Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Power Commander for 1000 SuperHawk

Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Squid

mightytunacan is on a distinguished road
Power Commander for 1000 SuperHawk

Hey y'all
If you've seen my other post, you will know that I'm new the the world of the SuperHawk. I've read that the top speed of these bikes is around 155mph (250kph) Is there any truth to this?
Also, with the bike being carbureted how does a power commander add power? Or perhaps this is a better question... IS THERE A POWER COMMANDER FOR THE SUPERHAWK?
Please be patient with my questions, I'm still learning forum procedures
Old 01-19-2015, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
No PC for VTR, it's carbureted. You can, however, get an Ignitech ignition box if you feel the need to change the ignition curve.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Squid

It's funny that you say that. I just finished reading about how PC is only for FI bikes.
What's the top speed on your bike?...in kph...Since we're both Canadian. lol
Also, what have you heard about the dynojet kit for improving top end? In addition, what would you suggest for increasing top speed, if fuel consumption wasn't a worry?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
#1: read 8541hawk's jetting thread, and stay away from jet kits for the superhawk.

#2: re gear the bike to suit your needs. If you really need to go faster than 155, then change the sprockets.... Or better yet, get a bike more suited to that particular speed...

James
Old 01-20-2015, 05:34 AM
Squid

Evil_Twin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
No PC for VTR, it's carbureted. You can, however, get an Ignitech ignition box if you feel the need to change the ignition curve.
will that work with an ignition advance or does it only work with stock components?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
+1 if 155-160 isn't enough for you I'd buy a different bike, it's NOT what this bike is about.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Just for giggles, what is the back story on wanting to exceed 155? In my experience those numbers are mostly for squids to try to impress other squids. It kinda pie in the sky unless you are near Boneville.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Just for giggles, what is the back story on wanting to exceed 155? In my experience those numbers are mostly for squids to try to impress other squids. It kinda pie in the sky unless you are near Boneville.
Hey Smokinjoe

The reason I was asking about exceeding 155mph, was because I speaking to a fellow rider who was riding a 1998 ZX-600 and it was mentioned that she had taken her bike up to 164mph. I didn't know if she was bull$#!TTING me, or if she actually hit that speed on a 600cc. But that's where the question of a 1000 v-twin's top speed being only 155mph.
As far as being a squid, I don't know what that means, and as for impressing a squid... well... I still don't know what that means.

Considering:
-I've never owned a superhawk before
-I'm heading out to Calgary Saturday to test ride and maybe buy one;\

In your own words...do you mind sharing with me the top 5 things that is the main attraction to having this bike?

Its kinda hard to put inflections and tone to a forum message, so please don't read any sarcasm or smart assery in my note. I'm actually really interested in what it is about this bike, that makes people love them so much.

Everyone else is welcome to chime in, I'd like to hear it all.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
If a bike's speedometer depends on rear wheel RPM the bike could indicate more than 155 mph. But due to wind resistance at those speeds most bikes, depending on tire type, humidity, road surface would experience significant enough tire slip to give you a falsely high speedometer reading. So maybe she did ride her bike to 160+ as far as she knows...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:52 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

What Crankenfine is trying to say is: Lots of factors play into measured speed... The only real way to know is with a calibrated radar gun...

My 1996 ZX-7R's speedometer needle topped out at 173mph, but that didn't mean I was going that fast. I accept the fact that typical speedometer error is 10%, so I was probably only going high 150s... WHAT DID MATTER WAS THAT I OUTRAN THE MUSTANG COBRA.... the actual speed at which I did so was irrelevant

Top 5 reasons in my order:
Exhaust note (assuming aftermarket cans are installed)
Torque of the v-twin (meaning instant wheelies in 1st and 2nd)
Looks
Relative comfort
Exhaust note (see above for why...)

I got over the top speed thing long ago. In fact my last couple bikes have been geared ultra short so I can do fun power wheelies easier... I rarely break the speed limit anymore, I just try and get to the limit as quick as possible

By the way, squid: 17 year old new rider with ultra fast sportbike and zero knowledge of how to ride it. Buys the bike based upon how high the number is on the speedometer.

By the way #2: Her 600 wasn't going that fast.... but there's really no need to argue that.

