SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   powdercoating the frame black satin? opinions?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/powdercoating-frame-black-satin-opinions-27598/)

VTRsupersport 02-19-2012 10:53 PM

powdercoating the frame black satin? opinions??

Hi guys,
just after some feedback on powdercoating my frame black satin. I may do the swingarm as well.
Im building up a naked bike from a damaged vtr I recently bought so am after some new ideas.

is powdercoating an alloy frame advisable?
will it flake off the shiny areas or will they need bead blasting first for better adhesion?

are there methods of powdercoating to avoid?

just curious, any feedback appreciated...

Mrmadness 02-20-2012 06:03 AM

Powder coating

You. May want to look at a two pack spray option. It provides as much coverage and protection as PC however it is cheaper as there are far more suppliers of this type of applicant. I did my subframe in two pack.

bahndrvr 02-20-2012 06:12 AM

I will be painting mine no powdercoat for me as I plan on leaving mine in a running state at all times, I mean I'll prep like crazy, and remove the tank etc, but either Berliner for the slight texture, or Hammerite will be what I'm doing, I park on the beach so the aluminum will get ate at an alarming rate so this is almost a requirement for me:)

7moore7 02-20-2012 07:24 AM

I powder coated my frame/swingearm/wheels/valve covers/triples/rearsets/random bits all for $370 including prep work.

Frame and swinger are two part powder coats. One color and one gloss coat.

You should be able to get frame and swinger done at a reasonable price, especially if you do a one coat color (satin).

Highly recommended, will not flake off, very durable, you can see the results in my signature.

VTRsupersport 02-20-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 325380)
I powder coated my frame/swingearm/wheels/valve covers/triples/rearsets/random bits all for $370 including prep work.

Frame and swinger are two part powder coats. One color and one gloss coat.

You should be able to get frame and swinger done at a reasonable price, especially if you do a one coat color (satin).

Highly recommended, will not flake off, very durable, you can see the results in my signature.

yep, your bike looks hot in the signature! I'll be getting the frame done in asia where I'll be riding the bike and the actual process will only cost around $50 there. I'll prep it myself and may scuff up the shiny bits for better adhesion.
chrome wor there is utter crap, (not that I'm into chrome anyway). Just thought the pc would be good as its cheap and hopefully more durable than the 2pack.

when i've had PC done before over there a they said they had to give it a clear top coat or the PC would fade. I dont know about this, but I definately DONT want a gloss black finish! anyone come across this before? maybe a crap process they are using?or no UV inhibiters in the paint coat?

maniac2313 03-08-2012 07:23 PM

I had the smooth parts polished and the cast parts pc matte black... love it...

hawxter996 03-09-2012 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had mine powder coated in a shade called chili pepper.