Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Question any ideas?

New to the sight and to my superhawk. When I bought it about two months ago It came with aftermarket, TBR exhaust and no passenger footpegs whats the best way to re-integrate them ? I figure you might as well be able to use the back seat while its there.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Jardine, LeoVince, Mig, and Devil (there may be others...) sell their high mount systems with longer bolts and spacers that go between the pegs and the hangers that allow you to mount the passenger pegs. They space the pegs out a few inches while the hanger stays where it is flush against the subframe so the pegs will clear the muffers. They should probably work for you too. My guess is your easiest bet would be to contact Jardine (jardineproducts.com) since they are made here (I'm pretty sure all the others I mentioned are imported so they may take longer/cost more) and last time I checked they sell individual parts unlike some companies. But if not look up the other companies as well. If you can't get them anywhere let me know I have a set from LeoVince I can dig up and measure for you-I'm sure it's not too difficult to piece together something of your own.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

thanks for the info, will look at jardine , would you suggest aftermarket pegs also or should i try to find a pair of stock?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Oh sorry of course you'll also need to buy a pair of stock footpegs if they didn't come with the bike and ebay is your friend there if no one on here has them. Pegs off other bikes may fit as well but someone else who knows would have to help me out there as I have not used anything else...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

thanks alot for the help man.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Anytime, welcome aboard. Yeah I don't see any pass pegs on ebay right now but keep an eye out they show up from time to time. Also throw a wanted post up on here and there's a good chance you'll be able to grab a pair.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
I have a set of passenger pegs that I will be posting on eBay shortly after Christmas. I also have a set of Titanium high mount Leo's that will be going up as well, so I will measure the bolts & spacers for you.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZseaton03QQhtZ-1
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Back Marker

Thumbs up

I would appreciate that thanks.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Back Marker

OK.... Here is the deal with the Leo High Mounts and the passenger pegs.

Leo supplies a 98MM bolt (end to end including the head - 90MM usable), 5MM spacer, 50MM spacer and the bracket is 5MM thick.

So what you get when you put it all together is ~15MM of usable thread on end of the bolt.

I had mine mounted in the following order, Peg - 5MM Spacer - Mounting Bracket - 50MM Spacer.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Back Marker

Question

mine are two brothers racing, so would that still workjust use the leo vince hangers?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

It depends on how the hanger is shaped and how it mounts currently. If I remember the TBR mounts, they are curved out to meet the exhaust. The Leo mounts are straight. I am not sure if you can retain the pegs with the TBR mounts. If not you would need to fabricate some new mounts to use with the passenger pegs.

I am in the process of making some Carbon Fiber parts for my bike, sprocket guard, heel guards, etc. Let me look and see how complex it would be for me to make a CF mount based on the Leos. The biggest problem with that is going to be if the TBRs ride as high as the Leos did, I dont know that... maybe if you can post a pic of the exhaust it would give me a better idea.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Back Marker

THat would be great there are some pics already in the gallery. let me know if they are good or if you need a closer look. and the tbr hangers are straight and v-shaped.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Back Marker

I took a look at the pics you have posted. The mounts are different and the mounting points are different as well. Here is a pic of the Leos. They are mounted much higher and possibly much closer together than the TBRs. This pic is without the passenger pegs. I just bought smaller bolts.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Back Marker

yeah , much higher ,so ur stock pegs fit on there? maybe longer screws and stock hangers will work Ill have to play around with it or get different hangers. thanks much for all the info and gettin my wheels turnin Ill have to figure somethin out .
Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Back Marker

Yep. The mounts are basically flat pieces of Aluminum with reliefs cut into them. With the TBRs going out and down, you might be able to get away with using the TBR mounts and simply changing the order of the spacers;

ie Pegs - Large Spacer - TBR Mount.

I think that you would just need to be far enough out for the slope of the passenger peg to clear the outward angle of the TBR mount.

Once you have a set of pegs in hand, head down to the hardware store or Home Cheapo and pick up some aluminum 1/8 wall tubing that fits the diameter of the mounting bolts, some longer bolts and mess around with different lengths until you find what fits.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Seaton, why are you selling the hi mounts?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Back Marker

I have a contact who is making me a complete custom exhaust. I am totally revamping my bike this winter. I got most of the parts already, just waiting on a few more so I can begin mock up.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Back Marker

good call seaton one step at a time . thanks again. not sellin the high mounts love this exhaust sounds primo, although THey need repacking, but im just tryin to get some passenger pegs on .
Old 12-22-2006, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

Just my curiousity but are you building your new headers with the crossover like the stockers or are you coming straight back to each can?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Back Marker

There will be no cross over persay.... Take a look at the pic and you will see what I mean... This is the basis for how my exhaust should look... I plan on having the outlets on different sides and almost flush.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Squid

SuperLoud
Talking

Originally Posted by seaton001
There will be no cross over persay.... Take a look at the pic and you will see what I mean... This is the basis for how my exhaust should look... I plan on having the outlets on different sides and almost flush.
NICE!

I can't wait to see it on the bike. I have been thinking about something like that for my bike but don't have any welding or fab skills.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

OK, that looks really interesting. Now another question: It appears that the collection can could and will act like a muffler. Are you going to hang cans after this assembly or come straight back with pipes only. Pipes only would be really rad but also maybe too loud. Just a thought! What about lower clearance. This looks like it going to be very bulky under the bike.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
It does look really cool. Clearance does look like it;d be a issue. I would like to build something like what was on the Honda of America concept bike, it kindof looks llike a chin fairing and it runs as the muffler.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:22 AM
MotoGP

This idea is similar to a system that one of the guys on the Firestorm site built. He built it in this little shack in what looks like his backyard and it was fab! It uses the collector idea like yours but places the collect up under the seat and then has dual exits just under the tail lights. It was some of the most creative work that I have ever seen on a Superhawk. It was made of many pieces of pre-bent pipe that he had welded together. By the look of the welds this guy had done this sort of work before. The pipes were routed around the swing arm and up to the subframe where they went up under the seat to the collector. It was really cool and I tried to find the pictures for another thread and could not. Good luck with your project! Search the exhaust threads - there's some interesting ideas out there. Yours is one of them. Good Luck!