Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Powdercoating...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Powdercoating...

Another quick question from my pesky noob curiosity. Are these all just little studs left over from the molding process? Can I grind them off (with the exception of the direction arrow, of course)? I am looking to powdercoat the rims and frame a light titanium color while everything is apart and think it would be cool to get rid of all this insignia.

Name:  P9170365.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  17.1 KB

Any tips on powdercoating while I'm at it?
I'll have them media blast the wheels and frame b/c I am trying to conserve my energy for other bike related projects... I know the general process and such, just never had to interview different facilities and have a habit of being way to lenient when dealing with people who I am having work for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't waste my time grinding all that stuff down. The powder coat will flow over it but you'll still be able to see the writing. If your powdercoater has a problem with outgassing (when the item being coated produces gas bubbles) make sure they use an additive which lengthens the cure time and it will look good. I had that problem with one wheel when I had my six spokers dones.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd leave the casting studs alone as you don't know thick the are and you could end up grinding a hole in the spoke before you even get rid of the stud. I've had good luck with Arizona Powder Coat in Phoenix. When you drop off the wheel be sure to tell them not to blast the shoulder where the rotors mount as it will create an uneven mating surface for the rotor causing it to warp the carrier when you tighten it down in turn bending the rotor.

Arizona Powder Coat
5301 E Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85034
(602) 220-0553