Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Jetting Settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Squid

collectiv
Jetting Settings

Hello all,

I have been doing some researching on here as well as other places. I noticed that people are having issues with the Factory Pro jet kit and using #50 pilot jets. I live in a place where it doesn't really get that hot but rather an average temp. of about 20-25. The climate is very dry in the summer as well.

I am also purchasing a devil SB2 exhaust, factory pro ignition advancer x4, BMC air filter.

Is it true that having larger jets works well in cooler climates? If so, i'm thinking that the #50 pilot jet and 182/185 might work well for me.

Do anyone have any suggestions? I could really use the help.

Eddie
Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
I have exactly what factory recommends, 50 pilots and 182/185 and I love it. More push at the upper end of the rev range. No complaints whatsoever, exc my idle is a little high, around 1400rpm.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Squid

collectiv
Re: Jetting Settings

Would you think that the higher idle may be caused by the pilot jet or the fuel mixture screws needs to be adjusted?

With those settings you have, is the bike running good both cool and also @ warm temperature?

Eddie
Old 02-28-2006, 10:52 AM
SuperSport

Thebike runs great at any temp. I think the idle is a little highbecause of the pilot. But it doesn't bother me at all.I tried adjusting it but it is backed up all the way.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Squid

collectiv

Maybe I should go with those settings as well. Maybe even try #48 pilot jet instead.

I just ordered a pair of devil high mount SB2 exhaust yesterday, I can't wait to hear it. LOL. Going to be pretty loud.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
SuperSport

I think the 48 pilot would work well, but on my bike, I have a full 2bros system and factory told me that the 50 would work better and that's what one of the tuners at factory has on his superhawk.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

I also told them that everybody say that the 48 works better but they told me that most people have a hard time tuning the carbs on the SH and they told me after testing a lot of different setting, they concluded that the 50 worked better than the 48. I trusted them and put the 50 in and I cannot complain.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Squid

collectiv

You think slipon and full would be pretty much the same with regards to jetting?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Squid

collectiv

You would happen to remember how many turns out the fuel mixture screws were do ya?

I believe they recommend 2 - 2 1/2 turns out to start.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
SuperSport

2 1/2 turns out. I don't really know about full vs slipons. I think the 2 bros headers are less restrictive and require different jetting.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Squid

collectiv

I checked out many VTR websites and alot of them agree that the stock headers, etc. on the VTR is designed really well so maybe there isn't much difference. I have no idea either. L.

Have you checked your TPS?

I'm going to check to see when I go to install the jet kit, exhaust. You never know, it might make a big difference.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
SuperSport

TPS was 860 when I checked it. i set it back down to 580 and that was the closest to 500 i could get it. Not too sure about the header design but have you looked inside the stock headers from the back end??? Couldn't find any real difference with the TPS. Remind you I did all the changes at once and it was hard to tell which mod did what but my bike runs like a naked ape now and pulls harder at higher rpms. I hit 175 mph on my speedo. Before the changes, it would barely go past 150 mph.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Yes, and be sure to put the new cover sheets on all the TPS reports. Did you get that memo?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Squid

collectiv

Wow, are serious, 175 MPH. Wow, thats a big difference.

I love my bike. Even though its winter here, I go out into the garage and look @ her every day. I even talk to her like she's my baby. LOL.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:30 PM
SuperSport

175 mph indicated, factor in speedo error and who knows what the actual speed was. I know that seemed a little too much but that's what i seen. Needle was very close to 180 mph.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Squid

collectiv

According to the TPS walkthrough in this Forum, if you are unable to adjust it to 500 -/+ 10, you have to take it off and bend the clips i think.

Do you think this is too much work? Is it worth it?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:03 PM
SuperSport

If you got the time, it think it would be worth it but I was happy with mine to be close. I didn't wanna break it because they are not cheap.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:27 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot
If you got the time, it think it would be worth it but I was happy with mine to be close. I didn't wanna break it because they are not cheap.
ditto
Old 02-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Squid

collectiv

How brittle are they? I haven't even looked @ it yet. Can it be something that can be adjusted easily?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Some people say leave well enough alone with the TPS and have even had the bike run worse after doing this mod. Also the clips are brittle.

I run 48 185/190 and am happy

Slip ons, K&N
Old 03-04-2006, 01:30 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

G'day AZZKIKER.