James
Old 01-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Squid

Sounds fair enough too me. I've heard of the legendary "low grunt" of the v-twin, and am looking forward to hearing it for myself in 3 days. Comfort, yes! at 6'2" that plays a large role in what I buy. I've read the comparison of test riders comparing the TL1000S and the SHawk, and most of the taller riders prefer the comfort of the Honda. I guess I put too much emphasis on the top speed thing, but I was puzzled by how a '98 600 would be reaching those kinds of speeds. You're right about arguing the fact not being worth it, though.
Ah, the "squid" thing. I guess I'll take that as a compliment.... I haven't felt 17 for 16 years. Though there are most mornings that I wish I were back to that age... physically anyway.
Thanks for the input "thedentons" I'll let you know if the SuperHawk I test ride Saturday gives me the same warm and fuzzy feeling.

Chris
Old 01-21-2015, 04:53 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons

Top 5 reasons in my order:
Exhaust note (assuming aftermarket cans are installed)
Torque of the v-twin (meaning instant wheelies in 1st and 2nd)
Looks
Relative comfort
Exhaust note (see above for why...)

That's pretty much why I fell in love with them. Add the easy real world handling that at a 9/10 pace used to leave all my r1 and gsxr riding buddies in my mirrors in the turns. Sure I'd pull a length or 2 in a top gear roll on with my friend's zx9r, then he's disappear into the distance like I was going in the opposite direction, but I could smoke a $hit talker on his new zx6r all the way up to top end. The ZX12's and Hayabusa's have come and gone in my garage, but there will probably always be a superhawk there

Some other reasons for me is I always liked having something different than everyone else, and you don't see these very often. It's also fairly easy to work on and find spares and parts for.

Last edited by captainchaos; 01-21-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I never really felt how fast someone could go in a straight line on a motorcycle really mattered. I've always felt what mattered was how fast you could go around a corner. That's if how fast someone can go matters in the first place, of course.

I've seen the SuperHawk described as "the best street motorcycle ever" more than once. I guess it's more than the sum of the parts kind of thing. It responds well to modification. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Depends on how deep your pockets are. The exhaust note is great. The torque is plentiful and useable. I also love the looks of the bike.

Good luck with the test ride and be careful, you may get addicted.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
First off, chicks are going to lie to you a lot in life so here is a good lesson. She's lying to you.

I rode CBR600s all my life and this bike is way better. It handles light on its feet, has tons of usable torque compared to those kids bikes and sounds awesome.

To me just the exotic rareness of this bike is priceless. No one know what it is or has one.

It is a rip snorting stonking v twin. Tons of character. Most other bikes are cookie cutter run of the mill.

Around here even Ducatis are a dime a dozen (especially monsters under hipsters).

If you have the chance to own one, you should do it. You cant help but love this bike and I own 6 bikes. This is by far my favorite.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Squid

ref: Captainchaos, vtr1000
The two of you have mentioned that this bike has great cornering. What does this bike do in corners that makes it stand out? Or is the cornering something that a new rider will notice right off the hop?

Am i being the blind man who has never had sight asking you to describe the color orange? Is the handling something that I'll have to experience for myself is what I'm asking I guess.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Squid

First off, chicks are going to lie to you a lot in life so here is a good lesson. She's lying to you.

I rode CBR600s all my life and this bike is way better. It handles light on its feet, has tons of usable torque compared to those kids bikes and sounds awesome.

To me just the exotic rareness of this bike is priceless. No one know what it is or has one.

It is a rip snorting stonking v twin. Tons of character. Most other bikes are cookie cutter run of the mill.

Around here even Ducatis are a dime a dozen (especially monsters under hipsters).

If you have the chance to own one, you should do it. You cant help but love this bike and I own 6 bikes. This is by far my favorite.

Those points are pretty much what people have said in the written reviews, and actually listening to what people on this forum are saying is helping me form an opinion. This will be my 5th bike, but first "sport" style to own.
As I said before, i'll be test riding the bike on saturday, and will report my opinion back to the board.

Thanks all for actually listening to my questions and answering them. I don't know where life would take me if it wasn't for smokinjoes insight on the fact that chicks lie. If I purchase the bike it will be due to not riding it like a "squid" and to paying attention to most of the input I have obtained from this board.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mightytunacan
ref: Captainchaos, vtr1000
The two of you have mentioned that this bike has great cornering.
Well, I didn't say that. Stock, I think you will find the front end soft. Mushy even. That can be addressed with springs, and re-valving will offer more returns whether you do this work yourself or pay someone. Jamie Daugherty (on this forum) is a SuperHawk suspension guru. Google "daugherty motorsports".

