SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   So I guess I will be the Guinea pig (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/so-i-guess-i-will-guinea-pig-30879/)

sailorjerry 08-06-2013 06:58 AM

Just got the email back from danmoto about the tracking not showing up and they fixed it. I can't complain about customer service they were quick to respond and quick to fix it. Rear sets are in Shanghai leaving on a jet plane.

sailorjerry 08-10-2013 12:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok guys, they came in today. Here are some better pictures of them. I will not have a chance to do the install till wednesday, so I will just be doing coments of how they feel and look as of right now.

Attachment 15969

Attachment 15970

Attachment 15971

Attachment 15972

Attachment 15973

sailorjerry 08-10-2013 12:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15974

Attachment 15975

Attachment 15976

Attachment 15977

sailorjerry 08-10-2013 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15978

Attachment 15979

sailorjerry 08-10-2013 01:05 PM

Ok, now that all the pictures are uploaded....

Positives- The sets feel great, the pegs with the perforations are extremely grippy, the sets feel very solid and stiff, the adjustability is quite a bit, and the shifter position is adjustable ( about 2 inches back from stock rear sets, all the way up to about 2-3 inches closer, and the can be about 1/2 - 1 inch higher or lower than stock) which is nice. The are pretty thick so hopefully the will be durable in the event of a low side. the shifter and brake lever both have the perforations to add some extra grip to them, and both the shift lever and brake lever both have 2 ball bearings each in them at the attachment point so they move freely.

Negative- IMO the only down side so far that I could find is the small whimpy heal guards, they don't feel very durable (they are real carbon so I am sure they are) and they are pretty small, so I wont be able to comment more on that till they are on the bike and I get to try them.

insulinboy 08-10-2013 02:43 PM

Honestly I think even the stock heel guards are a little small.. being an R/C dealer I can order blank sheets of carbon fiber in varying thicknesses so I may end up making my own at some point.. I have a fairly huge foot though.

Still interested in your write up, those look pretty pimp and while I'm happy with the stock location of the pegs I may end up having to get a set anyway :lol:

sailorjerry 08-10-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by insulinboy (Post 360692)
Honestly I think even the stock heel guards are a little small.. being an R/C dealer I can order blank sheets of carbon fiber in varying thicknesses so I may end up making my own at some point.. I have a fairly huge foot though.

Still interested in your write up, those look pretty pimp and while I'm happy with the stock location of the pegs I may end up having to get a set anyway :lol:

When I did a quick mock up to the bike with the stock sets in place they will actually adjust into the stock location.

smokinjoe73 08-10-2013 03:26 PM

See, I told you those China shipments are getting faster.

sailorjerry 08-10-2013 03:45 PM

Yeah, it was pretty quick.

sailorjerry 08-11-2013 11:29 AM

Questions, comments, or concerns??

CruxGNZ 08-11-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sailorjerry (Post 360739)

When you get them installed, let us know how they do when you stand on both pegs with your full weight.

Craigvtr 08-18-2013 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by sailorjerry (Post 360739)

Hi
I have been looking at these myself and have followed your thread with interest, thanks for the great pictures the rear sets certainly look like decent quality.

The only thing I cannot see from the shots is if there is a mounting point for the exhaust to match the original rear sets. Can you give me a comment on that aspect of the pegs.
Thanks
Craig

insulinboy 08-18-2013 10:40 AM

Actually I have another question. With this set would it be possible to do a GP shift mod? (1 up, 5 down instead of 1 down, 5 up)

KCCO 08-18-2013 12:00 PM

I don't see why you couldn't. To reverse the shift patern you rotate the shifter 180 on te splines. There is a thread on here somewhere about it. I don't believe that it would change with a different rear set.

Stumpy 08-18-2013 12:22 PM

Do you have Pics of them on the bike?

7moore7 08-18-2013 01:29 PM

Here's the tasty gem of a thread:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...hifting-27577/

lloydievtr 08-18-2013 01:47 PM

i think i might get me a set if they hold up to so use

sailorjerry 08-18-2013 06:16 PM

I have yet to be able to mount them to my bike because I'm forks are still with Jamie and he said they should be back this week sometime. And the only way I have to put the slack needed in the swing arm is to support the rear of the bike from the ceiling in my garage which is how my front end is currently being suported.

Yes, the GP shift mod can be done with these sets, it might even have better feel because the shift lever and rod mount are adjustable as well.

kenmoore 08-22-2013 01:57 PM

Got mine today, only thing to overcome is that there are no mountings for the link pipe brackets.

