Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork still good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Fork still good or bad?

I just noticed today that my left fork is showing a little grease or fluid (sitting on the bike ) I'm thinking that the dust seal is bad that's all but i dont really know anything about it just want to ask you guys what should i do? If its still good then i should just change both seal or if its bad i will need to change both fork. Since one go bad i'm sure the other one would too. Help me guys. I did look at some of the swap here i thought it was just a slip on and go but it seem more complicated than that. so i'm sticking with the stock ones.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Squid

robby26wi is on a distinguished road
inner seal is bad...replace both....
Old 07-16-2009, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace the seal set and oil on both forks. Honda only offers them as a dust & oil seal combo.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I would do the whole lot as Inderocker says for sure. The cost of the parts is not much compared to the work involved so do the whole job while you have it apart.

If you want to improve the fork action you could change the springs and valving to suit you at the same time.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 AM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys I will look into it. Shayne thanks for the suggestion maybe i would try to beef it up a little since I'ma have it worked on anyway. Thanks Guys
Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by doomcookie
I just noticed today that my left fork is showing a little grease or fluid (sitting on the bike ) I'm thinking that the dust seal is bad that's all but i dont really know anything about it just want to ask you guys what should i do?
It'll be the seal. Replace both the seal and dust cover, and as others have said, the fork oil. Do both forks whilst it's all apart, it'll save you grief later.

The parts are cheap, it's the time to tear them down that's the killer.

You can save a little time by using the hydraulic method of seal removal,

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...als/index.html

it saves stripping the whole fork. It saved me about half the time when I did both my FJ1200 seals, but it can get a little messy.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by doomcookie
I just noticed today that my left fork is showing a little grease or fluid (sitting on the bike ) I'm thinking that the dust seal is bad that's all but i dont really know anything about it just want to ask you guys what should i do? If its still good then i should just change both seal or if its bad i will need to change both fork. Since one go bad i'm sure the other one would too. Help me guys. I did look at some of the swap here i thought it was just a slip on and go but it seem more complicated than that. so i'm sticking with the stock ones.
you can give this a try to get maybe you through til you can get more time to rebuild. I did this to my xr650l a few weeks ago and so far so good. Spray a little silicone around the seal and fork tube and use the thinest feeler gauge(the flat flexible type that is about 1/2" wide). Gently insert the feeler gauge down the tube inside the outer seal rubber and move it around the outside of the tube a couple times and remove. It's so thin and flexible it goes in easily and the lubricant prevents abrasion. Do both forks. Wipe clean. I drained the oil from forks and replaced with castrol automatic transmission fluid for imports(Nissan, Honda, etc) {cause that's all i had on sunday} to proper level and so far hasn't leaked. If it holds up til winter, I'll rebuild then maybe. Only takes about an hour to do and IMO it's worth a try to buy a little time. Someone makes an official seal cleaner out of plastic, but I don't know where I saw it, but the feeler gauge worked well.