Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

K&N missing rubber side pieces help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
K&N missing rubber side pieces help please

long story.. but basics.. bike came in a box.. CCT fail.. I rebuilt had these pieces.. but can't find them.. so need to retro fit somthing to make the it work the way it's supposed too..

I read tweeties post but didn't quit follow it
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...roblems-25693/

so here's what I got.. what do I seal, filter, leave wide open?

Thanks for the help.. I'm lost on this one..

Name:  KNNAirFilter_zps5a9b3a4e.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  airbox3_zpseb2fe9c8.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  Airbox2_zps77e87f58.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  46.9 KB
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Small foam filters fit into the carb diaphragm vents in the air box. The part no. is FILTER, SUB A/CLNR - 17254-MBB-000. You must use the small foam filters.
You must not run the bike with the K&N in it without the "missing parts". If you do, unfiltered air will be drawn into the carbs as will the small foam air filters.
Either get the "missing parts", i.e. block offs, from K&N or buy a stock air filter. The block offs are part of the stock air filter.

Last edited by comedo; 04-07-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Back Marker

Wow that's cheap!! ok maybe I can find it / order it local..

but I am still curious, I want to know what the missing parts function is? does it simple allow air from the outside world to enter the diaphram of the carb (through the little filter), but seperating it from the airbox completly. could be acomplished by pulling the tube off the carb and putting a piece of foam to filter the air..
I want to jerry rig it somthing.. but I don't understand the orginal function.. if somone understand the purpose of the "block off" rubber things... the please explain what they are doing.

They look pretty simple in design.. there should be an easy way to recreate the condition using somthing else
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
You might be in luck,I have no plans on ever using k&n filter,and I'm sure I got those block offs,I will have to look,I'm looking for stuff for another member,so I will let you know later tonight.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
ive got to sets somewhere at the back of the garage i think but it would take n=me till winter to find them .
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
"does it simple allow air from the outside world to enter the diaphram of the carb (through the little filter), but seperating it from the airbox completly." Yes, pretty much so. The diaphragm displaces air as the slide moves up and down and that air should be clean.

"could be acomplished by pulling the tube off the carb and putting a piece of foam to filter the air.." Yes, in principle, but you'd have to be sure that the filtering material did not prevent adequate air flow and you'd have to seal the carb diaphragm vents in the air box.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by comedo
"does it simple allow air from the outside world to enter the diaphram of the carb (through the little filter), but seperating it from the airbox completly." Yes, pretty much so. The diaphragm displaces air as the slide moves up and down and that air should be clean.

"could be acomplished by pulling the tube off the carb and putting a piece of foam to filter the air.." Yes, in principle, but you'd have to be sure that the filtering material did not prevent adequate air flow and you'd have to seal the carb diaphragm vents in the air box.
Thanks for the info!