Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Got a box in the mail Part II

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 AM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
Got a box in the mail Part II

Gentleman (& Ladies if applicable)
Ok ....Looking forward with my Mori Cams and JE Pistons, here are a few Pics of my upgrades, from "In The Beginning".
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0027.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0061.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Back Marker

Got a box in the mail Part II continued

Moving forward...
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0062.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0063.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

Still moving forward..I take the Engine Block to the beachGot a box in the mail Part II-imag0076.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0073.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0075.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 AM
Back Marker

......Now the block needs a wash.....Thanks to my Big "Ragdoll" Cat's litter box... he will find somewhere to go...
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0078.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0079.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Back Marker

Stopped moving forward.....just waiting for new bearings...etc...and then the rebuild starts...
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0080.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0082.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Wonderful!
I would love to strip my block down to such wonder and clean up the years of junk on it.
Looking good!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
......Now the block needs a wash.....Thanks to my Big "Ragdoll" Cat's litter box... he will find somewhere to go...
Understand I hope you just stripped the protective layer of anodizing off the aluminum... and for post abrasive blast, PLEASE hot wash the case..
Media blasting parts like this is a common cause of assembly failure down the road.. media gets into blind holes, casting cracks, crevices and other places, and if pressure is too high, the media can embed the soft aluminum surface, all of which is not easily removed with compressed air or cold water.
Then once that aluminum case (or other parts) heat up, spin, vibrate, that media comes out to play.

Most race shops, Aviation shops I know of, the media blasters are not allowed in the same space /room/ building as the engine building space as they know you can not control the media to a great point unless its a positive pressure ventilated clean room kind of deal.

The poor mans fix post blasting is heated liquid wash.... can be a heated sonic tank, heated water pressure washer, dishwasher, heated aqueous parts washer or the like...

Or use a media like soda, that dissolves in water and you can wash the part with a hose after and get great results..

dry ice blasting is also a safer alternative than glass bead or other dry abrasive blasting
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Back Marker

[QUOTE=E.Marquez;405660]Understand I hope you just stripped the protective layer of anodizing off the aluminum... and for post abrasive blast, PLEASE hot wash the case..

I had the cases all taped with masking tape, the cylinder heads, all the bearing surfaces were covered. I was really just attacking the areas where the painted aluminum had gone punky. I intend to paint the whole engine once I get it all together.

Thanks for your input. I will be hot washing the case once I get all the parts ready to assemble.

Last edited by Bald Eagle; 03-13-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: I made a mistake. Still learning to use this forum.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Back Marker

Here is a better Pic of Taping the Sensitive Parts....?
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0077.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0074.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 PM
Back Marker

I got home this afternoon....and I was bored...so I decided to make a wooden frame for the block, so when it comes to torquing the bolts down on the con rods and putting the two halves together I will not need to ask the wife to hold the block. I do not know what you guys do when it comes to reassembly.
Attached Thumbnails Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0085.jpg   Got a box in the mail Part II-imag0084.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
If I need help my wife is more than willing to help out