Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

single exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
single exhaust question

ive been toying with the idea of running a single exhaust just to avoid having to spend double the money for two cans. also wanted to run it as a high mount. my question is this, going from double to single, do i need to increase the size of the cans inner diameter, 3 inch rather than the 2 or 2.5 it is or whatever stock is as its gonna be bottlenecked into one can rather than two, and have people seen any gains or losses from running one big single can? also does anyone have any pics of a vtr with a single high mount?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
have a look in my gallery, there should be a pic of the 2-1 set-up I ran before getting my Akra system. In terms of tuning, I ran the stock header and ran a same diameter link pipe from the collector to the can. The bike ran fine except for a slight dip in the mid-range. I am told that you can overcome this to a large extent by modding (opening up) the collector and running a larger link pipe and can. Have a look at the OZfirestorm site as there are a few posts showing how to mod the collector (the weak spot int he stock header).

good luck
Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
right on thanks alot
Old 09-07-2009, 11:33 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
To add to what has been said, you also need to think about the cost of the custom pipes being made. It may be more than buying an off the shelf twin system.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:46 AM
jonesey
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
Hi there, I have spent about 3 months and a fair amount of £££ researching this very thing. I have tried the 2 into 1 with 3 different custom made link pipes, and 5 different end cans, settling at last on a 2.5 custom made link pipe coming up the right hand side of the bike.
The results are not what i hoped for, with extensive dyno testing, the best power i got was 89.4 hp at the wheel, and slightly reduced torque.
What my tester says is that the pulses go so far on their way out, and because of the restrictive nature of the altered headers, some escape and then some that can't head back up towards the cylinder and back to the combustion chamber while the exhaust valve is open- and because the chamber is then full of oxygen, which does'nt burn this is what gives flat spots and rich running!!
What he has told me to do is to return to OE set up, with aftermarket cans, and then start dyno work again.
Hope this is'nt too much jibber jabber, and is of some assistance.
Cheers all Chris.