Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Rebuliding Forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Squid

redlinetech is on a distinguished road
Rebuliding Forks

I am planning pulling the forks off the bike next week due to a leaking left fork seal.

First, what do you guys use to support the bike? I was thinking about an ATV style jack.

Secondly, I already know I am going to be installing Race Tech fork springs, but wanted to know if I should drop another $160 + install to get the Gold Valves? I am beginner rider that will only be taking this bike on the street.

Lastly, any thoughts or advice that could help is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I prefer to hang mine by ratchet tie downs from the garage rafters but others have used atv style jack with fine results. BTW, I've always used a rear stand doing this so I can't comment on how either works by their selves.

Good suspension benefits all riders; however, someone with many miles of pushing the 'hawk will more easily recognize the benefits of better valving than the less experienced.

Hassle wise it's better to do everything at once instead of repeating the process.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
IMO, there's nothing better than a good front stand. I prefer PitBull stands for the front.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Squid

Can I still take off the forks on a front stand?

I am looking at getting a front and rear stand setup.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redlinetech
Oh yes but not if you're taking off the entire front end (triple assembly).
Old 12-07-2006, 01:38 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I too installed RaceTech springs in my VTR. As I also limit my riding to the street in "sport-touring" mode, I elected not to run their valve kits, opting instead to drill my cartridges (as per the specs received from Roger Ditchfield of Revolution Racing in the UK, a veritable VTR guru) to relieve the front-end hydraulic lock-up that results from the stock excessive high speed compression damping. I am very happy with the end result. A fork brace is also a very welcome and worthwhile addition to your front end.

P.S. This is my 500th post....woohoo!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I use tie downs attached to the clip-ons to hang my front end from overhead floor joists.

If you are only going to be riding on the street, I'd just do springs and fresh oil (I used 7.5 weight)
Then proper setup of laden and unladen sag, front and rear, should do OK for you on the street.

That's my $.02.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Jump in the fire and swap front ends! Just kidding. I use a rear stand and a jack under the engine. I would think that sounds crazy but unlike the thin metal oil pan on a 350 chevy I grew up around our pans are thick and the service manual actually tells you to do this. I've also seen some guys on here use just a jack and the sidestand. Ratchet tiedowns on the clip ons are also very smart-anything extra to be safe-gas tanks (and fairings) are expensive and they're about worthless once they're dented if you tip it over...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use an atv style jack when I need to do fork work because my front stand picks up under the forks, (I plan on buying the triple attachment soon). I bought 2 pieces of flat steel and slide them across the jack and jack the bike up with them under the cooling fins on the pan. Once you tie it down it's very secure, just make sure you put the bike a little foward since once you take off the wheel and forks it's front light.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Squid

Man I love this forum. Everyone is so knowledgable and eager to help.

Thanks for all the advice. Race Tech springs on the way. My plan is to make all my mods this winter and get the bike prime for the summer months.

Got to love the hawk!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
+1 to Brian A's post.

For moderately aggressive street riding, just the springs and an oil change will do. A very noticable improvement over the variable .56(?)kg stockers.

I weigh in at around 190lbs, and use my VTR for commuting, backroad scratching and weekend touring. I went with the .8kg RaceTech springs and 10wt oil.

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR
Old 12-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Back Marker

iscoot is on a distinguished road
doit!!! i did, big difference it will mke you 15% faster!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by redlinetech
Not one that supports the bike at the end of the forks.

I think Greg was talking about the type that supports the bike through the steering head.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

I recommend you look at drilling the cartride body too (cost = $0.00, or one drill bit). THis will help to alleviate the potentially dangerous front end lock-up that results under hard braking (from the excessive high-speed comp damping). Ever hit some ripples in the pavement when you were hard on the brakes? If you ever do, you will wish you had drilled the cartridge bodies trust me! Just e-mail Roger and he will send you all the specs (for oil weight, quantity, sag,...)
Old 12-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Squid

Mikstr, can you get my Roger's email address? I checked the member list and no luck for a Roger.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
MotoGP

Here is the link to his site: http://revolutionuk.co.uk

The man is extremely knowledgeable and supremely helpful. Just use the links on the site to e-mail him and he'll get to you shortly. You can ask him about virtually anything VTR-related and he will be able to answer you (trust me, I have, lol)

Let me know how you make out

cheers
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you could, forward me and/or post what you find out and I'll put it in the knowledge base.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

Hi Greg,

for the record, I didn't post the info (although I still have it) as Roger expressed a concern during one of his e-mails about a chap posting the info he had given him on the Net (having to do with VTR suspension mods). Out of respect for his wishes, I chose not publicize the specs so it may be wise to check with him prior to doing so. Besides, he responds to his e-mails in a timely fashion and is extremely helpful.

cheers
Old 12-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Ah, gotcha. I understand. Most suspension guys keep their stuff a secret. I even tend to do that a little bit myself, as I do suspension work too, but the secrecy is mostly limited to shim stacks and valving. I don't know the extent of this mod, but I sure would like to find out. hint, hint And out of respect to Roger and you, I will not post it.