Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Replacement Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa
Replacement Pistons

Hey guys,

I notice a few of you have thrown in aftermarket pistons, and it seems the JE are the way to go over the Mori.

Im just chasing some info on what was required, ie just a deglaze etc or do they drop straight in?

Rough cost ? and performance gain please

Thx,
VTR_Beefa
Old 06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Re: Replacement Pistons

Mine came with the JE pistons already installed...it's a race-built motor. My experience would be that if your motor has less than about 20k miles, a simple ball hone and careful ring gap adjustment would allow standard sized pistons to drop in. Over 20k miles and you're better off doing what rc996 did (do a search for his full teardown and rebuild post, with excellent pics).

You can bolt it all back together with stock cams and heads, but since you've already got it apart you're better off spending the money on the whole package at once. Max out a credit card if you have to, because you won't want to tear down the top end more than once. The Moriwaki Stage 2 cams are excellent. Some careful, conservative Dremel work on the heads, and some oversized valves with the chambers opened up just a little around the valve seats will improve things tremendously. Get all your ports matched up and polished in the right places. Basically just fix what Honda had to compromise on by building on an assembly line, rather than hand-assembling everything.

The pistons alone offer a pretty good improvement. The Stage 2 package makes an ***-kicker. You'll need to run Premium fuel, and you may even need to retard the ignition a little to keep from knocking. Mine runs on 93 octane ok with the ignition set at stock. With VP race fuel I switch it to the +4 slot and the difference is significant.

Of course you'll need to rejet the carbs and you'll definitely need a good free-flowing exhaust. It's all about the combination. Move down a heat range on your spark plugs, and get them properly indexed.

rc996 is definitely your best resource on this one (on this forum). Good luck.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Squid

v2weapon

Sorry, my mistake. That teardown/rebuild with pics was posted by Gerrit. See it here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewt...4f885daee4bd04

Nicely chronicled. Dunno why I thought it was you, Rand...probably because you have the JE pistons listed in your signature, and you're womping on RC51s at the racetrack. 8)

I haven't seen a post from Gerrit in a while. I'd say he's a good resource for this question.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
RC996, "Throwing in a set of pistons" is merely an expression.. dont take it to mean any lesser of the task involved.

I read that thread with pics on the rebuild and it was great stuff.... my bike has just had its 6000K service and i rely on it to get to work and back, so if I did go down this avenue, more than likely I would take it to someone i trust to do the work for me, as time constraints wouldnt allow me the pleasure.

If you don't, you'll probably just wish you had and my bike will still be faster!
Lol... I have been smoking guys on bikes way faster than mine for a looong time... you guys know well enough the bike is only part of the equation

Thanks again for the info, will give some serious thought to a cams/piston/headwork .. headwork I am happy doing myself though.

Cheers
Old 06-23-2005, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
So who is selling them?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Damn! Just when I thought I was starting to catch up...

I demoed an '05 RC51 yesterday. Why did I buy a Superhawk, again? My check-writing hand is blindly scrambling for a pen...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Squid

VTRBeefa

I would enjoy th opportunity to try and keep up!
Lol.. next time your down in Australia then... to be honest, I dont think my VTR has the goods yet for serious times at the track. I have spent the last 10 years on a ZXR750 that (standard except for pipe and braided lines) was happy to embarass R1's Gixxers Dukes etc.. not all mind you, just the ones who didnt have the confidence in their bike to really ride it smooth and fast

The VTR will smoke most of these guys on back roads where low down torque and compliant suspension rules (although the VTR front end is woeful and was the first thing to get turfed on mine)

Would like another 20hp to really turn the bike into what Honda should have made it in the first place... but all that means is we all have the chance to do it ourselves.

Here in Aus i bought my firestorm brand spanking new 2 or 3 months ago and it cost $12,999(AUD) ride away... which is about $9700US.. the 05 (true)-sports bikes are close to double that.

So why did V2Weapon buy the firestorm....if its the same reason i did its cause the cost of the storm and goodies to make it perform as well as the RC, will still cost less than the RC : ) and you have a whole heap of fun on the way.

*Note this is a lame attempt to justify to myself not being able to afford the RC51 and buying the Firestorm instead.

Cyas
Old 06-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rc996";p=&quot
My next build will involve boring the block an installing 0.5mm oversize pistons, replacing cam chains and rebuilding the transmission. Probably winter of '06.
I've installed the 0.5 mm oversize pistons becouse I had to much piston to bore clearance. I had them custom bould by JE so I had to order 4.
I also dont think the "oversize" will make great HP difference. Just the High comp will do.
I'm not sure if I still want to sell tho two spare pistons, maybe I'll buy a spare engine and work it up completely. (Bigger valves, porting, cams, ... whatever)
But first thinking about rear shock and maybee RC51 forks

So it makes two : "Building the bike that I think Honda should have build it"

Regards Gerrit.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

The JE pistons can be had for $220.00 from S&K racing . Stock Honda rings are used .

To my knowledge the Stage II Moriwaki cams are no longer available .

Very little head flow can be gained by porting the stock heads . The entry to the valve seats in the port are lower than the seats so nothing there to blend in . Add oversize intake valves then some port work will gain some.

For the guy on a budget , cams will produce the most gain and there's a couple ways to go about it seeing the intake cam parameters is way small . The exhaust cam is plenty large but i do agree , a planned package of components is the way to go .... with any engine .

These couple ways of camming the engine on the cheap that I speak of are time consuming . Maybe next weekend when time permits I'll post more about what I have done and or found out since the first Super Hawk engine I built . It hit hard but not like engine 2 through 5 .

Time time time , never enough these days
Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Squid

v2weapon
I know the 'busa guys install exhaust cams on the intake side for a cheap upgrade, and it actually seems to work pretty well. Is that feasible on the VTR?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

You could do same on the SH . The SV 650 guys have been doing it for along time but it will only help some and intake and exhaust will need need re-dregreeing for max results .

The stock ex cam is lazy in terms of lobe intensity but will fill the cylinder better than the stock intake does if you open the valve early .

If you were to search my past posts you'll find both stock cam specs and Moriwakis specs . The Moriwakis look smaller, and are numericaly but they have a more intense profile thus make more power by filling the cylinders more efficiently .
Old 07-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rollingalong,

Do you know anything about the Yoshimura cams?

http://store.yoshimura-rd.com/VTR1000