Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

modified swingarm - finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:30 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
modified swingarm - finished

first a big thanks to Andrew ( cornandp ) for doing the hard part ... cutting & welding.

standard 900rr / superhawk build. bought the 900rr swingarm & rear brake caliper braket off ebay. andrew cut the brace & and anti-pivot rear brake bracket off & fitted them to my superhawk swingarm... he even hit it with the bead blaster to make it look pretty ( he had to cover the front bearings ).
bought some pit bull weld on type spools since it was going to be disassembled.

the finished product !

and a couple shots iinstalled.

and 1 of the bling carbon fiber chain guard ... w/ no chain because
i wasn't smart enough to order a new master link

tim
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
looks good man! tell us more once you're on it
Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Nice work guys! I did one awhile back and everyone should have one. It's cheap and it's easy and it looks the way they should have come in the first place.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
If you don't mind me asking, what did the chop & weld job cost?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
so is this the rear equivalent to a fork brace?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Syclone
If you don't mind me asking, what did the chop & weld job cost?

the welding was done by a fellow board member... i made a donation to his cafe' racer bike build. you'd have to ask in your area. a no BS'ing cut & reweld would be less than 2 hrs.

tim
Old 10-04-2009, 08:53 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jay956
so is this the rear equivalent to a fork brace?
if it adds as stability as a fork brace does i would be a happy camper,
as i think the fork brace is a huge improvement. my expectations
are not that high though.

tim
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I've got a spare swingarm, just need to find a brace donor and someone to do the welding. At this point, I'm just getting a rough guess on what it's going to cost me.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I found a 900rr swingarm resplendent in rainbow glitter paint on ebay for maybe $20. I didn't care because I was polishing it all anyway. Even if you can't weld you can certainly do the cutting yourself, and you can carefully grind a little so it's a nice fit and an easier weld. I had a bunch of stuff welded at the time so I couldn't say what just this alone cost. But I'd imagine a good tig welder could do the work in less than an hour no?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:23 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I found a 900rr swingarm resplendent in rainbow glitter paint on ebay for maybe $20. I didn't care because I was polishing it all anyway. Even if you can't weld you can certainly do the cutting yourself, and you can carefully grind a little so it's a nice fit and an easier weld. I had a bunch of stuff welded at the time so I couldn't say what just this alone cost. But I'd imagine a good tig welder could do the work in less than an hour no?
there are a couple things that take a little time ...

#1) the the rear portion of the swingarm on the 900rr where the brace attaches is flat, it's angled on the hawk.

#2) the front portion of the swingarm on the 900rr is flat and the superhawk
is curved.

both create big gaps that need addressed

tim
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Syclone
I've got a spare swingarm, just need to find a brace donor and someone to do the welding. At this point, I'm just getting a rough guess on what it's going to cost me.
If you find a donor swingarm I can get it cut and welded for about $40.Have a friend here in Watertown who did mine,he's good.

Looks good Trinc!!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steve.g
If you find a donor swingarm I can get it cut and welded for about $40.Have a friend here in Watertown who did mine,he's good.

Looks good Trinc!!
$40 is really too cheap, unless you are friends with the welder. If I was really focused on doing the swap it would still take an hour for the brace alone, don't forget the brake stopper has to be swapped too. Most shops charge $50 to $80 an hour. If someone I didn't know came in and wanted this job I would bid it around 2 hrs. So about $90 is about what I would expect most places would charge, if they will even take it on. Liability will scare alot of them off. "Captain" is right too if you cut it yourself and ground it to fit nicely (Less then a 1/16 gap anywhere) it would only take a half hour to weld. Cutting and prep usually take more time then the welding.

Now that I did Tim's I might make my own, they do look kick ***.

Last edited by Little_Horse; 10-05-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
$40 is really too cheap, unless you are friends with the welder. If I was really focused on doing the swap it would still take an hour for the brace alone, don't forget the brake stopper has to be swapped too. Most shops charge $50 to $80 an hour. If someone I didn't know came in and wanted this job I would bid it around 2 hrs. So about $90 is about what I would expect most places would charge, if they will even take it on. Liability will scare alot of them off. "Captain" is right too if you cut it yourself and ground it to fit nicely (Less then a 1/16 gap anywhere) it would only take a half hour to weld. Cutting and prep usually take more time then the welding.

