Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

I happen to have come upon some money

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Firefly is on a distinguished road
I happen to have come upon some money

And intend to get in way over my mechanical ability level with my desires.

I have:

1x 1998 Superhawk
1x garage
access to all tools and fabrication needs that may arise

I want to:

Full CBR900RR front end swap
SSS rear swap with VTR Ohlins shock
***** out streetfighter:
Chopped saddle
Single 7" or LSL Urban Headlight
Superbike kit with drag bars
New clocks (probably motoscope mini)
One-off exhaust akin to (But minus the mini-mufflers):

I know the new exhaust would require some messing with the carbs, which is why I'm probably going to save it for later, with the jet kit and ignition advance. I would mess around with horsepower output but I'm fine with how it is right now. Not ruling anything out though.

I've done my homework and know this is a massive undertaking, especially for a 19 year old with very little actual mechanical experience on motorcycles (I work on attack helicopters for a living, so hands on tool time or mechanical competence isn't an issue); but I wanna do it. I guess I like the challenge, the outcome is just too incredible to pass up, and something this unique would be something incredible to own. Am I prepared to spend hours getting everything working right?, sure. My guild might not agree, but I can kill arthas every Wednesday and have 6 other days a week free.

I've thought about some things I would want to do which run the range of the possible doable to the probably impossible like:

Jerryrigging DCBS
Making it a big bang V-Twin
Making it fly

Opinions, thoughts, experiences, constructive criticism, flaming, anything you got.

I'll update this as I go along, no hard purchases made yet.

Edit: if a mod could put this in the place they deem it most necessary, that would be much appreciated. I really didn't know where to put it so that it would be most at home, it was between this and technical discussion, and it fit this boards description more.
________
Panic Disorders Forums
Attached Thumbnails I happen to have come upon some money-snc00674.jpg  

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
If you really want to do the front end go all the way and do a 1krr front end and get the good breaks and light wheel.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
If you choose to go ahead with the 900RR front-end route let me know as I have a perfect set of triple clamps (96 lower, 94 upper, with red carbon fibre cover) and a black front fender (from a Triumph Speed Triple, MUCH nicer than the horrendous 900RR item).

cheers
Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by spladle160
If you really want to do the front end go all the way and do a 1krr front end and get the good breaks and light wheel.
It's more fixing the shortcomings of the standard front end, were I making a track bike then of course I'd go 1000rr, but it seems a little overkill for scooting around town and the weekend jaunts into the Rocky's.
________
Opel Astra

Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Firefly
It's more fixing the shortcomings of the standard front end, were I making a track bike then of course I'd go 1000rr, but it seems a little overkill for scooting around town and the weekend jaunts into the Rocky's.
Well, I'm not trying to push you in any one direction, but you should take in to consideration that even to "fix" the stock front end, just a 900RR transplant isn't enough in itself... Once the forks have been beefed up to not flex as much, you will need to drop in springs to suit your weight and valve them accordingly. Since the 900RR isn't the same weight as the VTR, it's not just swap and forget...

You will also need to/want to, swap out the calipers and master cylinder to any choice of CBR parts, to make the feeling of "spongy then followed by a dead stop" feeling of the stock parts go away... And even then som people who have done the 900RR swap are adding larger rotors and spacers to the calipers to increase the feel and stopping power of the brakes (mikstr)...

And when you get to this point, it would probably have been cheaper and easier to go to a 1000RR front end to begin with... The reason mikstr stayed with the 900RR is that he had a nice set of aftermarket wheel that he wanted to keep...

At the time, the 900RR front was "the swap to do", but there has been improvements made... If you are reasonably the right weight, you can swap on a 1000RR front without touching the internals and it will perform the same as the 900RR forks with springs/valves... At pretty much the same money if you add in the brake upgrade in the equation... Then add the internal work to that fork and the 900RR is left in the dust...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
You are right across the board Markus. I want to clarify, however, that the braking system on my bike at the moment (new OS rotors sould be here today or next) is more than up to the task. Truth be told, my decision to go with the EBC OS stuff is more bling and aesthetics than anything (although I am sure it will make a great braking system even better still, or at least it should). What can I say, I love the look of the larger rotors (that and my OCMD pushing me to do it)....

