Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

so let me get this straight (rear shock)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
so let me get this straight (rear shock)

There's absolutely NO rear shock off of ANY other bike that can bolt in/ somewhat easily be modified to fit the sh?

If so Honda engineers must have been on some straight up crack.

I don't need an amazing penske shock, or tuned for me and only I, just SOMETHING even just a lil bit better.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
You check out the F4i swaps Jamie d does?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
There's absolutely NO rear shock off of ANY other bike that can bolt in/ somewhat easily be modified to fit the sh?

I don't need an amazing penske shock, or tuned for me and only I, just SOMETHING even just a lil bit better.
So sorry, but you fail at searching...

Originally Posted by zmaniv
You check out the F4i swaps Jamie d does?
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=oem+shock
Old 10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Oh I searched and I saw them. 400 bones is WAY too much.

Don't get me wrong I'm 1000% sure it'd be night and day better but too much money for a sub $2,000 bike.

AND this is coming from a guy who regularly puts significantly more money into vehicles then they are worth.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

Don't get me wrong I'm 1000% sure it'd be night and day better but too much money for a sub $2,000 bike.

AND this is coming from a guy who regularly puts significantly more money into vehicles then they are worth.
What's your weight?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road

Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well sorry to say but I find this rather funny as you have bitched about the price of every part you have talked about or said you are looking for....

Just how much should a suspension component cost??

Why are Honda engineers on crack, just because thay didn't make the shock the exact same size as on some other bike??
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
That's the problem with drinking the Koolaid re: market value on a bike. You feel handcuffed into not spending any money on it. I saw the same thing for 10+ years in the car repair business; people get a car for practically nothing and will not spend a thin dime on it to address it's shortcomings/issues. It got tiring so I moved on to doing something else. Me personally, I'll make a bike right for myself, regardless of it's price. You can always keep your OEM shock and resell your F4i redone shock when you sell the bike. I intend on parting out my Hawk, or selling it stock when I am done and selling all the high dollar extras on their own.
-R
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

I guess vtr parts and conversion pieces are significantly more expensive (to me at least) than new from taiwan/japan scooter parts or hard to find classic cafe parts.

I will shut my mouth and ask significantly less questions from now on.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Like i said every one of my vehicles has WAY too much money into it. I like to make them mine and customize but two recent insurance dealings leaving vehicles totaled from just 1 simple NON fault of mine accident leaves me much more wary....
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
What's your weight?
approx 185
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
MotoGP

I guess vtr parts and conversion pieces are significantly more expensive (to me at least) than new from taiwan/japan scooter parts or hard to find classic cafe parts.

I will shut my mouth and ask significantly less questions from now on.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Scooter parts are dirt cheap... Comparing them to just about any parts for a fullsize bike is just not possible... And classic bike parts are easily categorised in two parts, one is reasonable, the other outright robbery... So saying that, I can tell which part you have dealt with...

But the VTR is an "old" new bike, and it wasn't very popular when it was new, for rather odd reasons, so most special parts that fit the VTR alone is stupidly expensive... Parts that can be made to fit, but are really for other bikes aren't as a general rule...

However, suspension have never, ever, been cheap, not for any bike... So 400 is actually fairly reasonable if you take into account what it gets you... The shock is lengthened to fit the VTR, and the spring and valving is changed... That is parts that Jamie more or less charge you his purchase cost for... And then it's rebuilt and recharged with fresh wear items and oil... The cost is easily justified...

However, the reason I asked your weight, is that if you where lighter, you could just stick the shock on there with a rebuild and a longer shock mount... But at your weight, that's not an option... You can still "save" by using a longer shock mount, but you need a heavier spring and changed valving, and no shop will do that at the cost Jamie will, I can pretty much promise you that... So, either spend the cash for a basic style aftermarket shock, or get in contact with Jamie...

And instead of not asking questions, I'll give you an easy tip to getting good answers... When you have searched and read, like in this case about the F4i shock, reference that in the question... Then your question becomes "I know this, is there other options" instead of, "I cant be bothered to search, feed me all the info you know about topic X"... Which tends to get you a lot of discussion instead... I'm usually one of the one's that will bite peoples heads off, this time I happened to be in a talkative mood...
Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
The market is a little weird. That a nice SH can be had for $3k while a mid level racing bicycle can fetch $1-3k more is just nuts to me but if the SH platform is the ultimate for you then consider the cost of entry a bonus (imagine if you were starting with an Italian bike..).

