Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Shorties

You see, I wanted some good lookin' and feelin' shorty levers but didn't want to pay the big price for such. I looked around in the 'mans's room' and saw all those tools and screws and stuff and removed the stock levers for some serious crafting. They look and feel great and were free!
I prolly won't be wantin to market these gems right away but if you're patient---------We'll see
Wow, what a wonderful life--Getting something for nothing and self satisfaction to boot. Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road

A for effort but in the looks department you get an F. Just my .02(which aint worth ****).
Old 04-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it have been easier just to cut them half an inch longer than desired, and curl the ends a bit? Probably a neater look... But, yeah stuff that's free is fun...
Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
brutal... Good try, but no... No Man! lol
Old 04-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Superstock

Easier?

Originally Posted by Tweety
Wouldn't it have been easier just to cut them half an inch longer than desired, and curl the ends a bit? Probably a neater look... But, yeah stuff that's free is fun...
Tweety
Easier is not an option cuz the "handcrafted theme" dominates all aspects of my lifestyle. Look at the "terminator" in 8541Hawk's avatar----bet it wasn't made in China like a lot of other stuff for $37.00. Someone once said " a man's got to know his limitations" and here are some higher res pics of mine. Enjoying the comaraderie here as it's a great place to exchange ideas!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Hmmm.........
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Squid

Carolinaboy is on a distinguished road

+1
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
That is shorter. Gotta give you that. Looks rough. Maybe if you cut them at a 45 degree angle so the ends taper in, then smooth and radius the ends. A little bit more work applied to your original idea, wod make a lit of improvement in my opinion. For that matter, if you notch both pieces, you could remove most of the transition bump altogether.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Countersink the screw heads (use a larger drill bit the depth of the head) and don't use wood screws.

Overall, going to have to say Lever Fail.

Last edited by RWhisen; 04-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Countersink the screw heads (use a larger drill bit the depth of the head) and don't use wood screws.

Overall, going to have to say Lever Fail.
I think esthetics was not part of this idea but if these levers work and zxbud like it, I'm all for it! C'est la vie
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Superstock

Tie Wraps

I first used tie wraps instead of screws to have a little preliminary fun with this idea but they tended to slip off------not good. And Tweety, I wanted to retain the ***** on the ends cuz I just like them and they provide a notch for my third finger.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
SuperSport

ZXBud, I'm all for trying new things, but that looks brutal. If you were to cut down a couple inches, and take it to a good welder (or do it yourself...), it'd look better. That looks like you rigged it up as a temporary fix, just to get the bike home after a crash or something...

You have a great looking Hawk, don't cheese it up???
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
+2. And nevermind what it looks like am I the only one that looks downright unsafe to?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by zxbud
I first used tie wraps instead of screws to have a little preliminary fun with this idea but they tended to slip off------not good. And Tweety, I wanted to retain the ***** on the ends cuz I just like them and they provide a notch for my third finger.
LOL, this is becoming more fun thread then I expected
Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Bud, did you ever think about a half lap joint (wood working term)? Like this:

Then countersink the screw heads or have someone weld them up. I personally don't see a safety issue yet. My friend that used to own the RC51 had cut levers. Basically the shorty Bud made without the tacked on piece. I rode it a lot without issue. I didn't like it, but it still worked fine.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Bud, did you ever think about a half lap joint (wood working term)? Then countersink the screw heads or have someone weld them up.
Same thing I was thinking. I think he could still do that to his existing parts and make it much nicer to use. (and look at, lol)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I thought they were bad but refrained from commenting until I saw the higher resolution pics. They're not just bad, they're really, really bad.

Maybe you can find some 30 cent fake carbon fiber covers for them.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Squid

Carolinaboy is on a distinguished road
I still think Tweety had the best Idea. If he had cut them a bit longer and bent the end up a tad, it would accomplish the same end of the existing ball as a stop for the finger to rest on. It would look cleaner, and function safely.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
+2. And nevermind what it looks like am I the only one that looks downright unsafe to?
I'm in the same boat as you Captain...

I wouldn't trust 'em...

I think "the best idea" is to get new levers.

I'm all for D-I-Y, but thats pushing it into unsafe.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Superstock

Safety First

Originally Posted by matt365
I'm in the same boat as you Captain...

I wouldn't trust 'em...

