Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

flow commander adjustment

Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Squid

toeknee19 is on a distinguished road
flow commander adjustment

I have a flow commander installed and ive been adjusting it over time and can't seem to find a good setting. If i adjust it all the way out or all the way in ....seems like minimal difference. Ive looked on websites and youtube but haven't found any luck yet.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have been running one for a few years now and in many ways felt the way you do. This is not to say I felt no effect, but suffice to say I found it to be somewhat subtle. A tuning experiment two weeks ago, however, exposed me to a new dimension of "effectiveness" I didn't think it had.

I had just finished making an airbox mod to my VTR (added a second 4.5mm "shim" under the air filter). When I rode off, with the F-C set at 2.5 turns out, the bike ran like crap, a significant lag in response and surging at steady throttle. Less than 5 minutes after leaving the house, I was about to return home and "undo" what had taken me a few hours to complete when I thought I'd give the F-C a try (besides, what did I have to lose?). Three "fine tuning" stops later, I settled on the screw set at 1/2 turn out, the bike now a revelation (and blast to ride!). Response was instant, surging was gone, and bike pulled harder than before the mod. I now have a newfound respect for the device as it saved me from at least one or two tank removal-airbox removal-carb removal,.... sessions; two turns of a screw took me from despair to elation in a few short minutes, all thanks to the jetting adjustment range (I didn't think it had). Now, it must be said that I happened to test it in its most effective adjustment range area, the screw becoming ever-more effective (and sensitive) as it closes...
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a believer. Made the same sort of adjustment and was tickled that the adjustment was so easy! Make sure your carbs are very well synced for best results.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm guessing here... But the thing is, if the FC "makes no difference", the jetting is usually off...

The FC cant replace jetting, it only complements it... But it can tell you which way to go with the jetting...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, I'm guessing here... But the thing is, if the FC "makes no difference", the jetting is usually off...

The FC cant replace jetting, it only complements it... But it can tell you which way to go with the jetting...

yep, i think the same

FC can restrict the flow through the OEM pilot air jet but it can not make it flow more air - if you got 45 pilot it can fine tune it to go 44,43,42 ect.
but wont make it 50 or so

the main advantage that they say there is from the FC is that it gives both carbs the samo amount of air for the pilot circuit from one stop that is away from the turbolent air around the stacks
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chemomche
yep, i think the same

FC can restrict the flow through the OEM pilot air jet but it can not make it flow more air - if you got 45 pilot it can fine tune it to go 44,43,42 ect.
but wont make it 50 or so

the main advantage that they say there is from the FC is that it gives both carbs the samo amount of air for the pilot circuit from one stop that is away from the turbolent air around the stacks
Actually, it can to some extent... Laminar airflow, meaning air flowing through a tube, means that the FC can actually increase the airflow... It won't make a 45 into a 50, but roughly one size up is actually fully possible to create with laminar flow...

The result, you can check by going to the end points... If one feels better than the other, go one size that way, and try again...
Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Squid

toeknee19 is on a distinguished road
i am having an issue of the bike stalling during warm up and sometimes at a stop light. I have been adjusting the FC but need more time to find the correct setting that works for me. Tweety you may be correct that my jetting is off. I have a 48 pilot with stock needles shimmed at 1.5mm front and 1.75mm in the rear. Main jets are stock and carbs are synched. I have my FC setting 4 turns out .... does anybody know which way turning the adjustment screw on the FC makes it leaner or richer?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:17 PM
MotoGP

in (CW) makes it richer, out (CCW) makes it leaner.....
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Installed yesterday. Have some seat time with it and there seems to be a little better throttle response. A bit crisper, if that makes sense. Don't know if this is placebo effect or not. Going to ride again today and will try the far ends of the adjustment range. Hopfully I'll know if I will need to rejet or not. Most of my riding is right around 5K ft elevation (+/- 700ft)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM
SuperSport

I think you'll like it. Installed mine over 5 years ago. I had already installed a Dynojet Kit and adjusted the TPS and then installed the FP 4 degree advancer. Runs excellent. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:58 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
To confirm my thinking this plugs into the pilot circuit air bleed so you can adjust air entering the circuit.

Can anybody tell me which port that is? Presume the brass air bleed just pulls out? So could you turn up a new plug with a thread in it so you could screw in say a main jet from the carb to give some adjustablty without the need for the flow commander?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:33 AM
MotoGP

the "normal" F-C works on the main jet circuit, though one can get a system for the pilot jet (am currently waiting on one as a matter of fact).......
Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 AM
SuperSport

Mine works on the pilot jets. A tube runs from the FC valve to each pilot. I think I remember putting an extension tube to each pilot and hooking the hoses to them. I'll dig up my instructions and get back in a bit.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:14 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Where do you get these things?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 AM
SuperSport

Flo-Commander by Performance Design
Old 10-04-2014, 03:11 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that mate