Think about what you want the bike to do better and figure up the costs to get there. If there is stock bike out there that already does all the "better" things you're looking for then it's worth considering moving over to that bike. Even so, $400 for a quality motorcycle rear shock is not terribly unreasonable, it just seems like a lot against a realistically undervalued bike. For all the bikes out there, a very small percentage get modified, that drives the market size down for parts like this.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
Scooter parts are dirt cheap... Comparing them to just about any parts for a fullsize bike is just not possible... And classic bike parts are easily categorised in two parts, one is reasonable, the other outright robbery... So saying that, I can tell which part you have dealt with...

But the VTR is an "old" new bike, and it wasn't very popular when it was new, for rather odd reasons, so most special parts that fit the VTR alone is stupidly expensive... Parts that can be made to fit, but are really for other bikes aren't as a general rule...

However, suspension have never, ever, been cheap, not for any bike... So 400 is actually fairly reasonable if you take into account what it gets you... The shock is lengthened to fit the VTR, and the spring and valving is changed... That is parts that Jamie more or less charge you his purchase cost for... And then it's rebuilt and recharged with fresh wear items and oil... The cost is easily justified...

However, the reason I asked your weight, is that if you where lighter, you could just stick the shock on there with a rebuild and a longer shock mount... But at your weight, that's not an option... You can still "save" by using a longer shock mount, but you need a heavier spring and changed valving, and no shop will do that at the cost Jamie will, I can pretty much promise you that... So, either spend the cash for a basic style aftermarket shock, or get in contact with Jamie...

And instead of not asking questions, I'll give you an easy tip to getting good answers... When you have searched and read, like in this case about the F4i shock, reference that in the question... Then your question becomes "I know this, is there other options" instead of, "I cant be bothered to search, feed me all the info you know about topic X"... Which tends to get you a lot of discussion instead... I'm usually one of the one's that will bite peoples heads off, this time I happened to be in a talkative mood...

scooter parts are NOT cheap when theyre honda ruckus/high end zuma parts

check out Standard Functions

Your Source for Premium Japanese Brands Daytona, Kijima, KN-KIKAKU and more..

WELCOME TO RUCKSTERS.COM

www.bowlsla.com/ruckus

i'm not talking cheapo **** china scoot. lol
Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Also, I understand the value of good suspension components I more or less was looking to see if any shock from any other bike may be long(ish) enough to fit vtr / be remotely close to correct(ish) spring rate, and have correct or easily corrected mouunting style to vtr.

I have spent many many many dollars on many things awesome, well worth, worthless, trial and error.

I just thought if anything slipped in.... I read a few shock threads and everyone was pointing to Jamie, yes I know he's good I was just looking(hoping) for some ghetto way around spending the cash (or in reality) doing without.

Thank you for responding. Tweety you seem a right good chap.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road

Haha! What? I know you're taking a lot of heat in this thread, could you imagine the design team that would have to think of that? Should they use all the same sized fasteners for all of their bikes and swappable frames and bolt on gas tanks too? Then you could just switch motors and have a different bike! Then they could make 8 bikes out of 20 parts and move on to lawn mowers!

Just having a little fun... I doubt that before 1997 when they were designing the bike that they were concerned with people finding a reasonably priced shock in 2011
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

NO but shocks are all BOUGHT in components tis why there's only so many fork tube diameters and the like.

Also quite right they weren't thinking of 14 years down the line.

One thing I'll NEVER understand on ANY motorcycle they spring them for their Test riders (feather)weight... not even TRYing to match an average riders weight (fat arsed Americans or not)

Last edited by mertechperformance; 10-19-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Nah I understand what you're saying, just though the way you worded it was hilarious. Like they all took a whiff of Brazilian marching powder together and decided they'd pull a fast one on ye old customer and design a shock that was hard to replace. Just for kicks!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

You know it brother.