Just a thought here, if you have run out of idle adjustment, it may be because it is a bit lean in the mixture screw. This will cause a higher idle. Richen it up a bit and this may solve your problem, and give you a bit more power as well.

Collectiv, you are correct in your assumption in regards to air temp. Cooler air will be denser, and therefore carry more oxygen which will in turn atomise more fuel. So you can run larger jets and get more power than places with higher temps. Like Australia!

The TPS can be adjusted by taking off the unit and then removing the steel bushes the screws go through. You then elongate the holes in the plastic and put the bushes back in. This means the holes are larger than th bushes. but they slide along nicely allowing more adjustment without breaking the tabs on the unit. I didn't want to break mine either!

Loco, what do you mean? I don't follow you.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:37 AM
SuperSport

Thanx Shayne. Do I take the mix screw out or in to make it richer?I have it at 2 1/2 turns out right now. What should it be on?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:38 AM
SuperSport

ALso how could it be running lean on idle when the pilots are bigger than stock? I am running 50 pilots.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:48 PM
SuperSport

Hmmm......

I think that winding it out makes it richer, and in is leaner. I am pretty sure this is right. So with 50 pilots and 2.5 turns out you have increased the fuel a fair bit.

First thing is to make sure your throttle cables are adjusted properly and are not binding in any way. The cables could be holding the carbs open, and making the throttle screw useless. This may fix your problem. Assuming this is all ok let's move on.

There is plenty of crap written on the internet, and the last thing we need is to write more of it, so keep in mind I am trying to give you a few ideas to think about. None of this is guaranteed to be answer to the problem, you just have to experiment carfully.

I have re-read your posts and see you have a full exhaust system. No wonder you need 50 pilots. It is true that it has been said that the standard VTR exhaust is pretty good, but not by me! I think it is a non-performance item for sure, not a good design. I have pulled mine apart and measured up a few things, and I think it is poor. So your system will be far superior in my opinion. The standard exhaust primaries are smaller than the exhaust ports! AAaaarrrgghhhh! And the collector is worse!

Anyway, I know a VTR owner here in Aust with a full exhaust and 50 pilots, and our temps are fairly high. Even in the winter our temp is about 20 celcius (70 fahrenheit) so we can't run as rich as you may be able to in a cooler climate.

An old guide to mixture screws is that they should be somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 turns out. Any more or less than this indicates that you should be running the next jet size. I am not positive that this applies to the VTR, however not many people are running theirs more than 2.5 turns out. I would be inclined to try this anyway, and if it improves things, it may be you need a larger size pilot again. It would seem pretty big though wouldn't it?

Maybe dyno tuning is the answer here. CV type carbs need the mains and needles to be set right before the pilots and mixture screws can be adjusted, as the mains will effect the whole range. Factory Pro have a good reputation for after sales service from what I read, so I would run this past them and see what they have to say.

I do know one thing for sure though. I have been playing around with engines in the back shed for 20 years now (started out young!) and lean engines will idle high. If your throttle cables are set right, I would be looking at the jetting.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:52 PM
SuperSport

When I say higher idle, that means, 200 rpms more, it ideles between 1300-1500 rpms but not always. Carburation throughout the whole rpm range is perfect, no hesitation, no surging. I talked to Factory pro when I was installing the kit and I described to them that I have a full exhaust, a BMC race air filter and the guy I talked to had a VTR himself and knows it by heart. He told me he tried all the settings and did a lot of experimentation and he said, the 50 pilot with 182/185, 4 clip, 2.5 turns out is the best setting for my bike and it was.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:53 PM
SuperSport

I might need to adjust the cables, that's a good idea. Thanx for all the info dude.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:18 AM
SuperSport

No worries mate.

It might be simply the cables not set right. Something is making the idle adjuster ineffective, so this may be it if the carbs are perfect.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Squid

SuperLoud

Originally Posted by collectiv";p=&quot
Wow, are serious, 175 MPH. Wow, thats a big difference.

I love my bike. Even though its winter here, I go out into the garage and look @ her every day. I even talk to her like she's my baby. LOL.
Hey are you still interested in the ignition advancer I have?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewt...?p=17584#17584

PM me or email me "shane_hawthorne at hot mail . com"
Oh and set your account up with a pm while your at it.

Thanks
shane