Regardless of the front end used, a re-valve and re-spring is in order as virtually all late generation sportbikes are lighter than the VTR and so need to be firmed up accordingly. In my case, I was able to find new springs and a GV kit for dirt cheap on eBay (and used specs provided by Roger D to get a good set-up).

USDs are indeed superior, otherwise they wouldn`t be on top-notch sportbikes. The 900RR front is up to the job, however (although you are left with that heavy front wheel).

Last edited by mikstr; 05-31-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Actually, unless you weigh over 250# then the 1000RR forks will be good "out of the box" for you. The 1000RR forks will suspend about the same weight on the VTR, given that the front/rear weight bias of the two bikes are opposite each other.

And if you're looking for bling, Galfer wave rotors for both bikes is the same cost. Money not spent on respring/revalving could be spent elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Well, I'm happier I asked about this more and more.

Going with the CBR1000RR forks, from what I've seen poking around, would mean 954 tripples, but what about wheel/caliper/rotor? I haven't seen a definite answer on that. And as far as the rotors, I really don't trust ebay. I was going to get new rotors and pads and install them with the swap.

And that's a good idea with the new master cylinder, I'll definitely look into that.

I was also planning on going with new clutch/front and rear brake lines too, any reason not to do that, or things to look out for?

More information, I'm only 5'7" @ 150lbs.
________
Ball Bearing (Lexus) Specifications

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well the 1000RR wheel matches the VTR rear fairly closely (not exact, but far closer than the 954) so I was happy to make the trade for mine that I did.

You can use the 1000RR triples but they would require you to shave a hair off the inner fairing for clearance, and they have holes in them for the 1000's damper, some consider them ugly for this reason.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

The CBR1000RR wheel, spacers, and rotors mount right up to 1000RR forks and 929/954 triples... So does a 929/954 wheel... You'll need the 1000RR rotors though...

As for the master cylinder... Why not make the 1000RR front complete? You'll likely get a better price if you get a set... include the rotors in that set and it's likely you will get straight one's...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
Well the 1000RR wheel matches the VTR rear fairly closely (not exact, but far closer than the 954) so I was happy to make the trade for mine that I did.

You can use the 1000RR triples but they would require you to shave a hair off the inner fairing for clearance, and they have holes in them for the 1000's damper, some consider them ugly for this reason.
So the only reason I couldn't use the 1000RR top triple is clearance with the fairing?

Originally Posted by Tweety
The CBR1000RR wheel, spacers, and rotors mount right up to 1000RR forks and 929/954 triples... So does a 929/954 wheel... You'll need the 1000RR rotors though...

As for the master cylinder... Why not make the 1000RR front complete? You'll likely get a better price if you get a set... include the rotors in that set and it's likely you will get straight one's...
Good, exactly the information I needed to know.
________
California dispensaries

Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM
MotoGP

So the only reason I couldn't use the 1000RR top triple is clearance with the fairing?
Well you can't mix the 1000 top with the 954 lower or vise versa, but if you use a complete 1000 triple or 954 triple you should be fine. (excepting the fairing rubbing on a 1000 triple, but shaving the fairing would fix that)

The 1000 triples are about 3mm wider than the 954 ones.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
Well you can't mix the 1000 top with the 954 lower or vise versa, but if you use a complete 1000 triple or 954 triple you should be fine. (excepting the fairing rubbing on a 1000 triple, but shaving the fairing would fix that)

The 1000 triples are about 3mm wider than the 954 ones.
There won't be any fairings to rub on, so no worries there.

Anything about radiator hose rubbing or something like that?
________
Yz426F

Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
MotoGP

There won't be any fairings to rub on, so no worries there.