"Cocaine's a hell of a drug"
Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM
MotoGP

NO but shocks are all BOUGHT in components tis why there's only so many fork tube diameters and the like.

One thing I'll NEVER understand on ANY motorcycle they spring them for their Test riders (feather)weight... not even TRYing to match an average riders weight (fat arsed Americans or not)
No, scooter parts aren't "cheap"... But look at those parts and check the prices for a comparable part fitting a 2005-2010 CBR, and you will run and hide...

It's not quite that simple with the shocks... You are right that the suspension is mostly a standard list of parts to choose from and combine... One thing is left out of that simplification though...

The rear shock was on most bikes in 97 when the VTR was made a one piece design... Some race bikes and high end bikes had a external reservoair on a hose, like the F4i's... Most bikes didn't have it or didn't need it...

Then the shock components changed and a lot of newer shocks that would be potantial upgrades got a external reservoair... And in the interest of low weight, low cost and others, the OEM manufacturers added one piece to their toolkit, a top mount with channels for the reservoar... And that is "custom" to the model, putting it at the angle, placement whatever that the specific bike needed... That's fine for the stock bike, but a PITA when trying to swap the shock to a bike like the VTR, where there was none to begin with...

Aftermarket shocks are more modular, the same shock with different spring and valves fit more than one bike, so here a hose makes sense making it easy to move the reservoar around...

The threads that you claim to have read lists 5-10 shocks that would "fit" in terms of lenght, springweight and similar if it wasn't for the reservoar poking into the swingarm or battery box or whatever...

That's what makes it a challenge to find a replacement part... The F4i is possible and even fairly easy to fit physically, but it's source bike has a lower weight/other mechanical leverage, so unless you are really light, it needs expensive changes, not just a longer mount... There are other shocks that fit better in terms of spring/valve but is impossible to fit without removing the battery box...
Old 10-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I am in the same boat - I want a good shock but even 500 bucks for a new one would be like 400% markup for the person making it; I don't think I should have to give people that much money when the R&D is long paid for...1200 bucks for ONE SHOCK ABSORBER is ridiculous. The entire race-ready setup for my BMW cost less than that.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blamecanada
I am in the same boat - I want a good shock but even 500 bucks for a new one would be like 400% markup for the person making it; I don't think I should have to give people that much money when the R&D is long paid for...1200 bucks for ONE SHOCK ABSORBER is ridiculous. The entire race-ready setup for my BMW cost less than that.
I'm not sure what shock you are referencing at $500 new?

The one's discussed here are aftermarket, none of those will cost less than $1000 new, or Jamie's conversion on the F4i shocks...

The conversion is based on a used shock, but parts alone is more than $300 of those $400, and he's machining the shock mount and adding a billet peice to lengthen it... So unless you are hoping somebody will donate the parts and work for free, those $400 are going to a guy doing work, not to a company owning a CNC machine...

BTW, what race ready complete suspension (front and back?) can be had for less than $1200?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

I'm going to assume he's talking about a bmw CAR.

I've bought multiple REAL multi(height, preload,compression,rebound) adjustable car coilovers for less than $1500
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Sanely riding since 1975!
Squid

Travelinguy1960 is on a distinguished road
Wow, having a problem with the "poster" of this thread.

So.... you have a little ruckus that you sunk a ton of money into(God knows why) then you complain about the engineers who designed a sportbike to compete with Ducati because it does not have interchangeable rear shocks like inferior bikes may have.

Did you know that almost every part of the Superhawk was designed specifically for this bike?
Did you know it was the most expensive sportbike Honda had ever made?

Are you new to sportbikes?

Seeing the list of others on your signature, I wonder...
I wouldn't be caught dead on any of them.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:50 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road

I rode the stock shock for 9 years and you can drag **** and do as well or better than most. Is the rear shock a weak link? Of course, but it doesn't stop you from riding hard, just need to find it's limitations and try not to exceed them. You can mitigate the effects of inadequate parts by honing your riding skills and, if and when you have the financial means to improve your bike, you'll be better qualified to identify where to put your money.

