Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

new wheels/swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:14 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
new wheels/swingarm

Finally got my new wheels mounted. I had found a great set of used OZ wheels for an RC51 last year and already had the RC front end. I have been trying to get a swingarm out of JMC for nearly that long. I really like the OZ wheels look. Now that they are on - what a difference in handling and feel. much lighter steering and much more flickable.

Altogether from teh stock SH rear end, weight for the entire rear wheel/sprocket/disc/tires went from about 25# to 17#. The front was already an SP2 wheel-setup and dropped from about 26# total weight with tires, to 24#. The swingarm was another2# drop. Anyway, rotating mass and all, better distribution of weight on the wheel = big difference in feel. Not sure I can tell a difference in the swingarm at street pace - I just think the stock arm is one of the uglier pieces on the bike and really wanted to be able to match the front RC wheel.

For the swingarm - I would never deal with them (JMC) again. I will give a strong rec to a guy david cork at streetfighters by design who helped me get the arm from them in the end. He can get a lot of custom parts and has quite a few contacts if you need a hard to find thing. The JMC guys are really terrible customer service - you've read that before, but it is true. I was in no hurry and had low hopes when I ordered it, but wasn't out anything so figured what the hell. and it actually finally came. In the end it would have been less work converting an SP2 arm - the JMC is nice but even when I finally got it, it wasn't set up as ordered to easily accept the RC rear wheel and still required some (straightforward) machine work. Anyway, got everything bolted up finally.

before/after pics

Name:  P1060809.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  newwheels.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  137.5 KB
Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Squid
Squid

thumper61713 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Looks good!!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:01 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Nice. Love the wheels and the exhaust.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Interesting. Those drilled top clamp and tubular SB bars?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
That's tight!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Any idea what the total weight of that beast is now? Looks friggin' awesome! -- R.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:49 PM
SuperBike

thanks guys. don't know what it weighs now. The biggest drops have been wheels, full exhaust, clipons in place of stock pegs/passenger pegs. I have to get a heavy duty scale and weigh the front and rear and see. might be in the range of 40-45# less overall?

Skokie - yes, the triples are drilled with risers and fatbars. I still have to find black bar ends for them and trim an jnch off each end to make them narrower, but the riding position is perfect for me now. lots of little detail jobs to do this winter!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cliby
thanks guys. don't know what it weighs now. The biggest drops have been wheels, full exhaust, clipons in place of stock pegs/passenger pegs. I have to get a heavy duty scale and weigh the front and rear and see. might be in the range of 40-45# less overall?

Skokie - yes, the triples are drilled with risers and fatbars. I still have to find black bar ends for them and trim an jnch off each end to make them narrower, but the riding position is perfect for me now. lots of little detail jobs to do this winter!
The term generally used for your pegs are "rear sets". I went the other direction and lowered my pegs with MFW (MVF) Vario adapters & pegs. I tried Helibars for a long time then went to Tommaselli 3-way clips but due to neck & arm injuries I am still not quite comfortable. I regret now selling the spare top clamp I bought to drill for risers & tubular bars. Do you still have your OE top clamp and if so, willing to sell it to me? It would be my little winter project. If not, anyone else out there who has put on a different front end have a spare OE top clamp they'll part with? I think I sold mine for about $40.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:50 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by skokievtr
The term generally used for your pegs are "rear sets". .
HAHA - thanks for catching that, was tired when I wrote it. rearsets huh? I guess I've heard that term before.

I also went through a bunch of versions of handlebars before finally settling on these. For street riding long distances I just need a little more upright for comfort. For track I don't care. Including heli's, superbike bars, convertibars and finally these. These are the best - and you can get a lot of options with rise and bar bends. Highly recommend them.
I don't stil have any stock triples - but I am sure ebay can be your friend pretty cheap for those - or list a new thread in for sale/want to buy. I really don't think you are going to risk much by drilling the one you have either - it shouldn't weaken them. good luck
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Hey Skokie, I sent you a PM I have one.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cliby
HAHA - thanks for catching that, was tired when I wrote it. rearsets huh? I guess I've heard that term before.

I also went through a bunch of versions of handlebars before finally settling on these. For street riding long distances I just need a little more upright for comfort. For track I don't care. Including heli's, superbike bars, convertibars and finally these. These are the best - and you can get a lot of options with rise and bar bends. Highly recommend them.
I don't stil have any stock triples - but I am sure ebay can be your friend pretty cheap for those - or list a new thread in for sale/want to buy. I really don't think you are going to risk much by drilling the one you have either - it shouldn't weaken them. good luck
Can you be very specific in regard to exactly what manufacturer risers & bars you finally chose; i.e., riser & bar model, rise, sweep, diameter, width, bend, etc? Http links would be swell too. The Tommaselli's are pretty close but I need a bit more rise and rearward grip location. Did you need to trim the fairing? Couldn't tell from the pics. More pics would be helpful. Views down and forward and from the side. Sorry to hijack your thread. There were a few "superbike" bar conversion threads on this forum.

