SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Know what this is? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/know-what-14621/)

Springbubba 05-01-2008 11:24 PM

Know what this is?

3 Attachment(s)
Nice to meet you all. I am very happy to be a new SuperHawk rider. Been riding cruisers for 15 years, and had to give it a shot.

I just bought this 1999 VTR. 6700 miles. $3200. Its in perfect shape. Mostly stock, except this 2 into 1......

Attachment 2595

Attachment 2596

Attachment 2597

All i know for sure is it runs great, and is very loud! I like that people can hear me coming. :evillaugh: I am a little worried about cops. I use it to commute 15 miles each way. Sorry about how dirty it is. Got in some rain.

I was just curious if any of you had seen this before, and if you recommend I change it out.

Thanks for looking!

Death Cattle 05-01-2008 11:31 PM

i dont know what it is, but it looks pretty cool. you got a good deal on your bike, nice find. in my opinion, if it sounds great and runs great, then theres no point in changing anything. if i were you, id keep it. if its really obnoxiously loud, then you could consider getting some exhaust with baffles or something like that. but if you dont mind the noise, you might as well keep it.

Death Cattle 05-01-2008 11:32 PM

that or ill trade you for my stock exhaust if you want. i wouldnt have a problem with that. ;)

Springbubba 05-01-2008 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Death Cattle (Post 162424)
that or ill trade you for my stock exhaust if you want. i wouldnt have a problem with that. ;)

The guy gave me the stock cans he took off. I kind of like the high mount look. Need money to start modding......

Death Cattle 05-01-2008 11:38 PM

ya, ive been looking into high mounts myself. im really starting to lean towards the jardine high mounts. im just going to wait until i find a really good deal on something and just get whatever i can find.

Death Cattle 05-01-2008 11:39 PM

let me know if you ever want to get rid of what you've got on there also

Springbubba 05-01-2008 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Death Cattle (Post 162429)

Might be awhile but I will keep you in mind. Nighty night.

Death Cattle 05-01-2008 11:45 PM

awesome. thanks. talk to you later

krcrawford29 05-01-2008 11:55 PM

San Diego riders to meet this weekend? May 3 or 4

Anyone in the San Diego CA area want to ride this weekend?

krcrawford29 05-01-2008 11:57 PM

Sorry, trying to make a new post, guess I don't know how.

Death Cattle 05-02-2008 12:01 AM

go to the main page. click "forum" on the left, choose your category, click on new thread, type, post.

lhoward1134 05-02-2008 02:55 AM

That looks like the stock GSXR exhaust.

http://www.2wheeltravel.com/Motorcyc...R_600_2006.jpg

Spaz' 05-02-2008 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by lhoward1134 (Post 162447)
That looks like the stock GSXR exhaust.

http://www.2wheeltravel.com/Motorcyc...R_600_2006.jpg

Yea, that's something I would have guessed as well. That or one of the other recent inline four race bikes out there. It really looks like a stock muffler off one of them, and with your pipes setup like that, your bound to be pulled over - period. I own the race version of the Jardine high mounts, as it came that way when I purchased my VTR. But as of today (Friday) UPS is going to be at my door with some dB reduction inserts for me to play with, and I'll post my findings in another thread that is going.

mikstr 05-02-2008 07:00 AM

Yep, my thoughts too, comes from a 2006-2007 GSX-R 600 or 750.

MotorToad 05-02-2008 07:03 AM

High mounts look nice but aren't all that great in use. The bend in the pipes gets in the way of your heels on the pegs, and the pipes are in the way of bags if you want to take a trip.

If you're concerned about noise (I am, I hate attracting the attention of the police), Jardine makes a stock mount with "street" baffles and Leo Vince makes a high-mount that has optional silencers so you can run it loud when you want and muffle it a bit for the street. I have the Leo Vince pipes, and I'm slightly sad I didn't get the Jardines because I don't like the high-mounts. Other than the inconvenience, the Leos are very nice.

Oh yeah, about that GSX-R pipe... the actual muffler on those is under the bike, the bit that's on your bike doesn't do much of anything.

Springbubba 05-02-2008 08:37 AM

WOW! I never would have guessed that. No wonder it seems so loud....... I can't imagine what the guy I bought it from was thinking.