Anything about radiator hose rubbing or something like that?
Yep, with any USD swap at full lock you will have to slightly mod the stops, and they will hit the radiator hose.. You can move the radiators back if that bothers you, I didn't bother since it only matters at parking lot speeds, and I don't see it being an issue.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Squid

flyingeyepro is on a distinguished road
Just buy my bike and you're 75% there.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by flyingeyepro
Just buy my bike and you're 75% there.
Well played.
________
Buy Glass Bong

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
Invest it
Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
With the SSS make sure you get a ride-hieght adjustable shock to jack the back end up to fix the geometry. I am now installing a penske on mine (SSS) at the same time as putting a 1000RR front end. The 954 triples are a bit harder to come by. I think they also create a small brake alignment issue. This is always downplayed but I dont see 3mm variance as being in the acceptable range for calipers. I will take a shaved fairing over off center rotors any day.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, there is a guy on the BARF forum selling a complete set of 1000RR forks for $450. Just a heads up
Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
With the SSS make sure you get a ride-hieght adjustable shock to jack the back end up to fix the geometry. I am now installing a penske on mine (SSS) at the same time as putting a 1000RR front end. The 954 triples are a bit harder to come by. I think they also create a small brake alignment issue. This is always downplayed but I dont see 3mm variance as being in the acceptable range for calipers. I will take a shaved fairing over off center rotors any day.
Actually, it's 1.5mm per caliper/rotor... And since the pads are "floating" in the calipers, they will self center and the only "downside" is that you shouldn't wear the pads completely (Which you shouldn't do anyways soo?)... It's well within acceptable norms to me... But to each their own...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Oh yeah, there is a guy on the BARF forum selling a complete set of 1000RR forks for $450. Just a heads up
DO WANT.

What's BARF?
________
Payment Protection Insurance Forums

Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
DO WANT.

What's BARF?
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/

Don't feel bad, I only knew what he meant because I grew up in the Bay Area long time ago.....
Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/

Don't feel bad, I only knew what he meant because I grew up in the Bay Area long time ago.....
I can't contact him because I'm not a registered member =(

New questions!:

If I end up getting a Superbike kit, would I still need a top triple or would I just need new bearings?

Would it be possible to shorty the CF exhaust I have right now (I ask because new mids to make them standard mounts would be $135 each, and keeping them as they are with the chopped rear wouldn't look very nice. To me.)?
________
FORDSON TRACTOR SPECIFICATIONS

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

Anyone?

New question, what to do with the third eye wires?, as they won't serve a purpose with just a single headlamp. When I left them disconnected they'd blow the fuse on the Tach, Speedo, and other assorted semi necessary things.

Shenanigans mode: wire it into the horn.
________
STARCRAFT REPLAYS

Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well I will say I do have the triples you need Already modified for use in a VTR) listed in the classified.

Also if you need any help with the barf post, just let me know as it's one of the local forums.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Wink

OK hows this... want a donor bike to try it all on FIRST?!?!?!

I will be GLAD to let you test all this out on my stock SH.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well I will say I do have the triples you need Already modified for use in a VTR) listed in the classified.

Also if you need any help with the barf post, just let me know as it's one of the local forums.
I think I'm just gonna go with the front end that guy is selling, just go full CBR1000RR swap. If you could get me in contact with him, that'd be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by AdamK
OK hows this... want a donor bike to try it all on FIRST?!?!?!

I will be GLAD to let you test all this out on my stock SH.
TEMPTING!

Kinda.

=)
________
Vapor Genie Review

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

So while I was on TDY at Ft. Knox, I let my friend ride the bike just so it wouldn't sit idle for 2 1/2 months.

He calls me about a week before I get back saying the bike stopped working and it wouldn't turn over, with no lights coming on or anything. My first thought is open in the system, R/R.

I was right. =(

But the good news is I have an entire CBR1000RR front end, complete with brake master cylinder. And a VFR800 swingarm that's waiting for a wheel. Machine work is already scheduled for the gauges and swingarm parts.
________
Herbalaire Reviews

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
now you're a true member of the club
Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

PROMOTIONS!

Fireblade front end hung, with clip ons and master cylinder, front wiring shortened/ cleaned up, and gauges.

Up for today is new brake fluid, splicing in the new headlight + turn signals, making the drawing for the brake light + turn signals bracket, installing the new seat, and an oil change.

Torquing everything down tomorrow and then waiting for the diode I burned out to get here (seriously why does no one carry a $8.98 part?).

Apologize for the ridiculous quality of the cell phone picture.

Other picture is why it didn't get done this week.
________
Vapolution
Attached Thumbnails I happen to have come upon some money-snc00368-1-.jpg   I happen to have come upon some money-snc00353.jpg  

Last edited by Firefly; 02-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: I happen to have come upon some money