SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Ignition Advancer for 99 VTR (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/ignition-advancer-99-vtr-32506/)

sponger 09-07-2014 03:00 AM

Ignition Advancer for 99 VTR

Hi everyone, I'm after an Ignition Advancer for my bike. I have uploaded a picture of the one fitted to my bike, which I believe is the oem one and wanted to check it is... Could someone confirm my one is the factory one? Also, does anyone have spare 4 degree one they would like to sell ?

sponger 09-07-2014 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the photo should show now, must have been too big first time....

lloydievtr 09-07-2014 06:24 PM

Yours is a standard one

CruxGNZ 09-07-2014 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer
Notice the number 4 at about 7 o'clock, and also the zinc (gold) plating.
One more thing, since they are discontinued, good luck finding one.

Attachment 22484

sponger 09-07-2014 07:27 PM

Thought I was going to have some trouble finding one. Looks like a few websites still list them in stock though... Was hoping someone on the forum might have one kicking around, else she will be going back together with the standard one in place.

E.Marquez 09-07-2014 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sponger (Post 377935)
Thought I was going to have some trouble finding one. Looks like a few websites still list them in stock though... Was hoping someone on the forum might have one kicking around, else she will be going back together with the standard one in place.

Let us know how it works out when you order..
Yes it is still listed in a lot of online sites.... but as the aprt is no longer produced, long since gone from shelves and warehouses.. unless a shop has one coated in dust as New Old Stock...your not getting a new one...

I wish it weren't so... but it
is.

captainchaos 09-07-2014 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 377937)
unless a shop has one coated in dust as New Old Stock...your not getting a new one..

Notice the thick layer of dust where my fingers didn't touch on the package in my picture ;)

captainchaos 09-07-2014 08:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wondering what you guys make of this... One is obviously a new in the package +4 from Factory (doesn't have the "4" stamped on it by the way). The other is a used one I took off a bike I'm parting out & it has the "4" stamped on it. Does it matter that when I line up the teeth on the inside the outside teeth aren't in the same location? They're both "+4" I figured they'd be identical.

By the way Sponger not trying to jack your post I'll sell you the used one once I can confirm what they both are.

sponger 09-07-2014 10:40 PM

Hi captainchaos, it is a little strange that they don't line up. I've ordered one from a site that claims to have them, will be interesting to see what happens.

NZSpokes 09-08-2014 02:48 AM

They are available here I believe. Old stock.

Do they help at all? More power?

E.Marquez 09-08-2014 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 377946)

Do you know of a shop or retailer that has one?

I ask because I tried many source I could find still listing it online, and all came back with not available.

I tried FP no old stock and declined to do another production run.

But if you know of a source, please post up

Thanks

sponger 09-09-2014 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 377946)

Are they available NOS in New Zealand? I ordered mine from starcycle.com..... Still no shipping confirmation though.

kenmoore 09-09-2014 02:50 AM

Be aware that if you fit this advancer like I have your engine will sound different.

This is due to where the mixture is igniting due to the change in ignition advance.

I found out the hard way as this mod was done in conjunction with many others .

The change in sound was alarming, so I reinstalled the original which is different to the 4 degree and the engine sound returned to "normal"

Put the 4 degree back in and sound there again.

I am used to it now and have experienced no problems over the last 18 months.

Others on different forums have reported the same.

One thing for sure is that it livens the bike up very noticeably.

If I remember correctly mine is a factory pro one and my bike is an 05 model that is supposed to have a different advancer to earlier models but when you compare the standard advancer to the 4 degree the splines are different.

This has been debated many times, all I know is that the bike is stronger with the 4 degree in place.

jerryh 09-09-2014 04:42 AM

Does it ping or knock? Have to run premium I suppose.

sponger 09-09-2014 01:08 PM

Reply from starcycle.com

Hello,
Unfortunately we found that this particular rotor is out of stock and
has been discontinued. *We can get a RTR-HON-77-02 which is a 2 degree
rotor for the same application which would take about 4-5 business days
to get once you confirm if you would take the substitution or we can
issue a full refund. *We are sorry for the inconveinance and look
forward to hearing back from you on how to proceed with this order.
Thanks,
Chris

Guess I won't be getting this one...

VTR1000F 09-09-2014 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 377940)
Wondering what you guys make of this... One is obviously a new in the package +4 from Factory (doesn't have the "4" stamped on it by the way). The other is a used one I took off a bike I'm parting out & it has the "4" stamped on it. Does it matter that when I line up the teeth on the inside the outside teeth aren't in the same location? They're both "+4" I figured they'd be identical.

