Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

"Mototune" porting: anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
"Mototune" porting: anyone try it?

Check out the link: Think Fast--Intake Porting For Motorcycles and Cars

Disregarding the boisterous presentation, the theory seems sound. Wondering if anyone has tried this on the VTR?

cheers
Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
I would hope that since 2002 engine designers have put a bit of R & D into combustion efficiency for our road going fuels. I cant see in any of the babble what fuel he's using. I can see the theory but its assuming modern engine designers dont know about the theory in the first place. Lets not forget the engines we use have to idle at traffic lights, meet emission regs as well as produce power at full noise and be reliable throughout a long service life and a host of other variables.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
What he is proposing would beneficial in all those regards. FWIW, I recall reading that BMW recently went with smaller ports on its WSB S1000RR precisely to get better acceleration, so the ideas are definitely not out of date....... Other bikes have also gone down the road of smaller ports of late (one of the mods carried out by KTM in building the 1290 SDR engine from the RC8, for example).....

The thing I am curious about is if the port sizes on the VTR are already relatively small, so as to negate any potential benefits, or if it would be worth the trouble. The RC51, from what I read had much larger ports than the VTR, so it would likely be a good candidate for this mod. However, I don't own an RC so it's a moot point. What I do own is a VTR, hence my interest. Guess I may have to do some measuring and see for myself.....
Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
when I found motomans pages I was up to 2am reading every bulletin he wrote. Right now I'm building a YZF600 engine for my race bike. After I get it running and on the Dyno, I'm going to velocity port a spare head I have, and test the difference.

He says himself it doesn't produce the same increase on all bikes, and he has a long list of models he's confirmed results.

One factory example he quotes is the Honda CBR600's, when changed from F2 to F3 the engine produced more power, and had smaller intake ports.