Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Moriwaki cams problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Squid

stefano is on a distinguished road
Moriwaki cams problems ?

Hi, this is my first post....
I'm stefano from Italy, here our bike is Firestorm but the core is the same :-D !!
I'm buying these cams "as is" so I'll have them without any instruction.
My question are:

1) Regarding carburators (oops... is right?) I'll have to fit a dynojet kit or the standard jets are ok?

2) Does anyone have a tecnical documentation about these cams?

About air filter I think I'll mantain the original one but I'll buy a new exhaust system...

Thanks and sorry for my english !

Stefano
Old 06-11-2006, 01:53 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're putting the time into cams you will want to do a jet kit. You might want to do a K&N or similar as well, there's not a big benefit with a stock motor but with cams I think it would be worth it. If you've got the cash go for a full exhaust system not just slip-ons. Oh and your English is a lot better than my Italian. :wink:
Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Squid

Nice Superhawk !
No, "cash not avaible" I will put a slip-ons: luckly there are some exhaust manufacturer in the next so I'll buy it directly to the factory.
Right, with cams the motor need more air so I'll make a new air filter......
Do you know if these cams can replace the original without any other modification ?
I'll have to check valves clearance.
I'll do this job in the next winter, it seems a long work..... right for foggy days
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Your best bet would be to contact Roger Ditchfield of Revolution Racing, the ever-helpful and extremely knowledgeable UK distributor for Moriwaki. Do a Google search on it, it will be the best thing you can do

good luck
Mikstr

P.S. Of course, if you can't get them to work and you want to sell them.....
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
the cams should fit up directly. It would be best to check lobe centers with a degree wheel, but they should be very close. I have the lobe center spec at home. I can give it to you if you want them.

Word is, from dyno testing that the K&N style filter results in a small loss in midrange (what the VTR engine is best at) for a very small gain in top end, even with a stage 1 engine. The Stage 1 cams work really well with increased compression, but should be ok with a stock bottom end.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
how much have people around here put down with cams + pistons + milling the head? 115 or so? I haven't seen much on it... oh and for others I know where to find yoshimura cams in the US, but not moriwaki ones...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Squid

Thank you Mikstr, I will ask to you if I'll not use them but.... it's really difficult
Here in Italy VTR is not a popoular bike, we've Ducati, the name in twin cylinder.
Yes, Ducati is better but more expansive at the same engine power (before I had a fzr 1000 so I'd like to feel at least 100 hp) and.... VTR is really nice: light and friendly to use... my wife is satisfied too !
After Moriwaky recipe I will have about 115 hp: right power, plus I'm buying these cams for about 200$ by second hand
Thanks to you too RCVTR but there are too many kilometers.... oops miles
Old 06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
No9: where can you get Yoshi cams for VTR in the US?

cheers
Mikstr
Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
roll through
Squid

vtrider is on a distinguished road
I think I got the last set on the planet for $250 brand new. They are discontinued in the US and in Japan. I looked for them for a year and even when I thought I had found some through my friends shop (Evolution Suspension,shameless plug) Some other Jagoff bought all remaining 14 sets and shipped them to timbuktu or somewhere because noone ever answered the phone at the place.(I tried calling them for a month solid)

It was pretty disheartening seeing that Yosh shipped them my set of cams in error and couldn't get them back. So almost a year later (also tried getting Mori cams on my last trip to Japan,out of stock of course) I did my weekly google search and found a listing. The listing was expired and gone but,for the mother of all luck, googles cached page was still perfect and I managed to contact the seller. He told me HE STILL HAD THEM!!!!!!! He sold them to me for 250 plus $15 shipping.
BEHOLD!!

