Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Quickshifter for VTR(or other carb bike)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
Quickshifter for VTR(or other carb bike)

Hi, i am planning to start a project of a quickshifter that works on carbed bike, and my VTR at this time.
I saw this idea long ago in a cbr forum, but the thread is no longer aviable. I think he started to sell them. May be i will do the same.

Th basic idea is to use a custom made time delay relay that is triggered by a button connected to the shift lever. The relay on the other side is connected to the side stand safety switch. As soon as you put the lever up the relay cut of the wire to the side stand and the ECO thinks you stand it down. It therefore cut off the ignition and the rpm drop. The crutial moment is that the relay cut of the wire for a certain, adjusted time, not the how time the lever is up. So for that exact miliseconds the rpm drop just enough to shirt safely and smoothly the gear up without back off the throttle.
I have seen that dynojet QS do 50-100ms, so this may be the right range to go for.
The big advantage here, as comparison with DJ or other quick shifters, is that this unit can be used on a carborattor bike, while the others don't.

I will not use shift rod sensor, cause it is too dahm expancive, but a simple bush switch.
My goal is to make it cheap and working.
The whole unit will not be more than 100$.

So will you be interested
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
SHawk Member
Back Marker

JN607 is on a distinguished road
I'd take one if you were able to make it work!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I have a mostly working quickshifter on my bike. I've only had a chance to get on the track once since installation. Worked pretty well, but the tranny slipped out of fifth and sixth a couple times. Maybe ill have to tinker with the timing. So far I am happy.

It consists or two components. An ECU from ignitech, and a rear break light switch.

I have a shift light running off the ECU as well.

But this idea would be about half the price. Good luck with the project. I would think there would be at least some people out there interested.

Last edited by mboe794; 06-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Squid

eezz is on a distinguished road
I guess after market quick shifters for the SH are expensive?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

[QUOTE=mboe794;335581]
It consists or two components. An ECU from ignitech, and a rear break light switch.
QUOTE]

yep, some aftermarket ECUs do the work, but i do not have the money for those so i am making it my way

i have even seen just a brake switch that works as a QS -
no delay time, just when you touch the lever the ignition is killed, when put you led away again the ignition is on
on a cbr250 forum they said it worked, but i wouldn`t try it on a Hawk

I already have some components on a time delay relay, so i need to modify it to work on the Hawk. I have just a basic knowege in electronics, but i think i get the idea.

i bought this

it is for 0 to 160 sec. delay adjusted by the white trimer(1MOM)
the max delay depends on C4 capacitor which now is 100uF
button B1 is for starting(i will relocate it near the shift lever)
button B2 is for emergency stop(it wont be needed)

i think i have to change the capacitor with a smaller one, i will try 1uF, so the max delay would be around a second
the trimer on the cbr forum was 100kOM, but i do not know how it will effect the delay

if i get it working i plan to relocate the trimmer on the handlebar so you can adjust it while riding + a on/off button if you want to activate it only when on track/fun rides, but to ride without it when coursing or intown riding
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Squid

eezz is on a distinguished road
Oh yea, you need a switch because then it would work all the time even at low rpm shifts. I briefly forgot the dynojet and translogic quickshifters have the ability to work above certain rpm levels so you can leave them on for cruising.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by eezz
the dynojet and translogic quickshifters have the ability to work above certain rpm levels so you can leave them on for cruising.
well i got KOSO shift light sitting on the shelf, may be i can make it work with the shifter, so when you go above sertain rpm the shift light will activate the shifter

but for now i have to make the shifter work first
then i can thing for extras
Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Last saturday i did some work on the shifter project.
I modified the delay relay to work for 0 to about 1-2 sec. delay and it was all lokking googd, but there turned out another porblem.
The relay stays on when the button is pushed, so if you push it for more than a second, it will stay on for all that time

So i tried to make it all by myself..the whole relay using the cbr forum scheme. I bought the part and stated welding...it was not looking pretty.
When i finally finished it and try it - it was not working, i was givig some sparks when o tried to connect it to a battery, so all my work was done for nothing.

But still i am thinging of a trigger button that will switch on just once and will not stay on when staying pushed

and just to mention, my vtr battery is now absolutely dead, don`t know if it is fron the shifter
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

i think i found a solution of my problem
i have 2 options
1. to make a normally closed circuit that is cativated by open switch - not 100% sure that this will work as i want it, but it is quite easy to achieve, jut have to swap the place of the one resistance and the trigger button

2. This i 100% sure that the relay will be triggeroed just once, as the scheme says
"Circuit 5 also has a trigger input that can remain closed and still allow the timer to complete its cycle. This means that the trigger input pulse can be longer than the output pulse."

However, this second option is not so easy to make - need to put an additonal capacitor + 100k resistance, which will effect in a delay of the whole circuit. I mean when the button is pushe there will be time off then on then again off, but the delay of the "on" time of the relay will be extremely short, about 0,011 sec due to my calculations, which i think is acceptable
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Well, option 1 - normally closec circuit didn`t work
So i will be trying option 2 with additional capasitor and resistance. Hopefully, some guys from a DIY forum gave me the sizes ot the capasitor and the resistance so i will have some point to strat from

Once, i make it work i will try ti fit it on the bike.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Some good and samo bad news....
Yesterday i made it work
You tach the button the shifter engadges for the selected time, no matte now long you press it. The time can be adjusted from 0 to about 1-2 second but i cannot measure it.

The bad news is that my bike is broke....front cct failure
and i cannot try the shifter.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

And a pic how it looks