kit ! I was thinking maybe a Daytona , Shindy or another companies mount kit may be retrofitted to work . Has anyone attempted this ? If so I would love to see some pictures or some suggestions . My bike doesnt really need it ! But since I have it ,might as well use it if possible ?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Superstock

Ok , Anyone done a 916 style mount with any kind of dampner ? Just want to know what I might make work with the Ohlins .
Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Proper suspension setup will negate the need for a damper, unless you're racing it of course. I've had one tank slapper since I bought my bike in '98, in 2nd gear, WFO over railroad tracks. After working the suspension I've not had one since.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Proper suspension setup will negate the need for a damper, unless you're racing it of course. I've had one tank slapper since I bought my bike in '98, in 2nd gear, WFO over railroad tracks. After working the suspension I've not had one since.
Hadnt had a tank slapper yet ! But since I have it , would kind like to use it . Besides It couldnt hurt .
Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i get asked this question all the time ( the superhawk is known for stability ) since i put my hyperpro damper on.

i LOVE it !

i'm -1 +2 and could feel how much i lighten the front end when i get hard on the gas ( apex ). our road conditions out here in the NW are not the best, mid corner frost heaves are the worst, adding to the fact i've raised the rear it was a bit twitchy. granted, some of the problem was/is my inability to stay light on the bars but i found myself doing a lot more line corrections than i did on my suzuki. the damper has helped 10x. some of which is holding my line over sections of road i'd normally try to avoid.

granted if i had better rebound damping i may have avoided some of the problems ( modified stack, w/ 7W & .95 springs ) but i'm tring to get the most out the bike with what i have.

on the track is were it really shines, since PIR is not a 'technical' track i can really crank the damper down and once i turn it in holds a line pretty well ( what frame flex ? ) i can get on the gas early without worry !

tim