Name:  gonz16261.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  125.3 KB

I still haven't put them in,I was wondering if anyone else had them
Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
I called BVH and they still can get Moriwaki cams and exhaust. But now i'm curious about these yoshi cams. The guys at BVH suggested that if i went with cams that i add high comp pistons from JE as well. They want a little much for the cams but i think if some of you are making your VTR into a track bike like i am, then it's worth it. So where can you get the yoshi cams?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
I have Moriwaki cams, dyno'd at 115 hp. Honestly I didnt really notice much while riding but when up against other SH's Id walk on em. They are easy to install, just check the valve clearance. I didnt have to adjust mine. I got them from BVH.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vtrider
I think I got the last set on the planet for $250 brand new. They are discontinued in the US and in Japan. I looked for them for a year and even when I thought I had found some through my friends shop (Evolution Suspension,shameless plug) Some other Jagoff bought all remaining 14 sets and shipped them to timbuktu or somewhere because noone ever answered the phone at the place.(I tried calling them for a month solid)

It was pretty disheartening seeing that Yosh shipped them my set of cams in error and couldn't get them back. So almost a year later (also tried getting Mori cams on my last trip to Japan,out of stock of course) I did my weekly google search and found a listing. The listing was expired and gone but,for the mother of all luck, googles cached page was still perfect and I managed to contact the seller. He told me HE STILL HAD THEM!!!!!!! He sold them to me for 250 plus $15 shipping.
BEHOLD!!

You bastard! I need some of those and would gladly have paid that price.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I have the moriwaki cams. If I recall, when you could easily still locate the Yoshi cams there wasn't much price difference. I put them into an otherwise stock engine (with slipons) first, before I had time and all the parts to do a complete build. I noticed next to nothing in power gains (seat of pants or dyno'd). Over the next winter season I was able to put in the HC pistons, did some porting and then the combo got to 115 hp. With a full exhaust it feels like I've added substantially more to that combo but haven't had it check yet. I also had to degree the cams despite they being a drop in item - may have been some stretch in the cam chains or just tolerance issues, but should certainly be checked. Others have made similar comments about improving this engine being a combination of factors that work well together - in isolation you aren't going to notice much difference. So, my advice would be to consider what you're long terms plans (and finances because all these parts are expensive) are and come up with a overall package. There is a fair amount of experience on this site with these specific mods that you shouldn't have to do a lot of trial and error in going forward. but a budget would be a good starting place. I like my bike, and even more I like tinkering with it, but on performance basis, I doubt the cost would be justified. And by comparison, 800 for a high end shock, vs 800 for cams alone, would be an easy decision. Good luck

bill
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
oh, How right you are. Suspension is way more important to me than a engine mod that everyone says does very little. Well then, i guess i made my decision, thanks guys!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
roll through
Squid

vtrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
You bastard! I need some of those and would gladly have paid that price.
hahaha just do a search on google and you will probable find the same page I did. It all depends on how much you want to work for it. You never know,you may come across the rat bastard that has my cams. Lowball him,his cost should be $400 or less from yoshi. I even tried to lowball the guy selling me the cams for $250,what am I crazy?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
I just snagged Yoshi cams on Ebag

Won auction for $265. New in box. I bought the bike with 20k on it and what looks like minimal maintenance. The shop around here wants 90 an hour and quotes 3 hrs to adjust valves so I got the Yoshimura Stage-1 cams and a micrometer for the same money. I'll do the valves myself, get familiar with my new baby, drop in the APEs, at the same time, and check the cam chain and gear for wear etc.
I'll post progress and results when done. I'll throw in a long runner on the front intake too...should be a torque monster.
K
Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Back Marker

iscoot is on a distinguished road
we won the same auction!

i got the second set. let me know if you find a translation for the paperwork.

Originally Posted by redman
Won auction for $265. New in box. I bought the bike with 20k on it and what looks like minimal maintenance. The shop around here wants 90 an hour and quotes 3 hrs to adjust valves so I got the Yoshimura Stage-1 cams and a micrometer for the same money. I'll do the valves myself, get familiar with my new baby, drop in the APEs, at the same time, and check the cam chain and gear for wear etc.
I'll post progress and results when done. I'll throw in a long runner on the front intake too...should be a torque monster.
K
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
No need......just follow the manuals info on cam removal and install...see post above re Yoshi cams