Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Newbie Questions Handlebars Etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Squid

bmwalfaone is on a distinguished road
Newbie Questions Handlebars Etc

Hello out there!
I am a 54 year old life long motorcycle enthusiast. I have been reading and studying Superhawks for the past few months and yesterday I picked one up, a 1998. I also currently have a Yamaha FJR1300 and I have had a Hawk GT NT650 for years.
I find the handlebar position on the Hawk GT suits me real well and I have a spare set of these bars ,41mm.
I saw some earlier posts on the site regarding the use of these bars but not much detail was given. My questions follow;
1) Will these bars bolt onto my Superhawk?
2) Will I need brake and clutch lines, any recommended sources, what length?
3) Any fairing modifications (cutting) required, recommended methods?
4) I heard something about using a different throttle sleeve (VFR800?) for less wrist twisting. As long as I have things disassembled this sounds like a nice idea. Part number or year of this new part?
I took the bike out last night for only about 15 minutes..a blast!
This is a great site with a lot of support, thanks in advance!

PS - I would certainly be open to other suggestions for getting the bar position a couple of inches higher.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't done this myself but the gt bars will fit. again my own opinion here but I don't think there's enough of a height difference to warrant new brake/clutch lines. I would throw them on and see how it goes. if there's an issue, then you can just put it back if you need to. I haven't seen alot of examples of superhawks with gt bars, but I know its been done before.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I've kinda wondered the same thing... I was thinking of putting my GT bars underneath the triples. They've got so much rise, that I think it would be similar to VFR bars, which is a popular mod among the STers. It's possible that the stock lines would fit if you raised the forks, but that may only be true with aftermarket s/s lines. Anyway, if it works, let us know some of those details, would ya?