Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust VS. straight pipes

Old 08-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Squid

VTR-2-GO is on a distinguished road
Exhaust VS. straight pipes

This may seem like a stupid question, but I need to ask. Recently I have been looking at different aftermarket exhaust systems. I have found that many of them use a straight through pipe instead of using baffles like the stock pipes. My question is this. If the aftermarket pipe is straight through, what is the difference if you were to just take the stock pipes off and add additional pipe to the mounting location of choice. (ie. underseat, shotgun style etc.) No can, just additional pipe. Is there something that the can is offering that I am not seeing? Like I say, I am no exhaust expert, so I am sure there is something that I am not seeing here. Just curious what it is.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
a whole lot of noise suppression for one thing
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Squid

I would assume so, however I have heard these bikes with no exhaust and then I have heard them with a few of these straight through systems as well. To be honest I did not think there was that much of a difference between no pipes and the straight through. I have never heard the scenarios side by side so maybe there is more of a difference then I could really tell. If so, I wonder if the sound is the only difference.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Even though you can see straight through the can it still has a baffle in it that makes it quieter and provides back pressure. If you didn't have the back pressure you could burn up your valves not to mention **** off a bunch of people including the ones who ride around in cars with lights on them.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Even though you can see straight through the can it still has a baffle in it that makes it quieter and provides back pressure. If you didn't have the back pressure you could burn up your valves not to mention **** off a bunch of people including the ones who ride around in cars with lights on them.
Thank you, that makes since. I guess even though sometimes you can't see something it does not mean that it isn't there. In this case I guess the side walls must act as some sort of sound buffer and catch the sound and pressure before it exits.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
The side walls of the cans have holes in them and diffuse the noise as it passes thru. You can look into the pipe and not see anything but a tube but look closer and you will see holes all over the tube where it becomes the inside of the can.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Imagine the can as an expansion chamber much like a suppressor on the tip of a high caliber rifle. It takes the "poof" or pop out of the exhaust flow. In so doing, provides a small amount of back-pressure, which is required for tuning purposes. Staight pipes on a Superhawk will get you arrested, evicted, and other bad scanarios. "You keep beating on the Devil's door - sooner or later somebody gonna answer!"
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Back Marker

BiggDaddyKool is on a distinguished road
:evil grin: nosey neighbors + straight stainless steel harley pipes = personal gratification....... yeah thats a thought there :nod:
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
The other thing you're overlooking is the packing that goes between the inner pipe and the outside of the can. The inner pipe is perferated and the sound is absorbed in the packing.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
You might look at...

The Team Integra web site has a lot of info about exhaust design. I've been leafing through (figurativly speaking) several of their articles on this. Also NSX Prime at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm.
Good reading!