"rob the drummer" recently bought a SH and we dropped his front 10mm and shimmed the rear 6mm, set the sag and he does well in the turns and he's like 220lbs.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
IMOP- Any squid that has only got their scooter "build up" that they rode thru high school to refer to for pricing on suspension, engine,etc. Truely should listen to the group. Or the group should ignore those squids stupidity..
We that "RIDE" a motorcycle.. Ride safe, with components (forks, rear shocks) set-up for our riding levels. And we that "RIDE" , are willing to pay the prices (out of our pockets or with our own hands) to ride at those levels.
GMDcomputrack set-up my 2001 S-hawk-$1800.00(forks,rear shock(penske) and aligned the chassis) I consider myself a "RIDER"....

Spend the money, or sale the bike..
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
The less expensive alternative is a stock SuperHawk shock rebuilt by JAmie Daugherty. It's a lot less than $400 and it's way better than the stock unit in original condition. I had this done earlier this year.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Originally Posted by Travelinguy1960
Wow, having a problem with the "poster" of this thread.

So.... you have a little ruckus that you sunk a ton of money into(God knows why) then you complain about the engineers who designed a sportbike to compete with Ducati because it does not have interchangeable rear shocks like inferior bikes may have.

Did you know that almost every part of the Superhawk was designed specifically for this bike?
Did you know it was the most expensive sportbike Honda had ever made?

Are you new to sportbikes?

Seeing the list of others on your signature, I wonder...
I wouldn't be caught dead on any of them.

Look up the NR750. Limited production but their most expensive sportbike. more than the sh was in 97 and IT came out in 92

Not new to sprotbikes but this is the first older one I plan on keeping.

Thanks for the slam on the bikes I own. I don;t see anyone talking **** about your lil interceptor....

TRUST I know Ruckus and ANY sportbike are in different worlds but they're TUNER bikes. Most owners were or are still into the import car scene and moved into customizing The ruckus. It's about being different not being FAST and "COOL" cause "omg I ride a sportbike, all others are pieces of ****." "totally bro, look at what else he owns dude is a poser squid bitch"

Yeah that's how you and a few others on here come off.

Last edited by mertechperformance; 10-20-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Sorry I was just looking for something cheaper that may have not been explored. sorry for TRYING to be thrifty. Yes I know sportbikes are pricey. But I also know that throughout the years I've always done a lot more than a lot of folks all the while spending less money.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
IMOP- Any squid that has only got their scooter "build up" that they rode thru high school to refer to for pricing on suspension, engine,etc. Truely should listen to the group. Or the group should ignore those squids stupidity..
We that "RIDE" a motorcycle.. Ride safe, with components (forks, rear shocks) set-up for our riding levels. And we that "RIDE" , are willing to pay the prices (out of our pockets or with our own hands) to ride at those levels.
GMDcomputrack set-up my 2001 S-hawk-$1800.00(forks,rear shock(penske) and aligned the chassis) I consider myself a "RIDER"....

Spend the money, or sale the bike..

go to totalruckus.com

Most all the guys on there are ex import car guys and have 4-12grand dropped into a 50cc stock $2,400 slow scooter.

I didn't ride anything but dirt back in high school.

I love the mentalities here. you must all be Rossi's, or the like.....

It's about the ride. if you ride then you're cool with me. Yeah, even the tool bag weekend warrior Harley guys. they may be douchebags but they're still out riding.

I guess a lot of you guys are elitists. To call me a squid is a bit of a jab but it's cool. to some I'm sure I am but i've also got loads more seat time than some and loads more wrench time than others.

it's all good I have just learned that a good deal of folks on here are hostile older guys who could give a rats *** about even trying to not come across as a dick.

Great, you have more money (or are willing to spend more) than I do. You've probably been riding longer than I have.
You might have or do own nicer bikes than I do.
Have probably owned more bikes than I have.

That's cool. I believe it.

I by no means am claiming to be king of awesome as a few of you claim to be.

I have owned over 25 motorcycles in the last few years span and have wrenched on many many many of them and friends bikes.

I am NO pro. But at that same token I believe that EVERYONE including myself deserves some respect.

Guess not.

TRUST I know that forums are whatever and I am NOT butthurt I'm the "King of hate" on Totalruckus I dish out and can take it but man this site is a bit odd....

Quick Reply: so let me get this straight (rear shock)