Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Modded airbox pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
not yet, hope to do it soon, will report the results
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM
MotoGP

modded filter pics below.....

Name:  P1140269_zps367a56f2.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  155.4 KB
Name:  P1140271_zps617080f5.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  118.0 KB
Name:  P1140273_zps8be0bf7c.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  91.6 KB

As I had the camera out and lid removed, snapped a few of it as well (can see the opened up snorkel and two 1" holes, one per side).....

Name:  P1140275_zpsc4722748.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  P1140276_zps74d3b40c.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  84.5 KB

I just fired it up in the garage and let it run for 10 seconds... no stumbles or anything, will take it for a ride tomorrow.....
Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

and now, the second generation modded airbox (cleaner, less cluttered)....

Name:  P1140277_zps8c79419f.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  137.6 KB
Name:  P1140278_zps7904d76c.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  122.1 KB
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
Sweet...are you going to offer the service if all is good?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM
MotoGP

No, just advice and moral support... I would rather ride than pump out filters for the masses.... though perhaps in the winter (if I am not out snowmobiling of course)......
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
No, just advice and moral support... I would rather ride than pump out filters for the masses.... though perhaps in the winter (if I am not out snowmobiling of course)......
thats my next purchase... damn long winters... ocmd hits my pocket book really hard...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 AM
MotoGP

in fitting the (first) modded filter, I added a 6mm shim above the filter (to lift lid). Despite this, the raised filter was touching the lid at the back (preventing the box from closing). So, I beveled the back end (the silicone-ish red substance which holds everything together) with an exacto knife and got it to fit. However, giving the matter some thought, I decided to take it out and drop the filter slightly (6mm, height of shim). In taking it apart, I noted that the black RTV silicone I used to seal everything up did a great job of holding the filter to the base, so I saw an opportunity to get ride of the tabs I had used to "weld" the filter to the OEM base (can't see how they would NOT have created turbulence). So, in total, I dropped the filter about 9mm and beveled the edges all around. I will be keeping the spacer above the filter as fit at the back will still be a bit tight, so the extra 6mm will help there.

While I had everything out, I made some quick calculations and found that the "hybrid" filter, in addition to creating more open "headspace" above the stacks, also creates just over half a liter of volume in the post-filter area (making it readily accessible to the engine as it begins draws air on the intake stroke). The shim above essentially gives the volume back (my calculation indicate both work out right at 540cc.... ironic). So, without further ado, here is 2nd gen filter (FWIW, we can move from one prototype to the next phase quite quickly as we're a small organization, lol)

cheers

Name:  P1140280_zpse817aacf.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  114.4 KB
Old 06-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Cool! I was curious about how much extra volume was created by doing this. Thanks for figuring it out.

So, it's noon (central time), did ya take 'er for a spin yet?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
He's on Canada time, so the sun's been up for probably 20 hours now.... definitely time for a ride...
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

I am in Canada, but not in the Yukon, lol

So, just got in from a 140 km ride and here are my preliminry results/impressions:
- bike pulls noticeably stronger in the very low end (below 3 k rpm)
- lower midrange seems at least as good as before
- bike seems to requires less (almost none) throttle to maintain 100 km/hr

It's a long weekend here and the roads were littered with cops so high-speed testing was very conservative.

Now, as everyone knows, the seat-of-the-pants is not a very reliable dyno; however, there were no negatives to the swap.

I filled up upon returning and fuel mileage seemed to be about 3% better than usual (granted, very small sample size). However, I did do a lot of full-throttle roll-on testing, whihc is hardly the recipe for fuel economy..... I did not (have to) change anything at all in so far as jetting is concerned, it rain spot-on (granted, it was already set up for a BMC street filter and ran very, very well with it).

so, it stays in adn I will continue riding it like this for a while. The next test will involve replacing the lower airbox unit with the enlarged unit (whihc will also seem the valve cover vents/hoses being run outside the box and dumpng into an external reservoir).....
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Cool! I was curious about how much extra volume was created by doing this. Thanks for figuring it out.
The best part is that the extra volume is located directly above the velocity stacks (ie. the best possible location)

Last edited by mikstr; 06-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
MotoGP

Installed my modded box this morning..... routed the valve cover vent lines to the Krankvent behind the box, with the outlet line feeding a holding tank located under the seat (with small cone filter on the end). Took it for a short ride and it feels rich on the bottom, will try turning in the fuel screws in 1/8 turn and see how that goes.... hard to draw any inferences, however, as it's a super-muggy/humid day.......
Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

so, turned the fuel screws in 1/8 turn, it was still running a bit rich, gave them another 1/8 turn. It is defintely better now and pulls very well, though still a bit "burbly" below 2.5K..... will ride it like for a day and may try to turn the screws in yet again....

no regrets so far

P.S. FWIW, a rough calculation shows that the airbox volume is now at or slight above the 10.3 L that the Aprilia RSV got to in its last update......

