Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Horn upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Squid

joelmikel is on a distinguished road
Horn upgrade

I read through several of the threads about horns but didn't find any where anyone actually did a horn upgrade and had pics/details about the install and results.

Anyone have any stories to share?

The horn fell off my bike so I went to the dealer to buy a new one but they take a week to order and it's $50.
For a weasly little horn I can get much better deals on aftermarket but want to find some instructions and pics and experiences to make it an easier decision. I'm less than mechanically inclined but I figured something as simple as a horn I couldn't mess things up too badly with some good help from ya'll.

Thx.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I tried wiring up a Hella Supertone horn to my F3, but I kept blowing a fuse. IIRC, you need to use a relay (usually included with the horn).
Old 05-04-2007, 10:02 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You might try these folks!

http://www.bikerhiway.com/
Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Fiamms

Originally Posted by joelmikel
I read through several of the threads about horns but didn't find any where anyone actually did a horn upgrade and had pics/details about the install and results.

Anyone have any stories to share?

The horn fell off my bike so I went to the dealer to buy a new one but they take a week to order and it's $50.
For a weasly little horn I can get much better deals on aftermarket but want to find some instructions and pics and experiences to make it an easier decision. I'm less than mechanically inclined but I figured something as simple as a horn I couldn't mess things up too badly with some good help from ya'll.

Thx.
Go to your local autoparts store and pick up a set of Fiamm mini disc high & low tone horns (PN 40310 & 40365) at $26 for the pair; gold anodized and rated at 130 db. Cut two 6" lengths of 18 ga (min) stranded insulated electrical wire; use wire with different colored insulation (i.e., one red and the other green). At mid-length of each wire remove about 1/2" of insulation, fold the exposed wire, insert and crimp it in the male spade connector. Crimp spade-type female connectors to the two ends of each Y'd wire. Plug the males into the OEM females (one is 12V positive the other ground, I don't remember which OEM color wire is which so check with a volt meter or continuity light). The Fiamms are not polarity conscious but plug them in the same to each horn. Get a slightly longer bolt than stock and mount the horns 180 degrees from each other front to rear with the supplied flat brackets, with the front horn up against the bottom of the triple tree (same as stock). A relay is not required but you can use one if desired. Be sure to route, tape and zip-tie the wiring so it does not hangup on the brake line, etc when the front end swings left/right. I've run the stock horn and low-tone Fiamm this way for years without a relay. The Fiamms are certainly loud enough to get a cager's attention.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 AM
Squid

joelmikel is on a distinguished road
Well, I ended up going with one of these: http://www.fiammamerica.com/Product.asp?ProductID=153

Was a pretty easy mount. Just had to bend the bracket down about 50 degrees. Put a little locktite on the nut, hooked up the wires, tested turning lock to lock, everything cleared. Got it for $10 out the door at my local auto parts store.
As opposed to the $50 local honda dealer wanted for a factory stock Hawk horn.

Also, for those of you who don't know. The horn from the current gen CBR100RR is a direct replacement with the Hawk.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Squid

dantropolis is on a distinguished road
Smile

Yeah, grab the Fiamm set if you can fit it. I installed a set with relay on a Moto-Guzzi I had. People hear these things, like an ocean liner or freight train!