Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Forks question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Forks question!

ok guys i know that one of the most important things i can do first to modify my bike is the suspension set up for me, now i have been lookin on ebay and such for fork springs and such because that is what i was told was needed to stiffen them up a bit, i cant find parts anywhere! i dont know that i have the mechanical ability or tools to do this job but any insight on how they fixed their front suspension problem, i am a solid 235 lb guy and i know they need to be stiffened a bit, i dont have the money to do a gsxr swap or anything so any ideas on how to make the stockers work would be great. thanks guys!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well the easiest option is to send them to Greg (Hawkrider on the forum) and have him do it. I don't remember the exact cost, but it is far less than a fork swap.

If you are going to do them yourself, you would look at getting springs sized to your weight from either Sonic or Race Tech

http://www.sonicsprings.com/
http://www.racetech.com/

You are not likely to find any on ebay, they rarely do come up used, but not very often.

Also consider re-valving them at the same time since that will help even more and they are already apart to do the springs.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
They don't need to be stiffened a bit for your 235 (not a note on anyones size) they need much much stiffer springs. You can find springs at racetech and a few others but your best set would be to buy a cheap set of forks and have them shipped to someone like jamie daugherty and have them resprung and maybe revalved. The springs aren't to much, probably less than 100. The valves are a little more. I'm sure one of our local suspension experts (greg, jamie, others?) Will let you know.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by spladle160
They don't need to be stiffened a bit for your 235 (not a note on anyones size) they need much much stiffer springs. You can find springs at racetech and a few others but your best set would be to buy a cheap set of forks and have them shipped to someone like jamie daugherty and have them resprung and maybe revalved. The springs aren't to much, probably less than 100. The valves are a little more. I'm sure one of our local suspension experts (greg, jamie, others?) Will let you know.
ahahahah well then now that im self conscious! ill go and loose...80?90? will that put me at the right weight for the forks ahah

o well! hopefully i can find some forks and i do know we have some suspension experts and i was hoping for their input on this issue, thx guys
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Forks are sprung for about 140lbs..
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
At 235lb I would suggest 0.95kg/mm springs in the forks. Just for those it would cost you $85. That's really a good start, as your budget allows there is more you can do to increase the performance of your stock forks. For another $200 you can get those completely setup for you. As you have suggested, that's some of the best money you will put into your bike. It's a fraction of the cost of slip-ons and improves the ability of the bike much more so.

Don't forget your rear suspension too!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
At 235 you have no reason to be self conscious about your weight. The much better news is you don't have to spend a thousand bucks on a Penske rear shock.

The bad news is the front sucks. I've ridden with big guys (285) on the Superhawk and they can bottom stock equipment in a parking lot.

If you do a search about the rebuild you will find a post that shows all the parts that come out of the "stack". When you find that post you will understand what I mean about suspension gurus.

If you can't afford to do the rebuild simply stay off the wrist. When you can afford to do it box them up and send them off. Fed-X actually has triangular poster tubes that perfectly fit the Superhawk legs.

Remember suspension is a factor and function of: rider + ATGATT, prevailing local road conditions, style of riding - Hawkrider quizzed me about all of it before he built my set.

I got the bike back on the road and it was "Holy ****! - I gotta new motorcycle."
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If you want the quick cheap solution (first step anyway), add a little fork oil to each leg. Thats what I did to let me not bottom until my race tech springs & valves came. Its kind of bootleg but it does help in the meantime
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
revalving the front end is not all that hard.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
I'm not self conscious about my weight, 290lbs, just get a tad sensitive if ya call me a fat f#%k without a smile on yer puss.
However, when I got my hawk the front end sucked bad, so.. while waiting to do the USD mod, I put in heavier oil, 3/4" longer spacers on top and a fork brace, night and day stability wise, if I wasn't doing the swap I'd go with new springs and if the budget allows, send em to Greg for set-up.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by nuhawk
At 235 you have no reason to be self conscious about your weight. The much better news is you don't have to spend a thousand bucks on a Penske rear shock.

The bad news is the front sucks. I've ridden with big guys (285) on the Superhawk and they can bottom stock equipment in a parking lot.

If you do a search about the rebuild you will find a post that shows all the parts that come out of the "stack". When you find that post you will understand what I mean about suspension gurus.

If you can't afford to do the rebuild simply stay off the wrist. When you can afford to do it box them up and send them off. Fed-X actually has triangular poster tubes that perfectly fit the Superhawk legs.

Remember suspension is a factor and function of: rider + ATGATT, prevailing local road conditions, style of riding - Hawkrider quizzed me about all of it before he built my set.

I got the bike back on the road and it was "Holy ****! - I gotta new motorcycle."
yea i know self conscious is not something that i am i like to know that at 5'10"ish and 235 i can easily outlift most D2 football players at my college there are SOME perks of being stocky afterall

hopefully i will have a decent budget for the SH this spring however im trying to convert my KZ650 into a cafe racer at the same time....VERY slowly but its coming along and on a college students budget and trying to mod 2 bikes...its slow going
Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by stebbdt
I'm not self conscious about my weight, 290lbs, just get a tad sensitive if ya call me a fat f#%k without a smile on yer puss.
However, when I got my hawk the front end sucked bad, so.. while waiting to do the USD mod, I put in heavier oil, 3/4" longer spacers on top and a fork brace, night and day stability wise, if I wasn't doing the swap I'd go with new springs and if the budget allows, send em to Greg for set-up.

ok good stuff guys, greg if you read this could you PM me with how much you are charging for a fork setup?? i would love to get some pricing done and see what i can and cant afford
Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Forks are sprung for about 140lbs..
Guess I will need to send my forks off to Jamie or someone and get both front and back set up for me. Can I put two sets of forks on each side to help compensate? 6'2" 290 but losing slowly.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't like pasta so much LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I don't care about the weight... That I can fix with new springs... I'm more concerned about the fit of my riding pants and my stunning profile...

Yeah, so I like pasta to...
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I know I can't get into my leather jeans anymore. I'm only 16 over but it's all in the wrong spot. A little bit of sweatin' would be the solution and being able to work more than two days at a time because of the weather would also help.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Superstock

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't like pasta so much LOL[/quote]

ahaha that made my day, pasta is my kryptonite as well... sooo good but soo bad at the same time...
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know of , well anyone in the Illinois, northwest suburbs area that can rebuild front forks? I know this is one of the "must do's" to a Hawk and being 220 I am thinking it is NEEDED!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
If you want the quick cheap solution (first step anyway), add a little fork oil to each leg. Thats what I did to let me not bottom until my race tech springs & valves came. Its kind of bootleg but it does help in the meantime
+1 on that. If you want the ultimate ghetto cheap upgrade you can also replace the oil with a heavier grade. Of course if you have the $ better to get springs and a guru to revalve it.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

OooooK... Well than that just opens the door for a BOAT LOAD of more questions. What is the cost (if I pull them) typically to get them rebuilt? Just a thought. If I yank them, how hard is it to actually rebuild them? Aaaaand, Smoking stated he was waiting for his racetech springs and valves to come in, does that mean that most likely he would be rebuilding them himself? And how... I'll stop there b4 I get too chastised for being a nube.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Sorry JD just read the blog a little more thourough and answered my own questions... (C I am a fricken newb)