Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Floating Rotor mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Squid

dasweep is on a distinguished road
Floating Rotor mod

Hey everyone,

Was looking into some full floating rotors. I read a while ago on a race page that you can cut the small washer that's between the button and rotor and will allow it to truly float. anyone ever try this? i have a 954 front end and rotors on. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
WHat do you mean by "fully" floating?
The Hawk rotors are floating, the washer you say get loose with time and the discs begin to rattle.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Squid

Yes, you can flatten or cut the washer so the rotor is loose on the button. It's a little noisy but it allows for some give if you have slightly warped rotors thus no chatter from them under hard braking. I found a few ways to do it, but was wondering if anyone on the thread has actually "been there, done that". See this video

Last edited by dasweep; 07-14-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Squid

Here too:

Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
interesting... didnt even think of that.

check out this video I found, this company makes proper full floating buttons and is a lot less hack and probably a lot less noisy then the first vid...

unless you dont mind sounding like a shopping cart cruisin downtown...
Old 07-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scottiemann
interesting... didnt even think of that.

check out this video I found, this company makes proper full floating buttons and is a lot less hack and probably a lot less noisy then the first vid...

Corse Dynamics Brake Rotor Floater Button - YouTube

unless you dont mind sounding like a shopping cart cruisin downtown...
If you want to convert your rotors into full floaters this is the only way to do it IMHO.....
Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Squid

merckid is on a distinguished road
other than the rolling resistance noted in the first video is there any other major benefits that would make this worth the time and the money over the stock rotors?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by merckid
other than the rolling resistance noted in the first video is there any other major benefits that would make this worth the time and the money over the stock rotors?
For a normally ridden street bike, no not really.

The advantages are a little less rolling resistance and they also generate a little less heat.

The down side is they can be noisy & the buttons wear out and need to be replaced.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
What would be the expected replacement interval for those floater buttons?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned
MotoGP

That is kind of like asking how long tires will last. There is no set answer. It has to do to with how you ride and how hard you use the brakes.

It is just something you need to know if you run full floating rotors, they will wear out and need to be replaced from time to time.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Like hawk said, no fixed intervalls, but on my racebike I usually end up swapping them at roughly the same intervalls as the pads...
Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
what is the benefit of the full floating.

To me it looks like the amount of slack in the full float would actually be a potential hazard, say you are upright doing 120mph and then lean into a highspeed sweeper and now the disc wants to stay upright while the wheel and the rest of the bike are leaned, this could push the pads/pistons out and eat up some fo the travel of the front master/lever before it actually engages and starts to do any braking... no?

I can't imagine the amount of free play in the "full" floater that was shown in the above utube vid doesn't pose a hazard for a loss of braking on first application....
Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think the advantage (for purists and racers) is they are quicker to the friction than fixed disks. Just speculation. I have been very pleased with the Pro Lites rotors that I bought from a member here. I had a mechanic tell me about cutting washers out to make the stockers float. I've never felt the need for more braking. I can stoppy from a hundred with my setup.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
what is the benefit of the full floating.

To me it looks like the amount of slack in the full float would actually be a potential hazard, say you are upright doing 120mph and then lean into a highspeed sweeper and now the disc wants to stay upright while the wheel and the rest of the bike are leaned, this could push the pads/pistons out and eat up some fo the travel of the front master/lever before it actually engages and starts to do any braking... no?

I can't imagine the amount of free play in the "full" floater that was shown in the above utube vid doesn't pose a hazard for a loss of braking on first application....
Well, with fresh buttons the play isn't near what's shown on the youtube vid, but when it's time to replace, you are getting somewhat near to it... Yeah, the disc will be moving out of sync with the wheel to a very, very small degree, but it's not really noticable in feel, and if you think about it, the rotor cannot really be at an angle to the wheel, since the buttons only allow it movement in one direction, if one end of the disc is moved "left", the other end cannot move "right", since the two bottons in the middle cannot really pivot...

I have yet to feel a loss of braking from it throwing the calipers out, but like have been said over, and over, and over again... It's for track use, and track use only... There are no benefits for road use, only drawbacks... But no, there are no dangers at all involved... Well, perhaps by DIY removing the spring washers, that could end up beeing too loose...

On track, you are either on the power, or on the brake, or slowly releasing the brake and feeding in power... You are not ***** footing around "dabbing the brakes"... You either brake, or end up in a sandtrap...

If you are riding on the street, you have a street compound and street tires, don't even consider it... If you have a track dedicated bike, with slicks, and race compound pads... Then it's an option...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-16-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 AM
MotoGP

This is a truer representation on how the buttons should move when fresh...

The buttons should move "sideways" as in the calipers clamping direction, but never, ever should the disc be able to move back and forth vs the carrier... Then you are in trouble...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
It would seem to me that the stainless steel (or cast iron) rotor and buttons would wear less than the aluminum carrier; i.e., replacing the buttons and not also the carrier will help but not restore original tolerances. No?
Old 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
I have brembo iron rotors on mine. I honestly got sick of the "shopping cart in the parking lot" sound (nearly as annoying as a Ducati dry clutch IMO) and since I am commuting 90% of the miles I put on the hawk these days, was seeing no benefit. About 2 years ago I hunted down some thicker washers and swapped out the thinner washers for those. Bada-bing! Quieted it right down. They still can move, but are a hell of a lot quieter now. I kept the originals for if I turn the hawk in to a track-only bike (not likely for me).