Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Hi-Mount Over-Hyped?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Squid

Laynout is on a distinguished road
Hi-Mount Over-Hyped?

After reading lots of info here about exhaust, everyone seems to be saying install Hi-Mount Pipes Jardine, 2 Bros, etc. However, before doing so there seem to be many issues with this approach.
-Do you have to install a rear fender eliminator for Hi-Pipes to fit
-Do you lose your rear footpegs w/hi-pipes
-Lots of heat now located directly under your seat (is it hotter?)
-Will the extra heat melt or distort the plastic painted rear cowl
-Manufacturers today are moving their exhaust down low and smaller and you guys are saying move the mass up high
-NO rejetting needed with pipes only
-YES rejetting needed for pipes
I just want the bike to sound sweet and run normal, is that possible?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
WHEW, lot's of FAQ's rolled into one!

Originally it was for cornering clearance. Swapping 7lbs up high for 25lbs down low is still a good thing (made up those figures but they're close). You can keep pass. pegs but a lot of folks replace or move the turnsignals. No real issues with heat (been around nearly as long as the bike). Most don't require jetting but encouraged it.

In the end, it's for looks. They just look a lot better IMO and lots of other folks' agree too. Very popular mod. ANY good pipe will let the bird sing a very sweet song. Money well spent. I had both high and low and the both sound suh-weeeeet.

Name:  KG9K3084.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  183.0 KB

Name:  NewPaintright.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Laynout
After reading lots of info here about exhaust, everyone seems to be saying install Hi-Mount Pipes Jardine, 2 Bros, etc. However, before doing so there seem to be many issues with this approach.

-Do you have to install a rear fender eliminator for Hi-Pipes to fit
Nope but it would be a cool idea since the stock fender looks like crap anyway. The only issue could be the rear turn lights interfering with the hi-mounts. AFAIK Microns are the only ones that have the problem. My Jardine RT-1 don't.

-Do you lose your rear footpegs w/hi-pipes
Jardine provides spacers to extend the footpegs and clear the pipes. A few other manufacturers have similar solutions. In any case fabricating ur own spacers is not a big hassle.

-Lots of heat now located directly under your seat (is it hotter?)
-Will the extra heat melt or distort the plastic painted rear cowl
I didn't notice any temp change. Maybe my gf did, but her hottness melted my rear cowl anyway some time ago.

-Manufacturers today are moving their exhaust down low and smaller and you guys are saying move the mass up high
A lower CG is preferable. But with low mounts u don't have enough clearance to lean the bike more than 70-80 degrees. Well , if u drive like Edwards, that can be an issue.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
But with low mounts u don't have enough clearance to lean the bike more than 70-80 degrees. Well , if u drive like Edwards, that can be an issue.
we all can ride like that (while sitting at our keyboards )
Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
sassage - nothing to do with this thread but every time I see one of your posts I get a good chuckle out of your avatar....the caption is freakin' hilarious!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Duck007
sassage - nothing to do with this thread but every time I see one of your posts I get a good chuckle out of your avatar....the caption is freakin' hilarious!
That's why I'm here...to inform & to entertain (well, maybe just entertain)
Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah but they LOOK COOL!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Seriously I think you're overreacting a little. The only issue is getting some smaller turn signals with most besides jardines...Most also come with longer bolts and spacers for the passenger pegs (and if they don't you can use a set from one of the manufacturers that does or make your own), and if mounted properly they won't come into contact with the fairing. I have leo's and I cut the under fender a little and bent the hangers in to get them as high and close as possible and if you're careful they still won't touch the fairing. Heat's not an issue either. And no offense to anyone on here but no one on here is a good enough rider that they need to worry about the "mass" of their high pipes slowing them down...if it could possibly do that anyway...oh and I've tried almost every exhaust they make at one point or another including headers and I've never had a jetting issue...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
maybe if we could fab-up a lift-kit and slang on some "35's" we could manage a buell exhaust down under the oil pan
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by captainchaos
...And no offense to anyone on here but no one on here is a good enough rider that they need to worry about the "mass" of their high pipes slowing them down...
Bullshit! I am!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
I got high mounts to help with ground clearance, but unfortunately (with the Leo Vince's) the mid pipes drag at full lean to the left in certain situations. But they certainly look badass! I had to change turn signals to a license plate mounted signal because there is no room for anything else. Passenger pegs are in use, in fact I had to use the passenger pegs with the particular bracket and spacers that were included. No heat issues. My heels do hit the mid pipes and the passenger peg brackets. This is useful to me at the track, but might be a problem if you had big feet or rear sets. All in all, I would not change back because they look way too bitchin'. (and that is the reality of the matter!)
Attached Thumbnails Hi-Mount Over-Hyped?-dscn3179.jpg   Hi-Mount Over-Hyped?-dscn3171.jpg  
Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
One Wheel Wonder
Squid

speedhawk is on a distinguished road
i love my my black low mount d and ds. very loud, but still has a great tone. honestly didnt notice much performance, but i got to keep my back pegs and they run VERY cool. last summer my five year old niece got off the bike and set her hand on the pipe...everyone looked over and freaked out but she was fine.

they were also easy to install.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Back Marker

Derbig Mooser is on a distinguished road
Hi-mounts,lo-mounts, bafflectomys, feh!
What I want to know is: Who makes a single-sided exhaust for the Hawk?

I would love a system with a single can! Does anyone make such a thing?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
... And no offense to anyone on here but no one on here is a good enough rider that they need to worry about the "mass" of their high pipes slowing them down...

Um, yeah? That is why I had to do an undertail with integrated tailight. Everytime I leaned over i was dragging the side of the bike....especially when I lowsided. Now my mufflers never get damaged!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Well the point was we were talking mass centralization-up high with high mounts vs mass down low with low mounts...not ground clearance...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Squid

OKCSuperChicken is on a distinguished road
Sorry to change the subject but which lower fairing is that on the black hawk in the picture above in Superbling's post?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Derbig Mooser
Who makes a single-sided exhaust for the Hawk?
A few peeps with engineering / mechanical skills and a welder, or access to someone who has said stuffs.

There are a few sse hawks out there, but all are custom jobs.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a way to not scrape your low mounts in the corners.........hang off the bike! I've had both didn't notice much difference in handling, burnt my boots though. I think it looks cleaner but I've gone with low mount pipes high mount hangers.
Attached Thumbnails Hi-Mount Over-Hyped?-pc109335-649x487.jpg   Hi-Mount Over-Hyped?-track-days-042-639x480.jpg  

Last edited by superhawk22; 04-10-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Sweet Jumps
Squid

DBRBILL is on a distinguished road
Talking

you should just buy a Buell. It solves the whole problem
Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
I love my Devil highmounts. They look great, I have my passenger pegs, and my turn signals are just relocatted aftermarket ones.

Plus they sound killer even though my camcorder doesn't replicate it too well. very thunderous and mean sounding http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...devil_clip.flv

Better video http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1..._exhaust_2.flv

Last edited by haknslash; 05-16-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
I just upgraded to Micron high mount slip on's, and I gotta say.. i decided on high mounts purely because I thought they looked awesome.. and the Micron's sound AWESOME...

i gotta take some pictures now that the bike is put back together with fairings again...