Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Sargent seat - solo cowl

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Squid

pickle.of.doom
Mine seems to fit snugly on my Sargent, at worst it may be a little lopsided on there. I know its a pain to get the tabs to snap in place, but thats the only thing I have noticed about it.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Make sure that it is on correctly. The two side tabs have holes for locator pins and the large tab in the rear goes under the seat.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sargent seat - solo cowl

Oh great

My Sargent should be here any day. I love my rear seat cowl. I'll be PO'd if it doesn't fit like their website says it should.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

I put mine on day before yesterday and it was a bit of a battle. It fits more than snugly and I had to pound on the rear of the seat to get the lock to snap into place. Initially it would click in and lock but wouldn't sit down flush unless I gave it a good rap. Hopefully it will losen up with time as the foam gets compressed against the tank.

Putting the solo rear cowl over the seat was a battle. Getting the cowl's tabs around the "L" hooks was a bitch. Sargent recommends trimming them so you dont have to stretch them out so far.

Bottom line is that both are in place and looking awesome. Its firmer than the stock seat. I'd get a sore *** from the stock one after a couple of hours on it. For $400 cdn I'll be pissed if it still is after this.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:54 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
thanks for the update.

after riding an F4i for over a year, my *** finds superhawks OEM seat both soft and pleasing!
Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

I did the tab trim thing and was tempted to put some axle grease on the thing to help . All in all the fit is good and feel is even better .

The Sargent makes life A-OK .
Old 01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

"SuperChicken III" came from its previous owner/abuser with both a Sargent seat and a seat cowling, and the previous owner/abuser both cracked the seat cowling (top-front-center) and broke off its right and left tabs (apparently to make things easier for removing and re-installing the cowling).

I plan to replace the cracked cowling when I put the finishing touches on SuperChicken III , so I would like to know if the left and right tabs of the OEM cowling must be trimmed slightly to prevent them from interfering with the seat-locking mechanism on the Sargent. Do you think that the previous owner/abuser trimmed the tabs originally and the tabs broke, through time, because he trimmed them a little too closely to the center holes? Or, was he off-base altogether in even attempting to trim the tabs (will they work without being trimmed)?

Thanks for your help,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 01-17-2005, 10:25 AM
SuperSport

I suggest the centre of the cowl cracked trying to get the tabs around the "L" brackets; then he trimmed the tabs Its a big stretch for the cowl to get around them. Even with the tabs trimmed, imo, its pretty hard on the cowl taking it on and off, much harder compared to the stock seat. No doubt the cowl tabs broke through use.

Definitely trim the tabs or you risk breaking the cowl.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

I'll bet that you're right about the crack at top-front-center originating during removal of the cowling and about him having later broken-off the tabs.

After I replace the cowling with a new one, I will be sure to both trim the tabs slightly and enlarge the eyelet holes to prevent over-stressing of the new cowling. Also, the rear pad on my Sargent seat is bright red and would look goofy--clownish--in contrast to the bike's Kandy Blue, so I will be removing the cowling only if I need to accomodate a passenger (a rare occasion).

Thanks for the insightful observation.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR