Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

My new SV650 makes VTR feel porky

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Plus, the stock SV650S comes with a 120/60 front tire (which actually slows turn-in), and a 160/60 rear tire. Anyone who is running the OEM size rear and has no chicken strips, is a very good rider or just plain has huge huevos.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ That would be me!

its got a 120/70 front mounted on a GSXR rim and the stock 160 in the back...no chicken strips. Then again the VTR doesnt have any either. but like i said, taking the SV to the limit feels easier than the VTR.

we'll see if the GSXR 1000 front end i'm putting on the VTR will help over the F4i
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I guess everyone sees it different. My VTR is now naked. I had an '00 naked SV650. I like the VTR better hands down. I had clip ons on the SV for a short time. Not long enough to really appreciate the experiance. I DO have chicken strips so I have more to learn about riding. But I love the Hawk and the TBR cans sound sooo sweet.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The sv makes a great race bike. I have done every event so far in Loudon & New Jersey on it. No real mods, just ohlins shock & race tech front. Only a filter & pipe so I can do production classes. You can just flog lightwieght bikes more on the track & have more fun. The front wheel still comes up with my knee down on some crested turns. Really a blast. I still prefer the hawk on the street......
Old 03-05-2011, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

Re visiting this post because I finally put a shock spacer in. Feels less porky. Alot more like the SV now. Feels like the bike lost 50lbs!. If you haven't done this yet you gotta try it..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
It's pretty amazing huh? Now if only the VTR looked like a 996 Ducati lol..
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Re visiting this post because I finally put a shock spacer in. Feels less porky. Alot more like the SV now. Feels like the bike lost 50lbs!. If you haven't done this yet you gotta try it..
Joe, what thickness is the shock spacer?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 PM
MotoGP

spacer

The spacer was this cut big washer @ 3-4mm. Figured I would start there and maybe add another but that may be too much.
Attached Thumbnails My new SV650 makes VTR feel porky-spacercut2.21-002.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
I don't get you guys.
You're compairing apples and oranges.

Go test ride an SV1000 and tell me which bike feels porky.

Of course any smaller displacement bike will feel smaller and lighter than a litre bike???????

My wife has a 2010 SV. When I ride it, it feels like any underpowered bicycle to me.

The horsepower difference is huge.

And of course the SV handles better.
The SV is one of the best handeling bikes coming out of Japan for years.

With that said, the VTR is fantastic for a litre bike.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
My VTR makes my Road King feel like a pig........
Old 03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Squid

stormingjoe is on a distinguished road
I've just put a 120/60 tyre on the front of my storm, allows it to turn quicker, also reset the forks to standard in the yokes(triples), has the racetech stuff inside anyhoo, front end feels lighter as well, I have an sv650 as well which actually a pretty good bike, storm more stable in the corner and oodles more power also got loads more character!!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM
MotoGP

And my fan club begins
Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Add another spacer joe. Mine has about 1/2 a centimeter total.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:33 PM
MotoGP

Wow that much? For track or street? I do want to try a bit more but another one would be pushing 6mm. I only street ride on this bike so I will try it but probly dont need it.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i had a drag race at the track against a lighter rider on an sv last season. i came out of a corner behind him and pulled him pretty hard. im sure theyre a bit more nimble likely being a good bit lighter. but then again the vtr is a heavy bike especially when you have something lighter to compare it to. when i push it around my garage its like moving a fridge vs the lighter zx6r i have sitting there
Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Wow that much? For track or street? I do want to try a bit more but another one would be pushing 6mm. I only street ride on this bike so I will try it but probly dont need it.
Both. mostly street though.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
i had a drag race at the track against a lighter rider on an sv last season. i came out of a corner behind him and pulled him pretty hard. im sure theyre a bit more nimble likely being a good bit lighter. but then again the vtr is a heavy bike especially when you have something lighter to compare it to. when i push it around my garage its like moving a fridge vs the lighter zx6r i have sitting there
That can be improved on... Mine is down to just over 400# with a tank of gas in it... It makes a noticable difference... Not to mention the extra hp on top of that...
Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
That can be improved on... Mine is down to just over 400# with a tank of gas in it... It makes a noticable difference... Not to mention the extra hp on top of that...
+1
Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
yeah but were not all ocd like you are, lol. i wonder what mines at. with the fiberglass tail and the aluminum subframe i must have saved a pound or two.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Squid

EvlDrPorkChop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mtr_NH
very true, havin gone from a gen1 SV to gen2 SV and now a SH... got hooked early on vtwins and was a good step up to somethng that has more power, etc
I have gone through the same progression - NT650, 1gen SV, TLS, and SH... I love twins!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
My VTR makes my Road King feel like a pig........
I almost spewed Mt. Dew all over my keyboard reading that one!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Squid

compmoto is on a distinguished road
hi all, I finally have my bike road-legal, and will likely start-modding/tuning it once I feel the need for something to further its capabilities in the suspension area. Tuning the stock set up is fine, and will be for the foreseeable future, but what are the options I can look for , in the way of forks ? I've heard that upgrading to a 929/954 fork is a good route to go.And what front brake combo works well. My weight is 175lbs, and my riding ability is average aggressive...this is a streetbike,that may become a trackday bike,at least once. I have rode SVs, but this is a 1K, and hence no comparison. Honda made a mini-Hawk for that ...one must wonder how an upgraded chassis,"new release" FI 650 Hawk would do against the omni potent "mighty" SV650 ...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Another option to improve the front end is to re-work the current forks (valves,springs, oil, etc) and get yourself a fork brace.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Another option to improve the front end is to re-work the current forks (valves,springs, oil, etc) and get yourself a fork brace.
Is there a specific fork brace you recommend? I am currently considering exactly what you suggest but I have not seen a currently available fork brace for a Superhawk.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Maybe these?

Honda - SuperBrace - The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer
Max MC Direct
or ebay...

I dunno really though, I did the CBR 929rr swap, other members may be able to help out more...
Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Sanely riding since 1975!
Squid

Travelinguy1960 is on a distinguished road
Had a SV 650 for 3 days.
HATED IT!
Whoever said the EFI was "flawless" must be crazy or only have ridden EFI bikes.
Hate the way the gas is either on or off. No in between, no throttle feel, no lag for the carbs to kick in.
Felt like some electric scooter.
I'll keep my carbed Superhawk forever if all EFI systems are as artificial feeling as the SV650's.
Best,
Gunny
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Riden both the 650 and the 1000. The throttle is more abrupt but I found it quite easy to adjust my throttle hand accordingly. I do prefer the linearity of carbs and mine are tuned quite well, if I do say so, myself.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Travelinguy1960
Had a SV 650 for 3 days.
HATED IT!
Whoever said the EFI was "flawless" must be crazy or only have ridden EFI bikes.
Hate the way the gas is either on or off. No in between, no throttle feel, no lag for the carbs to kick in.
Felt like some electric scooter.
I'll keep my carbed Superhawk forever if all EFI systems are as artificial feeling as the SV650's.
Best,
Gunny
My wife has an '07 SV650S that she's Ridden for over 34,000 miles. I've ridden it as well, including a couple of spirited canyon rides, and I don't notice any problem with the fuel delivery.

Where I would enter a corner on my Superhawk with the tach at approximately 5k rpm, on the SV I enter corners at 7k rpm. At that engine speed I find the throttle quite manageable.

It is however a much higher compression engine, and it has an 11,000 rpm redline. So there is more of a top end rush, similar to an I-4, than we get with our Superhawks. And there's no comparison when it comes to low end torque... Superhawk wins.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah my SV is the carbed one. Feel was the same as the SH.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
That why they sell Power Commanders, my 05 SV650S rocks and will run circles around my superchicken. Lil-SV is lighter, turns better, Wheelies the same, stops better and has a bigger grin factor.

Shame Honda didn't capitalize on mid-size v-twin like Suzuki did. Suzuki has sold a ton of the SV650 bikes. Honda has lost their way. Sure they make great race bikes and racing engines, but they are not making the bikes i want to buy.

Quick Reply: My new SV650 makes VTR feel porky