Last edited by mikstr; 06-24-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
in fitting the (first) modded filter, I added a 6mm shim above the filter (to lift lid). Despite this, the raised filter was touching the lid at the back (preventing the box from closing). So, I beveled the back end (the silicone-ish red substance which holds everything together) with an exacto knife and got it to fit. However, giving the matter some thought, I decided to take it out and drop the filter slightly (6mm, height of shim). In taking it apart, I noted that the black RTV silicone I used to seal everything up did a great job of holding the filter to the base, so I saw an opportunity to get ride of the tabs I had used to "weld" the filter to the OEM base (can't see how they would NOT have created turbulence). So, in total, I dropped the filter about 9mm and beveled the edges all around. I will be keeping the spacer above the filter as fit at the back will still be a bit tight, so the extra 6mm will help there.

While I had everything out, I made some quick calculations and found that the "hybrid" filter, in addition to creating more open "headspace" above the stacks, also creates just over half a liter of volume in the post-filter area (making it readily accessible to the engine as it begins draws air on the intake stroke). The shim above essentially gives the volume back (my calculation indicate both work out right at 540cc.... ironic). So, without further ado, here is 2nd gen filter (FWIW, we can move from one prototype to the next phase quite quickly as we're a small organization, lol)

cheers

Looks clean! That seems like a lot of work glad its paying off
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
MotoGP

Thanks, it's really not that bad. Gave the fuel screws another tweak last night so will be able to report back later (assuming the skies don't open up)...
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

had some time and cooperative weather this evening, so I did some riding, and calibrating. After trying out the bike with the extra 1/8 turn I leaned out the fuel screws last evening (but never tested), I came home and turned them in another 1/8 turn, then after a quick ride, yet another. The bottom end is now about 70% cleaner and, once over 2.5K rpm, it pulls very cleanly with no surging or hesitation at any rpm. It seems to pull quite strongly too, though I know all about the accuracy of the *** dyno..... I will ride it like this for a while and see how things go.....will monitor my fuel consumption too to see how it gets impacted further to the significant leaning of the pilot circuit.....
Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 PM
MotoGP

Nailed it!

Tried another variation on the filter..... lol

Removed the filter medium, cut down the base at the "step" (removed @ 7mm), and re-glued the element. End result is that the filter is now even with the cast pocket underneath. I then put the spacer under the filter (to raise the filter back up relative to the stacks, is now esentially right back to where it was last time, but have increased the post-filter volume via the spacer). Essentially, doing this allowed me to maximize post-filter volume, while also removing all steps and possible source of turbulence underneath. Can't really see what else to do to gain any additional improvement (logically speaking anyhow, given my limited knowledge of airflow).

Took it for a ride and am (very) happy to say, I think we have a winner gents!!!!! Runs better than it has ever has. Very clean (and urgent) pull at all engine speeds. Me happy!!!!!!!

My work here is done......

Now what else can I mod........ muahahahahahahah
Old 06-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
What was the weather like today compared with your testing on the 26th?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

today was cooler but also humid (rained intermittenly). That surely helped the way the bike ran today.......well, it is getting warmer so I'll know how it likes warmer soon.....
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
MotoGP

Update....

I have been playing with the fuel screws for a bit, since installing the modded filter, making it leaner in small incremental steps and have now got it spot on. Throttle response is amazing everywhere, it pulls like a freight train, and I just got back from ride (riding my normal street pace, average speed 100-120 km/h with a lot of roll-ons and a few quick runs through gears) and got 200 km before the RLOD came on...

Mission accomplished, am very, very satisfied with results

BTW, Markus (aka Tweety) tried the same mods (airbox and filter) and dynoed his bike, noted some excellent results, he posted them here: www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Airbox modding

so, to the naysayers, sorry for your luck..... lol

cheers
Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I would like to see pics of where routed lines off head covers.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Squid

NightHawk1911 is on a distinguished road
Seems like a lot of work to get a couple of numbers out of your hawk. Have you ever ran her at the drag strip or on a dyno for numbers comparison? Just curious....
Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
To dredge an old thread I have had a random idea. May have been tried before and failed. But on the idea to increase volume how about removing the airfilter completely and using foam motocross bike style to cover the inlet from the snorkel and extra side holes like Mikstr has. This would create a huge volume.

Or would this create to much turbulence?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Squid

AMP1 is on a distinguished road
Or,
Why dont you just create a nice large hole and add another filter at that point from the inside of the box.