I think "the best idea" is to get new levers.

I'm all for D-I-Y, but thats pushing it into unsafe.
I know for sure the front brake will lock now and as for the clutch, most shifting is clutchless even 1 to 2 with some finess. Even downshifting, again with finess, is without drama and I've done it with all my bikes for as long as I can remember. If the gears are unloaded they'll move up or down.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
.........i'm all for frugal modifications ZX, esp those with a creative bent, but this is totally unacceptable. What are you smokin dude?

Go back to the "man's room" right now and make something that doesn't sacrifice adjustment, is smooth across the pull surface, and hopefully with a little more aesthetic appeal. Yu ought to be ashamed of yourself/
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

I know for sure the front brake will lock now and as for the clutch, most shifting is clutchless even 1 to 2 with some finess. Even downshifting, again with finess, is without drama and I've done it with all my bikes for as long as I can remember. If the gears are unloaded they'll move up or down.
You know there is a reason why you have the clutch for I hope you don't shift gears all the time without clutch, sure you can do this, but you do tend to round up the edge of the gears this way and eventually they will start to slip out of gear under stress, especially second gear!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Superstock

Gears

Originally Posted by NHSH
You know there is a reason why you have the clutch for I hope you don't shift gears all the time without clutch, sure you can do this, but you do tend to round up the edge of the gears this way and eventually they will start to slip out of gear under stress, especially second gear!
I had a friend who was a certified Honda tech for years in Kalamazoo, Mi and after 75,000 mi on his Goldwing he opened up the engine to find no measurable wear in the trans despite clutchless shifting the life of the bike. So if the gears don't clunk anymore without the clutch than with it then there's no problem. And 2d to 6th is never clunky. Just coordinate the right hand and left foot and it's all ok.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 AM
SuperBike

I had a friend who was a certified Honda tech for years in Kalamazoo, Mi and after 75,000 mi on his Goldwing he opened up the engine to find no measurable wear in the trans despite clutchless shifting the life of the bike. So if the gears don't clunk anymore without the clutch than with it then there's no problem. And 2d to 6th is never clunky. Just coordinate the right hand and left foot and it's all ok.
As I said, sure you can do that, I do that from time to time, but I would not recommend this from first to second gear in any case, plus if your friend is Honda certified, I'm sure he knows it is not recommended by Honda or any bike for that matter despite his findings on the Goldwing, what makes me wonder is why he had to open the Goldwing motor and transmission at 75k? That is way early for this bike, not to criticize your friend, but you don't think that sounds a little weird? Just curiosity...
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by NHSH
As I said, sure you can do that, I do that from time to time, but I would not recommend this from first to second gear in any case, plus if your friend is Honda certified, I'm sure he knows it is not recommended by Honda or any bike for that matter despite his findings on the Goldwing, what makes me wonder is why he had to open the Goldwing motor and transmission at 75k? That is way early for this bike, not to criticize your friend, but you don't think that sounds a little weird? Just curiosity...
Yes, just curiosity that's why he looked into it, no other reason. He convinced me if there's no clunk there's no wear. As for clunk, this one will clunk like a harley from 1st to 2d with the clutch used and I don't like that one bit. And doesn't Honda recommend shifting to 2d at about 10mph? Nobody does that either if they want any kind of smooth acceleration.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
You have got to be kidding. Seriously, at what point are you going to tell us this was a joke to see if you could get anyone to agree that is was good? Sort of the emperor has no clothes deal, right?

If this isn't a joke... Nope not going there. Great goof, I bet you have one hell of a poker face
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Right on, man! Just remember to wear proper safety gear when riding:

Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
You have got to be kidding. Seriously, at what point are you going to tell us this was a joke to see if you could get anyone to agree that is was good? Sort of the emperor has no clothes deal, right?

If this isn't a joke... Nope not going there. Great goof, I bet you have one hell of a poker face
Um, Ain't following you here. Do you mean--good levers or good clutchless shifting?

Last edited by zxbud; 04-11-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Right on, man! Just remember to wear proper safety gear when riding:

Do you have a pic of the hooptie these guys are fixing up. I wanna see the spinners, too!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM
SuperBike

LOL, I had a good laugh reading the last few posts, I knew this thread is going to be fun
ZXBUD, you must be a comedian I can appreciate that
You made my day!

Quick Reply: Shorties