here are links to the tommaselli's

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=12621

http://vintagecosmo.com/store/ (Cosmo does not appear to sell them anymore and is difficult to contact)

these guys carry them but at $175 for a set versus the $100 Cosmo sold me them! http://www.guzzino.com/toadcl.html Good photo of them though. I have plenty of pics of mine installed. These guys have them a bit cheaper
http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/ha.../prod_302.html I wonder if the forum Boelens (rboelens@sbcglobal.net) or Dave Wicks still have theirs?

thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

tag risers. the bar came from spiegler USA - superbike fat bar I believe it was called. no fairing trimming required. there are probably going to be subtle differences as I have an RC front end on the bike so already lost some steering lock which reduces interferences with the tank I am sure. but you can reduce lock using some wheel weights on the stock lock tabs also. here is a write up with better pics I think. others on here have other threads also on the process.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...hlight=fatbars
Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
SuperBike

these were also mentioned in that thread - another very good looking option - probably close to convertibars

http://www.swattmotorcycle.com/Clip-Ons.html
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
I told myself before I clicked on this link I would try not to be envious of the new setup.... too late. Veeery nice setup.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:18 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Crashrat
Any idea what the total weight of that beast is now? Looks friggin' awesome! -- R.

I tried to weigh it tonite in the garage when I had to jack it up to check the front wheel. Using a scale and keeping front/rear wheel level while weighing I get 424# with nearly full tank of fuel. Guessing right around 45 pounds less
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome! Looks like a completely different bike! You can tell that bike means business just by looking at it. Great job!

Last edited by inderocker; 10-26-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Awesome looking bike! I'm thinking November Bike of the month..........You've got one vote at least
Old 10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The bike is looking good Bill
Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by alive226
Awesome looking bike! I'm thinking November Bike of the month..........You've got one vote at least

make that two
Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Squid

nighthawk745 is on a distinguished road
Absolutely gorgeous!! You are definately inspiring me to breath new life into my 70000 km 'hawk :-)
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Very nicely done!!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Very nice.I like it... Nice one Bill
Old 11-01-2009, 04:50 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Bike looks awesome (although I must confess I am not too keen on underslung swingarm braces, but that is strictly an aesthetic thing) and must run even better than it looks. Congrats on a job well done!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM
MotoGP

Any reason as to why you kept the stock front calipers?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
These are fatbars not chopped, they are titled "Mini" and the overall width is that of most sportbikes. As you can see I can fit all switches/controls onto the bars and they don't look too wide or out of place like that on most std fatbars. In your case it would be cheaper to just cut off at this point.
My two cents.....

Your bike looks great by the way!!!!
Attached Thumbnails new wheels/swingarm-dsc_0017.jpg   new wheels/swingarm-dsc_0018.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
SuperBike

thanks guys. mikstr they are the stock RC51 calipers, not SH. I was unsure on top or bottom bracing - its trivial but I figured the lower the weight the better and it was what JMC also suggested as having the least fit issues so.........

VTS - those look almost the same width as mine (mine are 30") and I figure I can trim at least an inch from each side - which should be close to what I want. Narrower is better. Do you know just straight across from end to end what they measure?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

maybe I need to get my eyes checked but those look like SH calipers to me (see link for RC calipers: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-06...Q5fAccessories)

As for the swingarm, it is a nice piece no doubt about it, the weight saving being an added bonus.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:20 PM
SuperBike

hmmm, can't say for sure. were the RC the same all years - its odd the SH would swap right on? I don't actually recall, maybe I switched back to use up some extra sintered pads I had for it - but I wouldn't have thought they would be a direct swap. I actually don't remember. I have some 1000RR calipers I have been waiting to put on and just haven't gotten around yet!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

The RC calipers were the same externally for all years (same as 98-99 900RR, 929, 954 and F4i) but they did switch to smaller pistons on the SP-2 (to go with the smaller MC). Not surprisign that the VTR calipers fit, however, as the Sp calipers fit the VTR fork with only a slight grinding. SWitch them calipers and be prepared for some serious braking my friend! I suggest you get one of the F4i/late 900RR/SP-1/929 version as the pistons are larger, therefore generate more squeeze. Either way, however, they`ll be a major upgrade from the stock VTR units.

Again, your bike is awesome!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM
SuperBike

good to know. I have so many caliper sets in the garage from years of modifying this thing. But I know that I have actually had the RC calipers on it before for sure, but must have swapped back for some reason. but to be honest, with braded lines, the RC master cylinder and sintered pads, I actually can not tell any substantial difference.

Just did some more brake work last nite. Will take some pics and post or enter it into that bike of the month poll

Quick Reply: new wheels/swingarm