SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Ignition Advancer for 99 VTR (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/ignition-advancer-99-vtr-32506/)

skokievtr 07-01-2023 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mallebollia (Post 415814)
Why coils from a 600RR?

What do you mean by degreeing cams exactly?

Why a lighter flywheel?

I'll have to get back to you if you want more detail, but do a search on this forum for stick coils. And it'll explain why it basically gives you a more consistent. Hotter spark, easy mod

degreen cams means the orientation of the cams to the valve opening, both for intake and exhaust to specifications or to various specifications

and 3 A lighter flywheel means that you'll spin up rev faster, more quickly at the expense of some low end torque.

xeris 07-01-2023 09:16 PM

Another reason for switching to stick coils is eliminating the 20 something year old high tension leads. After I installed them, I found that the engine idled smother.
Setting the TPS to 500 ohms starts the advance sooner on opening the throttle. Worth doing as the engines run a bit better.

skokievtr 07-01-2023 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 415816)
Another reason for switching to stick coils is eliminating the 20 something year old high tension leads. After I installed them, I found that the engine idled smother.
Setting the TPS to 500 ohms starts the advance sooner on opening the throttle. Worth doing as the engines run a bit better.

Which provides a more consistent, hotter spark.

Calibrating the TPS is as standard maintenance item as changing spark plugs...

Mallebollia 07-02-2023 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 415817)
Which provides a more consistent, hotter spark.

Calibrating the TPS is as standard maintenance item as changing spark plugs...

ok. Nice to know. My engine runs very smooth but It couldnt hurt (have Irridium plugs)

How do I change the TPS to 500Ohns exactly? D I need another TPS or can I hust chabge the resistor?

Which cbr 600 coils exactly?

skokievtr 07-02-2023 03:06 AM

Do a search, your answers are all extensively covered on this site years ago...

Wolverine 07-02-2023 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mallebollia (Post 415818)
ok. Nice to know. My engine runs very smooth but It couldnt hurt (have Irridium plugs)

How do I change the TPS to 500Ohns exactly? D I need another TPS or can I hust chabge the resistor?

Which cbr 600 coils exactly?

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 415819)
Do a search, your answers are all extensively covered on this site years ago...

Agreed. All this information is posted on here, most of it "stuck" to the top of all threads making it easy to find.

Mallebollia 08-09-2023 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 377980)
Be aware that if you fit this advancer like I have your engine will sound different.

I found out the hard way as this mod was done in conjunction with many others .
The change in sound was alarming, so I reinstalled the original which is different to the 4 degree and the engine sound returned to "normal"
I am used to it now and have experienced no problems over the last 18 months. Others on different forums have reported the same.

One thing for sure is that it livens the bike up very noticeably.

If I remember correctly mine is a factory pro one and my bike is an 05 model that is supposed to have a different advancer to earlier models but when you compare the standard advancer to the 4 degree the splines are different.

This has been debated many times, all I know is that the bike is stronger with the 4 degree in place.

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 378033)
So am I but others with them report the same, and have no problems.

They do make a difference to how the bike runs.

I read somewhere that later bikes have a different ignition program that advanced the ignition over the earlier ones.

@kenmoore :

1. What do you mean by "the hard way"?

2. In how far the sound is different?

3. liven up noticably means more pull with the same gas? (This is what advance should do)

4. Where did you read about different advance of later VTRs (Facelift 1 + 2??) I cant find any validated info about that, only speculation.

@all: Can anyone give proof of a VTR with +4 advance rotor installed without piston dmg/knocking in the long run?

I ask, beacause I use an Ignitech CDI with which I can set evry Ignition angle seperatly (derived from TPS and RPM).