Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

SkokieVTR Review of: Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road

Observations/Comments:

1. There is a "Brass Pivot Bushing" in the lever “fold-up” hinge, where presumably the referenced cadmium plated return spring (rather than a stainless steel spring) is intended to return the lever to the “down” position but does so only when nudged by the pilot or road vibration/impacts. The product description is misleading in this regard; i.e., that the levers spring back without “input”. Lever return seems almost cam-action like. I repeat, the levers do fold up but do not spring back by themselves.

2. The lever length cannot be “fixed”; i.e., with a set screw but instead are adjusted simply by pulling or pushing the “outside” end of the lever. The position of the outside end of the lever is held with a fairly strong spring-loaded detent ball over 8 positions at 3 mm on-center. Lever finger grip length ranges over 25.4 mm from 95 mm to 74 mm +/- and overall lever length is 160~190 mm +/-.

3. The grip span (reach) adjuster is available in “Red” and “Black” and possibly other colors.

4. Different model clutch and brake levers can be ordered; i.e., I ordered and received a brake lever for a Honda VTR1000 SP1/SP2 (RC51) and a clutch lever for the VTR1000F Superhawk.

These are the levers I received, which are supposed to be the newer model at $80 including shipping: Levers Set SHORTY - STANDARD LENGTH Adjustable Foldable HONDA CB/CBR/RC/RVT/VF/VFR/VTR/ CBF/ST/VTX/NC/X11, 6 Color Options - Mad Hornets

Mad Hornet’s Product Description - Racing Length Adjustable-Extendable Fold-able Brake Clutch Levers Features:
Newly Designed - Precision fit
Beads Sliding Adjustment - Quick length adjustment, from Shorty to Standard or anywhere in between
Avoid Lever Breakage - Levers folds upwards to avoid sudden impact breakage
Automatic Folds Reset - Levers spring back to natural position to prevent unintended folds

Machined CNC Billet 6061 T6 Aluminum
6 Position Lever Adjustment
Stainless steel fasteners
Precision Machined Pivot Bore to Ensure a Perfect Fit
7075 Type 3 Black Anodized Cam Block for Improved Longevity
Custom Cadmium Plated Springs & Brass Pivot Bushing
Quantity: 2 Pieces (Brake & Clutch) Levers for 2 different models can be ordered
Color: 6 Color Options. Black, Gold, Silver, Orange, Read, Gunmetal (Gray)

These older model levers which may also available for $70 including shipping but are not spring loaded; although the lever length can be “locked” by the clamp/set screw:
Adjustable Extendable Brake & Clutch Levers for Honda VF/VFR 750 S, VFR 800, VTR 1000 F, CBF 1000, X4 (1982-2011) 5 Color Options - Mad Hornets

Adjustable Folding Sliding Extendable Racing Brake & Clutch Levers
Features:
Machined CNC Billt 6061 T6 Aluminum
6 Position Lever Adjustment stainless steel fasteners
Precision Machined Pivot Bore To Ensure A Perfect Fit
7075 Type 3 Black Anodized Cam Block For Improved Longevity
Custom Cadmium Plated Springs & Brass Pivot Bushing
Stainless Steel Hardware
No Modification is needed
Extendable length :16cm - 19cm
Quantity: 2 PCS (Brake & Clutch)
Color: Black, Blue, Red, Silver and Gold

If you are interested in a pair or more contact: info@madhornets.com

Contact Name: Mark (Usually very good response time)

Shipping is FREE via PRCPS / USPS and takes at least 2 weeks

SkokieVTR Verdict: The overall quality (as new) appears above average and the materials and features are executed quite nicely. My only (albeit minor) “knock” is I wish the adjustable lever length could be “locked”; although in a tip-over the fact the outside end of the levers will slide inward on their own may be a good thing. Also, aesthetically, I don’t like the silver colored lightening recesses but that can easily be rectified with a black “Sharpie” or “Markal Valve-Action Paint Marker” pen.

I cannot comment on fit, function and feel until we get somewhere a bit higher than the 0 degrees F we're at now but I will update this post in this regard asap this spring.
Attached Thumbnails SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-mad-hornet-lever-1.jpg   SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-mad-hornet-lever-2.jpg   SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-mad-hornet-lever-3.jpg   SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-mad-hornet-lever-4.jpg   SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-mad-hornet-lever-5.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 09-05-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
SuperBike

1 More photo

More available...
Attached Thumbnails SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-mad-hornet-lever-6.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Nice write up, update when you can on fit and use.

Im not sold on the "folding" part but the dual adjustment for ergonomics is inviting.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Nice write up, update when you can on fit and use.

Im not sold on the "folding" part but the dual adjustment for ergonomics is inviting.
MotoGP levers fold but do not have adjustable grip length because various lengths are available or custom made at that level. Their (Brembo) lever ends also have a hole in them so they are not "activated" by wind pressure at 180+ mph (see pics)

The Mad Hornet levers have "wind holes" too but I do not think we have to worry about wind pressure on our VTRs LOL
Attached Thumbnails SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-2012-yamaha-m1-clutch-lever.jpg   SkokieVTR Review of:  Mad Hornet Folding Adjustable Brake & Clutch Levers-2012-honda-rcv213v-casey-stoner-brake-lever.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 PM
SuperBike

Well, after only 3 rides at least, I'm please with the functionality and secondarily the appearance of the MH levers. My only "complaint" thus far is the fold-up feature does not automatically spring back but one must nudge the lever to have it return to he "down" position. The fit and finish is more than acceptable but time will tell how the hold up.