I guess Ill start reading all of the information about exhaust on this wonderful site, so I can make an informed decision on fixing it.

Thanks for the ID on that thing.

lhoward1134 05-02-2008 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by MotorToad (Post 162468)
High mounts look nice but aren't all that great in use. The bend in the pipes gets in the way of your heels on the pegs, and the pipes are in the way of bags if you want to take a trip.

If you're concerned about noise (I am, I hate attracting the attention of the police), Jardine makes a stock mount with "street" baffles and Leo Vince makes a high-mount that has optional silencers so you can run it loud when you want and muffle it a bit for the street. I have the Leo Vince pipes, and I'm slightly sad I didn't get the Jardines because I don't like the high-mounts. Other than the inconvenience, the Leos are very nice.

Oh yeah, about that GSX-R pipe... the actual muffler on those is under the bike, the bit that's on your bike doesn't do much of anything.

You can also get the Two Bros exhaust with silencers now. You should be able to get either low or high mount. I don't have them, so I'm not sure how much they quiet things down. I believe it's the M series pipes, but don't quote me on that.

MotorToad 05-04-2008 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by lhoward1134 (Post 162630)
You can also get the Two Bros exhaust with silencers now. You should be able to get either low or high mount. I don't have them, so I'm not sure how much they quiet things down. I believe it's the M series pipes, but don't quote me on that.

I hope that's something they just came out with. Until recently I worked for an online retailer and when I got the 'Hawk I called Two-Bros themselves, not just their distributor, and asked them what I could do about the pipe being so mind-bendingly loud and if they had something that might muffle it better and they didn't mention anything but a re-packing kit for the pipes I had. Seeing as how that would probably be a two-month solution I opted for new pipes.

Originally Posted by Springbubba (Post 162488)
WOW! I never would have guessed that. No wonder it seems so loud....... I can't imagine what the guy I bought it from was thinking.

That's the case a *LOT* of the time... When at said internet retailer I fielded several people a week wanting to know which pipe was loudest. I'd try to subtly ask why they'd want the loudest pipe when all it'd do is make people hate them, give motorcyclists a bad name in general, and call the attention of the police whenever they even threatened to use the throttle, but they really seemed convinced that loud bikes are cooler.

I guess it takes all kinds, but I wish there were fewer of the kind that thought annoying people was fun. :rolleyes:

lhoward1134 05-06-2008 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by MotorToad (Post 162809)
I hope that's something they just came out with. Until recently I worked for an online retailer and when I got the 'Hawk I called Two-Bros themselves, not just their distributor, and asked them what I could do about the pipe being so mind-bendingly loud and if they had something that might muffle it better and they didn't mention anything but a re-packing kit for the pipes I had. Seeing as how that would probably be a two-month solution I opted for new pipes. That's the case a *LOT* of the time... When at said internet retailer I fielded several people a week wanting to know which pipe was loudest. I'd try to subtly ask why they'd want the loudest pipe when all it'd do is make people hate them, give motorcyclists a bad name in general, and call the attention of the police whenever they even threatened to use the throttle, but they really seemed convinced that loud bikes are cooler.

I guess it takes all kinds, but I wish there were fewer of the kind that thought annoying people was fun. :rolleyes:

Here is the Tip. Don't know how much it actually helps. They've had it a while I think with the new cans. The old cans you can't do anything for.

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...TR1000-SO.html

Verne 05-06-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by lhoward1134 (Post 163177)
Here is the Tip. Don't know how much it actually helps. They've had it a while I think with the new cans. The old cans you can't do anything for.

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...TR1000-SO.html

Why did you have to show me this!!! I was trying to figure who I could get to make adapters for a set of this off a SV to work. Darn it now I need more money.

Verne

Springbubba 06-28-2008 12:31 AM

2 into 1 gsxr tip

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Death Cattle (Post 162429)

Well, I am getting rid of this thing if you still want it. I was going to put it in the Freebie thread, but you asked for it first. If you want to pay the shipping let me know. If not Ill put it in the Freebie thread.

Attachment 2973

Attachment 2974

Pimpsterbim1 06-28-2008 03:11 PM

PM sent..