Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

rc51 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
rc51 engine swap

so its more than likely not possible, but just incase some one has done it I thought I would post up

this thread is old but some info
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=rc51+swap

so yeah its a bad idea with tons of work but it would be a nice little mod if I could get it to work

not scared of fab, as I can weld aluminum and have a few different cnc machines to make brackets as necessary

also not afraid of wiring as I've built a few wiring harness for efi drag cars

so anyone???
Old 09-24-2006, 09:28 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think a conversion to FI would be better then any motor swap... i really think it's possible if I decided to ever sit down and figure out the electronics
Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
No that I have experience with either option, but I think it would likely be easier to place a "51" engine into a VTR frame than to convert the Hawk engine to FI (even though the EFI system for this engine does exist in the European Varadero, it is a more lowly tuned version). Of course, likely the easiest of all would be to take an RC and "soften" it a bit to make it a more livable everyday bike (Helibars, or handlebar kit, Sargent or custom seat, re-calibrated suspension, higher windshield,...). Come to think of it, THAT would be a great bike! An added benefit of doing so would be the luxury of saying goddbye to all of the CCT problems!!!

cheers
Mikstr
Old 09-25-2006, 08:03 AM
SuperBike

changing to FI really shouldn't be that difficult. choosing a ecu solution would be the largest of all obstacles as well as then tuning it. but using the rc51 throttle bodies and injectors - it shouldn't be hard
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
SuperBike

bigger thing is... is it really worth it? I think with a relatively stock motor (no pistons or cams) the carbs are fine once you get them dialed in. FI would probably be handy if you did high comps and cams. You'd then be able to tune it a lil nicer probably
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
changing to FI really shouldn't be that difficult. choosing a ecu solution would be the largest of all obstacles as well as then tuning it. but using the rc51 throttle bodies and injectors - it shouldn't be hard
I think the biggest hurdle would be packaging. Many FI systems, including the RC51 have ram air, this one in particular running through the frame, IIRC. Also, different airboxes, since it's highly unlikely it will fit the VTR-F, means lots of fabrication with no guarantee that intake volume and resonance will be okay.

I think mikstr hit the nail on the head when he suggested just "softening" an actual RC.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
SuperBike

the air box isn't an issue. getting the rc51 throttle bodies/injectors to fit in the place of the current carbs is imo the biggest hurdle. they are almost the same size and since they'd be located in the same spot as the carbs the box should fit. the resonance is important only to the motor, not the tb's/injectors. if I were to do a rc51 motor in there a ram air system would be a must have on the bike since the motor was tuned and designed to run on that
Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I think mikstr hit the nail on the head when he suggested just "softening" an actual RC.
Ahemm. That nail has all ready been pounded my good sir. Please see what I said in the original link. :-)

In fact that was going to be my next bike project until a too good to pass up deal on the vfr landed in my lap.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:54 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, well, as soon as I saw the RC come out, way back in 2000 I had that thought....

Ah, what the heck, great minds think alike, lol

cheers
Mikstr
Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Ah!! Original link! Yeah, didn't even read that. Oh well. This topic really has been beat to death. I should use my Super Moderator powers and lock this and all past and future engine swapping threads Hehehe. Always excuses, never results.....
Old 09-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
no excuses from my end, if someone told me that it would mount up to the swing arm and maybe one engine mount, i could fab everything else and git-r-done

no one would have to tell me anything if i had an rc51 to look at but there is not a single one in my area, not one within 50 miles