Now that I did Tim's I might make my own, they do look kick ***.
Not to mention the feel... The stiffer swing makes a big difference...
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Just imagine how purty your bike would look if you left that glitter on!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Tweety,
Been checking out your mod and was wondering if this would fit. Its on flea-bay calling it a 2000-01 Rc51 swingarm.
(Sorry for going off subject, but Tweety's PM box is Full)
Thanks
Dave

Old 10-07-2009, 10:27 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by stebbdt
Tweety,
Been checking out your mod and was wondering if this would fit. Its on flea-bay calling it a 2000-01 Rc51 swingarm.
(Sorry for going off subject, but Tweety's PM box is Full)
Thanks
Dave

I've done some work with that arm....

Will it fit... yes... but will take a fair amount of work...

1. you will need to swap bearings or make sleeve to fit the pivot bolt, as the RC one is larger in diameter...
2. You will need to either mod the exhaust or cut the bar that runs between parallel to the pivot bolt as the header hits it.
3. You will need to create a linkage assembly that works, as the RC and VTR have different linkage connections

I have one I've been tinkering with, but have stopped to continue working on another project instead... I never got past the linkage thing.... which is the hardest of the 3 issues to solve unless you have access to a CNC mill or a good TIG welder.

J.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 AM
MotoGP

SlowHAWK is right on the money...

Bearings are easy, sleeve the needle one and replace the others... I have the allballs numbers somewhere... The bar... Just cut it... It really does nothing useful...

As for the linkage... I did it the hard way with welding on the swingarm... BUUUT... I have since done it do a friends VTR and we figured out a way that only involved the tools in my shop... Easy(ish) to do...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

Thanks Slowhawk, I'll start a new thread, (I can feel someone rolling up a newspaper somewhere right now, damn noob thread jacker.)
Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

Damn tweety, ya posted as I was cogitating on how to reply to slowhawk. (arrgh, I know there's a newpaper somewhere with my name on it.)
I wouldn't have any problem with sleeving the bearing with some oilite bushing material, slight interferance fit and drop it in the freezer then pop it in. I saw on yours and Hawkster996 mods that ya's used what looks like a sectioned dogbone, mounted into the existing mounting brackets first and welded in place, then remove the stock tabs and finished welding up, not an issue for me either, I have access to a well equiped shop and anything beyond my skills, I got people for that. So that bar you mentioned can be removed without any issues, shock clearance etc. The big unknown for me is the rocker plates, if I can get the dimensions I can have em cut on our water jet, and you mentioned spacers, which I'm assuming are for centering all of it.
Oh yeah, your in box is full, so it's catch as catch can..

Last edited by stebbdt; 10-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by trinc
there are a couple things that take a little time ...

#1) the the rear portion of the swingarm on the 900rr where the brace attaches is flat, it's angled on the hawk.

#2) the front portion of the swingarm on the 900rr is flat and the superhawk
is curved.

both create big gaps that need addressed

tim
Yeah I meant that you don't really need any special skills to grind the brace down so it's a better fit, just a little time and elbow grease. I ground mine down at the proper angles so it fit snug and thus was less work for the welder.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

Don't worry... It's kind of on topic... It's atleast better than our standard thread drift around here... Then we'd be talking about dog's or politics...

On my swap I did use the stock RC dogbone that was cut and welded to the swingarm... I left the mounts on the arm, made the bit fit snug with the bolt in place and had it spot welded at the ends, then cut of the mounts and finished the weld... http://cgi.ebay.com/HX-Honda-RC51-SP...item20ad3f5416

But, as both me and Hawkter996 have said... Do this at your own peril... I'm alive, but that's no certainity for someone else...

If you give me a few days to go dig through my stuff I'm 99.99% sure I still have the paper templates for the plates (about 10 different verisons!) I can scan them and mail them...

Yes I did swap in some of the spacers from the stock arm to center things up...

Last edited by Tweety; 10-07-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

Cool beans, Trinc's mod is well done and I did consider going this route, till I read your mods post to the end and found this s-arm for a good price.
I did start a new thread so as not to be a pita with this. Just seemed the proper thing is all.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
SuperBike

the posts are swingarm related...

thus anybody looking at this will see that there are other options.

it's all good !

tim