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

CruxGNZ 08-22-2013 09:14 PM

When I first assembled my bike, I didn't have any stainless bolts for the hangers, and meant to go to the hardware store when I first got the chance when the bike got on the road. Well, I completely forgot about it and 2,500 miles later and nothing is wrong with the exhaust. No leaks and the new gaskets are still tight and in place.

My point is, nothing has moved and I'm confident nothing will move if you don't have those bolts in place.

sailorjerry 08-23-2013 05:33 AM

I have high mount Jardine rt-one's so I do not need them.

Like crux said I really don't think you have to have the mid pipe brackets though, I think it should support it self.

kenmoore 08-23-2013 11:34 AM

That's good to know!

CrankenFine 08-23-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stumpy (Post 361120)
Do you have Pics of them on the bike?

+1

sailorjerry 08-23-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 361413)
+1

Like I stated earlier, I am still waiting on my forks to get back from Jamie (it's taking a bit longer than I expected) so I can lift the rear off the ground to put them on, once I can do this I will install them and take pictures. Hopefully sometime next week.

kenmoore 08-24-2013 04:55 AM

Looking forward to that.

Can you do a pictorial?

sailorjerry 09-11-2013 09:11 PM

Well, after a month and a half, I have fitted them to the bike. And I must say, so far I am very unhappy.

Once mounted up I found that the shift arm hits the swing arm as soon as it is tightened down making it impossible to shift, and when any weight is put on the suspension the brake lever hits the swing arm.

So tomorrow when I get to work I will be getting longer mounting bolts for the rear set to adapter plate, and 3mm spacers for them, and go from there to see what I can come up with, more updates after I get them installed correctly.

Also just because of how much I paid for them, and the fact that these issues seem to me like lack of proper testing of the product being sold, I emailed danmoto about the issue and if they have any fixes for it or if it was a bad batch of products. I will also comment about this when they respond.

kenmoore 09-12-2013 01:25 PM

That's bad news mate.

I have held off from fitting mine until someone else had a go.

My original intention was to wait until I had my swing arm modified.

I am very interested in what Dan Moto has to say about your problems.

Craigvtr 10-04-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by sailorjerry (Post 362294)
Well, after a month and a half, I have fitted them to the bike. And I must say, so far I am very unhappy.

Once mounted up I found that the shift arm hits the swing arm as soon as it is tightened down making it impossible to shift, and when any weight is put on the suspension the brake lever hits the swing arm.

So tomorrow when I get to work I will be getting longer mounting bolts for the rear set to adapter plate, and 3mm spacers for them, and go from there to see what I can come up with, more updates after I get them installed correctly.

Also just because of how much I paid for them, and the fact that these issues seem to me like lack of proper testing of the product being sold, I emailed danmoto about the issue and if they have any fixes for it or if it was a bad batch of products. I will also comment about this when they respond.

How is the fitting going and did Danmoto get back to you about the problems?

sailorjerry 10-05-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Craigvtr (Post 363373)
How is the fitting going and did Danmoto get back to you about the problems?

Sorry about the delayed responses, I have been busy and trying to get used to the rear sets before I made any posts.

So far yes, Danmoto sent me the proper 6mm spacers and longer bolts that were forgotten in my original mounting kit, so they are mounted properly.

The brake master bracket wouldnt tighten down ( it twisted every time brake was depressed) and actually pulled the threads out, so instead of waiting on a new one, I went to ACE hardwear and got an M6 x 1 bolt that was slightly larger than the M5 x .8 supplied with the kit, drilled and tapped the hole to the M6 x 1.0 and got the bracket tightened down.

Then from there it was just a game of where I wanted them, and I must say its alot to get used to but once you find a position you like they are awesome.

The feel is solid, mounting was easy, I no longer drag my pegs across the ground before my knee, over all after you get past the little issues they had they are worth the money.

One thing I will say is remove all bolts and make sure there is no machining materal or loctite in the bottom of the holes, that was my issue with the brake bracket and why it wouldnt tighten, they had loctite packed into the bottom of the hole causing the bolt to stop when it hit it and not completely tighten. Also use blue loctite when intalling all of your bolts to keep them from backing out.

The one thing I am going to attempt to change is I want the brake pedal return spring to be reinstalled because of the angle it will sometimes stay slightly depressed causing the brake to drag. but that also be because I am in need of a master cylinder rebuild.

Hope this helps!

Craigvtr 10-06-2013 05:39 PM

Thanks very much for the info, glad to hear you have it sorted and are happy with them.
Are you able to post any pictures of pegs showing where the spacers are located and the dimensions of the longer bolts. I would like to compare to what hardware I have received before I pull the bike apart.

Thanks again