Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Squid

MidWestSuperHawkRider is on a distinguished road
Talking Need advice!

Ok Im kind of new to riding but already feel comfortable riding. My 2001 SuperHawk is my 3rd bike. I upgraded from a 08 Ninja 650r and loving it. Anyways Im going to get a Dynojet Stage 1 Jet kit in a month and Im not to familiar with motorcycle mechanics yet. But hey gotta start somewhere. So what Im looking for is positive advice and feedback as to what kinda of questions I should ask the mechanic to do or look for when installing the kit, anything that I should think about adding in addition that would help the power performance that would deal with the jet kit and what not. Sorry for the long post. I hope I was clear enough as to what kind of info I am looking to get out of this post.Oh and the only performance/aftermarket parts are 2 Brothers Exhaust that were on when I bought them. My friend previously owned the bike and swears up and down they are the best. Any suggestions on that as well?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. Why do you think that you need a jet kit? The answer to that will help us answer your question. Thanks. JB
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Aloha and welcome to the forum. A mechanic with a dyno would be able to do before and after readings to see how well the re-jetting is going. I have Scorpion high-mount CF cans and am very happy with them.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Squid

royalassassin is on a distinguished road
I would get the dynorun first to see if you even need the jet kit. The superhawk is really a beast to get to run right when jetting it and because of this it is expensive to have someone do it and not worth what little if any gains you get from it.. I found the jet kit didn't do anything. Your buddy is right about the exhaust, Two Brothers rocks and sound awesome. The only time it is required to change the jets is if you are doing something to the engine such as upgrading the cam or valves, etc. Something that will drastically change the way the bike needs air or gas. Since you only have aftermarket pipes I seriously doubt a jet kit will be worth the money your gonna pay to get it done.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Squid

1st of I want to thank you all for helping and replying to my post. The reason I want the jet kit is to boost power and perormance. I want to start adding performance parts and want to start with the cheapest way of doing it and figured that the jet kit was 1 of the cheapest parts to add. I plan on adding as much performance parts as I can that will help boost power and performance. Then I plan on possibly re painting the bike and doing little cosmetic work. I love this bike and want it to be the best that it can be as I plan on having it for several more years : ). So with that said should I start with other parts before the jet kit? Im going to get K&N air filters as well so I know that will help a little. Thank you all again this is my 1st time doing any kind of forum like this and its cause I know Im going to be keeping my bike and want to make it the best that I can. As well further my knowledge on bikes specifically my SH.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
dont do a k&n for a superhawk, they are not a benefit.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Squid

Ok so if not K&N then what kinda air filter? Also are there other things I should start on that would help boost performance and power before I add a jet kit? Or just anything in general that I should do to prep for the jet kit?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Superstock

stock air filter is the way to go... i would suggest if the bike runs right to leave it alone... i chased jetting gremlims for a long time. i ended up with a # 48 pilot and shimming the needles .040. I set the TPS to 505 ohms and called it a day.

Last edited by skoshere; 04-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Squid

All that you said you did I dont even know what that is lol can you explain a little bit what all that means and what it did to the performance/power of the bike? And the bike seems to be running fine I just all the performance/power I can get out of it with a stock engine

Last edited by MidWestSuperHawkRider; 04-13-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Superstock

i dont think jetting has a huge effect on power, maybe performance (driveability,throttle response,etc.). With aftermarket cans you may be lean, jetting will correct this or make it better. I dont think there will be huge power gains.

a K&N doesnt benefit these bikes like it does in some car/bikes. It is more of a pain in the *** to tune and seems to leave holes in the power band.

do a search for needle shim, tps mod, pilot jets. that will lead you to a wealth of all ready documented knowledge.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Squid

Alright thanks for the info as long as it effect performance for the greater good then I want it done : ) just hope its the right place to start. Any more advice or suggestions from any one that comes across this thread would be greatly appreciated. And I will start looking up that stuff so Im not completely oblivious to what people are talking about haha.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Squid

royalassassin is on a distinguished road
This bike has more power than you'll be able to use, stick with suspension and cosmetics and spend more time riding to improve your skill. If you ever take it to the track you'll see what I mean about more power than you need.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Superstock

i guess in a nut shell without internal mods (cams, pistons, etc. ) your jetting gains are going to be small ( unless your a/f is way off).

I would go with ss lines, upgraded calipers, mc, fork springs, valves, etc. ( no particular order) as your starting point.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
[quote=skoshere;261726
I would go with ss lines, upgraded calipers, mc, fork springs, valves, etc. ( no particular order) as your starting point.[/quote]

I´m sorry but could you please translate what are "ss lines, upgraded calipers, mc"?
I´m still learning about the technical terms...
Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
braided stainless steel brake lines (or kevlar), Brake calipers with larger pistons such as F4i (these will bolt on) different master cylinders have different bore diameters which will give you either a shorter lever travel or greater mechanical advantage on the calipers. Fork spring and valves are the valves and springs in your fork, the stock springs are very soft and the stock valves are very restrictive. I hope this helps, searching the terms might be helpful too. Good luck and remember most Americans don't speak one language as well as you speak at least two.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
Man, after 12 years riding my VTR it took this fórum to know that there´s the possibility of upgrading those soft forks...
Thanks spadle. I´m going to have a look on that.
And mc stands for?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
brake master cylinder. You can put in stiffer springs and better flowing valves (racetech.com) or do a fork swap and get an entirely upgraded front end.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Squid

Again thanks everybody for your suggestion and believe I know the SH has alot of power and Ive had it to 145mph a few weeks ago it was amazing. I would like to get it to a track though. Im also going to have it dyno tested before I do anything to see exactly where Im sitting. And question when people say they have a flat spot at a certain rpm range what exactly are they talking about?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Too old for this
Squid

Herbie is on a distinguished road
Ok, I've been riding and wrenching on bikes for a pretty long time and not to be harsh but when anyone that is "kind of new to riding" is intent on doing any/all performance mods I start to cringe. First and foremost, if you have not already done so, invest in some quality leather. Then it's best to start on suspension and brake upgrades, if your goal is more power you'll need the handling and stopping power to contain it. Especially if you're heading to the track, riding skill aside - a better handling bike will have a distinct advantage over a higher power machine. Finally, come up with an overall plan for the performance mods - everything depends on everything else - especially jetting. Read through the library of information already posted in the fourms and decide on what exactly you are going to do then save up and do it all at once (or at least the A/F bits). That will save you a ton of time and $$$ in trying to dial in carbs every time you mess with another part.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Squid

By A/F you mean air flow?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Squid

Ok so I was wondering should I be able to power into a wheelie in any other gear besides 1st? I can do it in 1st between 4-5000rpm but I cant do it in 2nd
Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Superstock

A/F = Air/fuel mixture
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
it seems to me the guys able to power wheelie in second have gear their bike lower. Some people claim to be able to power wheelie second but their definition is different then mine would be, for instance rev it in second chop the gas then snap the throttle back on seems a little more involved then just a "power wheelie". If it helps I haven't ever been able to do second gear wheelies, but I am a chicken with that sort of thing and always see images of crashing in my head .
Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Squid

Well that's kind of what I do in 1st just roll into that 4-5000rpm range and in 1 swift motion push the throttle forward and crank back on it really quickly. And in my definition of powering into a wheelie is if you aren't using your clutch to get it up.