Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

powdercoating the frame black satin? opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Squid

VTRsupersport is on a distinguished road
powdercoating the frame black satin? opinions??

Hi guys,
just after some feedback on powdercoating my frame black satin. I may do the swingarm as well.
Im building up a naked bike from a damaged vtr I recently bought so am after some new ideas.

is powdercoating an alloy frame advisable?
will it flake off the shiny areas or will they need bead blasting first for better adhesion?

are there methods of powdercoating to avoid?

just curious, any feedback appreciated...

Last edited by VTRsupersport; 02-20-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: delete my uncalled for comment!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Squid

Mrmadness is on a distinguished road
Powder coating

You. May want to look at a two pack spray option. It provides as much coverage and protection as PC however it is cheaper as there are far more suppliers of this type of applicant. I did my subframe in two pack.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 AM
New to the Hawk!
Squid

bahndrvr is on a distinguished road
I will be painting mine no powdercoat for me as I plan on leaving mine in a running state at all times, I mean I'll prep like crazy, and remove the tank etc, but either Berliner for the slight texture, or Hammerite will be what I'm doing, I park on the beach so the aluminum will get ate at an alarming rate so this is almost a requirement for me
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I powder coated my frame/swingearm/wheels/valve covers/triples/rearsets/random bits all for $370 including prep work.

Frame and swinger are two part powder coats. One color and one gloss coat.

You should be able to get frame and swinger done at a reasonable price, especially if you do a one coat color (satin).

Highly recommended, will not flake off, very durable, you can see the results in my signature.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Squid

VTRsupersport is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I powder coated my frame/swingearm/wheels/valve covers/triples/rearsets/random bits all for $370 including prep work.

Frame and swinger are two part powder coats. One color and one gloss coat.

You should be able to get frame and swinger done at a reasonable price, especially if you do a one coat color (satin).

Highly recommended, will not flake off, very durable, you can see the results in my signature.
yep, your bike looks hot in the signature! I'll be getting the frame done in asia where I'll be riding the bike and the actual process will only cost around $50 there. I'll prep it myself and may scuff up the shiny bits for better adhesion.
chrome wor there is utter crap, (not that I'm into chrome anyway). Just thought the pc would be good as its cheap and hopefully more durable than the 2pack.

when i've had PC done before over there a they said they had to give it a clear top coat or the PC would fade. I dont know about this, but I definately DONT want a gloss black finish! anyone come across this before? maybe a crap process they are using?or no UV inhibiters in the paint coat?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
I had the smooth parts polished and the cast parts pc matte black... love it...
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had mine powder coated in a shade called chili pepper.
Attached Thumbnails powdercoating the frame black satin? opinions??-100_0794-2.jpg