By the way Sponger not trying to jack your post I'll sell you the used one once I can confirm what they both are.

Captain, if sponger isn't interested in the used one, I am if it turns out to be a plus 4.

kenmoore 09-09-2014 01:49 PM

Jerryh,

We have 3 grades of fuel here in Oz,

91 with Ethanol which I never use in bikes, 95 premium and 98 premium.

My bike does not ping or suffer from per ignition and I always use 95 in the Storm.

captainchaos 09-09-2014 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 377992)
Captain, if sponger isn't interested in the used one, I am if it turns out to be a plus 4.

Ok I'm just trying to find out what I've got. Probably have to post my question in a separate thread

jerryh 09-10-2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 377993)
Jerryh,

We have 3 grades of fuel here in Oz,

91 with Ethanol which I never use in bikes, 95 premium and 98 premium.

My bike does not ping or suffer from per ignition and I always use 95 in the Storm.

Thanks! Trying to figure out how the engine sound is affected by advancing the timing

kenmoore 09-10-2014 01:40 PM

So am I but others with them report the same, and have no problems.

They do make a difference to how the bike runs.

I read somewhere that later bikes have a different ignition program that advanced the ignition over the earlier ones.

I also ask the question , does that mean I have more than 4 degrees advance by fitting this rotor to my 2005 model.

I have asked this question before but it's never been answered.

thetophatflash 09-10-2014 02:10 PM

The fire points have been moved up 4 degrees from stock no matter which year you have. I have it on my '99 and love it.

kenmoore 09-11-2014 02:58 AM

Did your engine sound different when you fitted it top hat?

CruxGNZ 09-11-2014 05:51 AM

Kenmoore, I have had a +4 degree F.P. ignition advancer sitting on the shelf for a while, but haven't installed it. Was waiting on a new clutch. I'll be installing my new clutch in the next couple days, along with the +4 ignition advancer. I'll let you know if my engine sounds different. I'm expecting it too, since everyone I have talked to that has fitted the +4 ignition advancer has reported the same change in engine noise.

I'm still wondering if you have your ignition advanced 8 degrees now. Would be great to finally put this to rest! If new eyes are curious, click here.

NZSpokes 09-11-2014 11:34 AM

I will see if the guy sell them here has stock and how much. He used to run a dyno business but sold it all off a while back.

How much are/were they over there?

thetophatflash 09-11-2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 378052)
Did your engine sound different when you fitted it top hat?

I don't recall noticing any change in sound, but she pulls a lot smoother from a stop.

Mallebollia 06-28-2023 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 378075)
I don't recall noticing any change in sound, but she pulls a lot smoother from a stop.

Is it possible to get of those RTR-HON-77-04 from anywhere for my VTR???

Maybe from a crashed VTR, a friend or a store with a dark celler and old dusty shelfs in it :D

Anyone?

skokievtr 07-01-2023 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mallebollia (Post 415796)
Is it possible to get of those RTR-HON-77-04 from anywhere for my VTR???

Maybe from a crashed VTR, a friend or a store with a dark celler and old dusty shelfs in it :D

Anyone?

Don't bother unless you play around with carburation and cam's it's really not worth it

Mallebollia 07-01-2023 07:48 AM

I have a carbu/air mod from a popular Guy here, who has been doin that for over 30 years to hundreds of VTRs. More Pwer midrange and consumption goes down from 8.0 (advertised) / 9-10 (real) to 5.5-6 L/100km, which is very good. But ignitionswise its still stock.

skokievtr 07-01-2023 10:21 AM

I'd replace the stock coils with stick coils from a Honda CBR 600 first.

With the gasoline nowadays, I wouldn't go advanced at all. You can degree the cams though. Cause they're always off from the factory.

A lighter Fly wheel from eric marquez also is a nice addition

I know a fair amount about VTRs and have been working on them for 22 years And given they came out here in ninety eight I don't know how he's been working on them for thirty years

Mallebollia 07-01-2023 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 415813)
I'd replace the stock coils with stick coils from a Honda CBR 600 first.

With the gasoline nowadays, I wouldn't go advanced at all. You can degree the cams though. Cause they're always off from the factory.

A lighter Fly wheel from eric marquez also is a nice addition

I know a fair amount about VTRs and have been working on them for 22 years And given they came out here in ninety eight I don't know how he's been working on them for thirty years

Why coils from a 600RR?

What do you mean by degreeing cams exactly?

Why a lighter flywheel?