Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Heli Vs Convertibars

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Heli Vs Convertibars

I know that many pages have been written about superbike bars, helis and such, but before anyone flames me, all I'm looking for is if anyone has experience with both heli and convertibars, what do you like and why? I'm pretty much over the numb right hand thing, and I'm ready to try doing something about it. I'm desperate to get a solution...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I have Heli bars on most of my bikes. They are a definite improvement. However I just installed converti bars on my ST3 duck and thats the way to go. Big improvement but lack the ability to lower for this bike. Some bikes have more range of adjustments. The ST3 one setting. Still way better than Heli's at least 4" in hight and 2" rearward. Makes the bike almost normal riding position for me at 5'8". If not for these I would have sold the bike before long.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:16 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I have had both - and superbike bars!! In fact, if you are really interested, I could sell you the clamps for the convertibars if you go that route (I now have the larger forks from the RC51 and they won't fit) as I think they are pricey. THe biggest advantage of the convertibars are they allow you to fine tune to exactly your perfect position. Why the manufacturers don't design some adjustments into all sport bikes is really a diservice to us all. Anyway, the helis are more upright than stock but still a one size fits all proposition. The convertibars have a very wide range on the SH that works. While they advertise the ability to change from low to high in a jiffy, it really isn't something you'd do on the fly. I used to change them from track days to street riding but takes awhile to get the change done.

let me know if you are interseted
Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Superstock

I might be interested. What do you have? Is it complete for the SH? Let me know.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

I have the clamps - the 'cyclops' part of the system. You would still need to get the bars themselves, which I believe come in 3 different angle configurations. I think the clamps are about 150 new, so maybe half that price I guess for used? You could check the convertibars.com website too
Old 07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Cliby, PM sent. If 102 doesn't take em' that is. If I remember right, didn't you end up making your own system of some kind? I seem to recall something about a PVC prototype...
Old 07-19-2007, 04:32 PM
SuperBike

OK, I think blue VTR has dibs on these based on timing of pm's sent. I located them in the garage full of parts. They are like new. I want to be clear that these are the two 41mm clamps. You still need the handlebar portion and probably longer brake cables if you want to get full rise out of them. Check the website so you are sure.

I also found a speigler superbike topbridge/clamps for the stock forks I'd forgot I still had if anyone prefers to go that route instead.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
PM sent, thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Heli-bars okay but convertibars are awesome. It was the only way to go on my street fighter with 954 forks. Plus when you crash the turn, they don't break.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Hey speed demon, you bring up a good point. But is there any prob. with them working loose, from vibes or whatever? Seems like if they will twist out of the way in a lowside, they could eventually work loose to the point that when you push on a bar to drop in, it could just swing out and cause you to run wide or worse. Has this ever happened? I'm guessing re-checking bolts periodically would be a good idea either way.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Squid

Windchill is on a distinguished road
Cliby, can I have a little more info on the superbike clamp? PM sent along. WC
Old 07-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
I've not seen a set of convertibars on a VTR - does the faring need any clearance mods to make it work?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Superstock

get on the converti bar web site and look at the pictures
Old 07-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
For those of you who do have the convertibars, which bar angle do you recommend? I think the choices are 0, 4, and 9 degrees from horizontal. I was leaning towards the 4 based on the website info.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Bars...

Hey Guys
I'm in the Rockies on trip right now..This Hawk is some entertaining in the mountains. I put on a set of Tomaselli Clip-ons about 3 weeks back. These are adjustable..brought my hands about 3 in. back...2 1/2 in higher...I glued rubber blocks on steering stops...traded a little turning radius..no contact with fairing or tank..no mods to anyrhing except moving some cables and wires around...check my post on that for some pics..amazingly comfy....look classy all aluminum....bike is really easy to toss around ..more leverage..little wider..I am absolutely sold on these things.. My hero stripes are getting smaller...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Originally Posted by Lefin102
get on the converti bar web site and look at the pictures
Thanks for the tip but their photos don't show to well how ( if ? ) the bars clear the faring.

Does anyone know if these restrict lock-to-lock movement?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
99-I'll let you know in a few weeks when I get mine on, if you don't find out before then.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM
SuperBike

It depends on what range of positions you set them up for. the instructions are to set them up using existing limitations of lock and fairing. If you trim some fairing you get more rise available. They are a little bulky, so if you set them up low, you are going to lose some steering lock - your choices are to do what was suggested by adding material to the stops - or risk tank damage if you drop the bike from the bars hitting, or trapping your hands doing u-turns. Again, they require some fiddling to customize them to where you want them - but they allow the most customized fit I believe.

bill
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Windchill
Cliby, can I have a little more info on the superbike clamp? PM sent along. WC
WC
here is a link to our bike and description.

http://spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

It should indicate other necessary items. If I recall, you need the triple/clamps, and then a handlebar with bar ends or re-use your own, and longer brake lines (good time to update if you do) - actually for any significant rise on ANY of these systems you are going to have to get longer brake lines. The nice thing is you can fit any handlebar you like to get the right fit. They site indicates that fairing trimming might be necessary - I never did this when I had it mounted and was able to get a nice position using one of their superbike handlebars. If I had trimmed some fairing I would have had more range. All in all, it was a really solidly mounted package and reproduced a Tuono-like riding position and look.

bill