Even stock, the bike may handle fine for you. Depends on your weight, style and ability. Certainly, it can be made to handle great with some modding or upgrades. The only real shortcomings of the bike are the CCTs and the rectifier/regulator. See the first two stickies in the knowledge base.

And, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 01-21-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Agreed about the bike not really being amazing in turns... Definitely not like my zx-7r, and no way was it like my r6.... Feels more like my old sv650s, but heavier in turns... Basically mushy, and "not right", but it's all about rider ability

Nothing else matters after you hear one with a set of pipes rev up....

What color is the one you're going to look at?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
hope its not yellow
Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Jealous much?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Appreciate that you are looking at a Hawk, and feel the members of the forum have addressed the majority of your questions. Here's my short list of why I own and love the Superhawk.

1. Mechanically sound, and ready to roll when you are ready to ride. Basic maintenance is all it requires.
2. You have the speed to run as fast as you want, with a smooth ride!
3. Easy to repair and get parts.
4. I've ridden many bikes, and this is the only one I look forward to riding.
5. This forum and other Superhawk owners. All the help and support you will ever need.

Good luck on your potential purchase. You won't be disappointed. See if the current owner is already on this site!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Just for giggles, what is the back story on wanting to exceed 155? In my experience those numbers are mostly for squids to try to impress other squids.
Beat me to it Joe!

-I'm heading out to Calgary Saturday to test ride and maybe buy one;\
1st and foremost please respect the right hand (throttle). If you're in Canada and headed out to test ride a hawk when it is very cold with possible salt and cinder on the roads, I see a recipe for disaster. Especially considering you aren't used to a sport[y] bike. Be very careful, the twins power down low will easily spin up that rear tire.

Originally Posted by sjscicluna
hope its not yellow
This gets sooo old!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine

This gets sooo old!
i know...
Old 01-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Squid

Actually, the person sold the bike to someone who beat me to it back on Wednesday.
Back to the drawing board for me.
Kinda sad about not getting to hear those pipes though.
The hunt continues.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:21 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

There are some bikes for sale on here...

James
Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Squid

dirty_! is on a distinguished road
I've owned a 04 GSXR 600 a 1979 xs1100 (café). I love my bike, its crazy fast, great in the corners and I never lose it at bike night.

I would recommend it to anyone
Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Badboy01;381964]
Here's my short list of why I own and love the Superhawk.

1. Mechanically sound, and ready to roll when you are ready to ride. Basic maintenance is all it requires.
2. You have the speed to run as fast as you want, with a smooth ride!
3. Easy to repair and get parts.
4. I've ridden many bikes, and this is the only one I look forward to riding.
5. This forum and other Superhawk owners. All the help and support you will ever need. Must move this to top of list:[QUOTE]

imho

And I mean this for never having put a leg over the bike with you guys
I have only seen 2 of you in person. I feel that we have put many miles on the superhawk together.

I like the club we all sort of think alike.

The last time I had a real good ride I had a police officer tell me I should know better being the oldest one in the group. LOL first time I ever herd that. I was 2nd in the line and we stopped to wait up for everyone and like 5min later an office stops with lights flashing. Last two guys had not made a proper stop don't know why he picked me out. Must have been the bike that is what I was thinking.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Power User
Squid

Ndogg550 is on a distinguished road
Sounds fair enough too me. I've heard of the legendary "low grunt" of the v-twin, and am looking forward to hearing it for myself in 3 days. Comfort, yes! at 6'2" that plays a large role in what I buy. I've read the comparison of test riders comparing the TL1000S and the SHawk, and most of the taller riders prefer the comfort of the Honda. I guess I put too much emphasis on the top speed thing, but I was puzzled by how a '98 600 would be reaching those kinds of speeds. You're right about arguing the fact not being worth it, though.
Ah, the "squid" thing. I guess I'll take that as a compliment.... I haven't felt 17 for 16 years. Though there are most mornings that I wish I were back to that age... physically anyway.
Thanks for the input "thedentons" I'll let you know if the SuperHawk I test ride Saturday gives me the same warm and fuzzy feeling.

Chris
I'm 6'2" 225 and after getting used to it, actually find the superhawk very comfortable. Done 450mi in a daymultiple times. Had it for 5yrs now, can't imagine getting rid of it.